Upgrading the HD / OS on my Toshiba satellite

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wheezy old Toshiba is only used for updates to satnav these days plus occasional access to banking sites for which I dont want to use a portable device. I don't game or Photoshop or anything that needs lots of ram. All was well until Gsrmin withdrew support for Vista OS. :blast so I considered various options. Then I noticed a local chap on Gumtree advertising a new HD with Win10 installed too and for less tnan , a lot less than 100 quid.

Thoughts invited!

So to be clear you want to buy a new hard drive with win 10 on it and and put this into your Toshiba?

At the cost I am guessing this isn't going to be properly licensed so may stop Working at any time. That as side it really depends on what spec the Toshiba is. If it's old enough to have vista on it I am thinking it isn't going to run very well with win 10.

Just checked, if your quick you can still get a free upgrade to win 10 from Microsoft supposed to end 31/12 but they haven't taken it down yet. Same goes though check min spec.

So to be clear you want to buy a new hard drive with win 10 on it and and put this into your Toshiba?

At the cost I am guessing this isn't going to be properly licensed so may stop Working at any time. That as side it really depends on what spec the Toshiba is. If it's old enough to have vista on it I am thinking it isn't going to run very well with win 10.

Just checked, if your quick you can still get a free upgrade to win 10 from Microsoft supposed to end 31/12 but they haven't taken it down yet. Same goes though check min spec.

Yep. You are correct but the chap advertising will install the HD and Win 10. He operates out of a shop it seems so not as dodgy as you may fear perhaps. I can't install an upgrade. I don't have the original paperwork for the Toshiba (purchased at John Lewis iirc) and the Vista was installed (as an upgrade :eek) by the tech at my previous place of work. I suppose a wee dander down tom this chap's shop to check him out and let him have a look at the laptop will tell me all I need to know.

Upgrade process will tell you in 10 mins if it will work or not so you have nothing to loose.

A new HD and fully licensed for win 10 under £100 isn't legit. It may be a student license or something like that but it definitely isn't proper retail license. Dozens of wee shops get shut down weekly for piracy. That said if it works it works

Just go on Fleabay you will get a fairly new refurbished laptop with good specs for about 130 quid and you will be fine for a few more years.

Depending on the license it may have an "OEM" copy installed this said it will need configuring with all the drivers for your laptop which may not be available, ergo some hardware may not work.If you want a more modern laptop I believe there were a couple advertised recently.

What model number is it?

Lots of Microsoft Software Win10, Office 16, etc. etc. cheap on eBay, but these tend to be bulk volume licences. You can download the software from the MS website and then plug in the Licence key supplied by the eBay Seller.

I would guess the shop is supplying one of these forms of licence, which is not exactly legit for a private user. These licences (Volume Licences) are designed for large organisations where they run 400 PCs or so. So long as the seller has not exceeded the total number of installs for a given licence, it will probably activate OK.

But as said, if your PC is very old, then you may have hardware/driver issues.

Grey Beard

Back
Top Bottom