Shorty after a RT

Rick B

Reaction score
Hello, I think I'm in the right area(probably get slated if I'm not but hey ho)
This looked the best site Uk based to get some advise on buying a R1200rt.
Anyhow I'm Rick 50yr old from Derbyshire, currently riding a 2012 Diavel and a 08 NT700 :homer ville,
Me and the wife love getting out on the bikes and since getting the NT we have got the touring bug, and although the NT is a great bike (with only 19k on the clock)I don't think it will be up to doing a trip to Santander then up to Zebrugge,Ive always loved the looks and practicality of the RT but (and here goes) its the seat height and weight of them, The Ducatis an awesome bike and even at 5',6" and 66kgand a 29 inside legI can flat foot and walk it backwards whilst still on it, The NT,well I had the seat lowered, dropped the shock top eye and now its functional for the pair of us.
The question I was going to ask is (I presume its been asked before) ,,should I chop the pair of them in for an RT? I know I need to test one first but I don't think I want to make a prick of myself at a dealers, saying that if I was to shell out around 12k,what mods would or are available for a pair of short arses wanting to see a bit more of the world?
I know there will be the odd 1 or 2 saying "You not looked at a VFR?FJR ect?" but I'm pretty stuck on the RT,s.
Like I say "I'm just testing the water" so be be gentle.
Cheers
Rick
:)

Hi Rick

Try one at a dealers and put the seat on the lowest setting.

You won't be making a prick of your self as only you can decide if it feels right for you.

They are great bikes and hide the weight well with a low centre of gravity etc.

Better to try than buy and regret it.

Having said that, I came from a GS to and RT and am thinking of going back to a GS.

Both brilliant bikes.

The RT will initially feel a bit of a lump compared to your present bike, but once you are acclimatised the RT is nimble enough. No problem with power or comfort.
The only fault I found was the mirrors, i fitted auxiliary handlebar mirrors.
I you carry a pillion they will love it.

Lots of RT fans and owners here. As above, try one out at the dealer. The liquid cooled RT is hefty but the weight is low down and this only time it becomes an issue is stopping and starting and passenger mount and dismount. The former requires a bit of planning before you park. The latter requires a bit of training for your pillion. :D

I know a few people who are lower than average and they ride GSs and RTs, GSs are factory lowered, I think the RT just needs a seat adjustment.

Plenty of dealers to help relieve you of 12k

Good luck and safe riding.

HI Rick ,
You Just have to get the lowered front seat and you will not have a problem. I ride a 2015 RT i have a 29in leg and ride two up alot. This bike is made for two up touring you will have no problem at all, you need to sit on a standered bike with the lowered seat on and you will not want to get off it..
The bike is very well balanced if she is moving at all and very easy to handle, the weight is not a issue .

I could not recommed a RT enough for two up touring are just a blast on your own :)

Hello Rick,

I have a 29" leg and currently ride a 2014 R1200RT LC with LOW front seat. No problem at all.

A tip when taking off centre stand or placing on centre stand - switch the engine on and the bike sits a little lower on its suspension - when pulling up on to centre stand rock the bike forward and back and on backwards motion pull it on the stand (foot pressed on side of stand - you will find it easier to this way than with ignition off.

I've ridden RTs since R80Rt through to current RT and also had a GS and GSA, both with lowered front seats - all were fine.

I am currently 76 years old!

Safe riding,
Mike

Thanks for all the response and advice, Sorry ive not got back earlier, Well I went and had a look at one, a 2016 Le with full luggage low seat and 5800 on the clock, all for £13000. and you were right they not as cumbersome as I had thought,totally the opposite, the wife struggled to get on with the panniers due to her waiting for a knee op, but if we get it I'm sure we'll develop a way, on the NT there fixed panniers so if were not near a curb I just lean it over enough for her to do the dying Flamingo and slide on.
Are there any issues I need to look at before I make the plunge, its obviously a clean bike and comes with 4 months warranty and also lifetime engine and gearbox warranty as long as I get the servicing done at the dealer. I will be needing a NavV as there's just a blank plate at the moment but other than that everything looks hunky dory.
Anyhow I'll let you know how I get on ,, there will be a tear shed when I se the Ducati go I must admit.
Stay safe
Rick

Thanks for all the response and advice, Sorry ive not got back earlier, Well I went and had a look at one, a 2016 Le with full luggage low seat and 5800 on the clock, all for £13000. and you were right they not as cumbersome as I had thought,totally the opposite, the wife struggled to get on with the panniers due to her waiting for a knee op, but if we get it I'm sure we'll develop a way, on the NT there fixed panniers so if were not near a curb I just lean it over enough for her to do the dying Flamingo and slide on.
Are there any issues I need to look at before I make the plunge, its obviously a clean bike and comes with 4 months warranty and also lifetime engine and gearbox warranty as long as I get the servicing done at the dealer. I will be needing a NavV as there's just a blank plate at the moment but other than that everything looks hunky dory.
Anyhow I'll let you know how I get on ,, there will be a tear shed when I se the Ducati go I must admit.
Stay safe
Rick

When we are travelling fully loaded, to make mounting easier for the Mrs; I leave the bike on the side stand, and she gets on my perch and slides back, and I step over and lift the whole lot off the side stand. It's not an RT, but the method should work for anything. :beerjug:

You could buy a 17 plate for similar money and with similar mileage - but no stereo.

Mine has just gone on Autotrader

First of all you could tour anywhere 2 up on a deauville. I’ve had 2. Secondly there isn’t a lot of difference between the weight of both bikes. The dry weight of the deauville is 238 kg. Bmw always quote a wet weight and that’s about 260 kg with fuel and oil ect. I can’t see anyone who can manage a deauville having problems with a RT. JJH

First of all you could tour anywhere 2 up on a deauville. I’ve had 2. Secondly there isn’t a lot of difference between the weight of both bikes. The dry weight of the deauville is 238 kg. Bmw always quote a wet weight and that’s about 260 kg with fuel and oil ect. I can’t see anyone who can manage a deauville having problems with a RT. JJH

+1 this is spot on, I've also had a deauville and you won't notice any difference in weight, but huge differences when it comes to handling, acceleration, protection and 2-up capability. Stock seat on low setting or low seat will get round your inseam.
If you want to lose a little width for day to day use; I'm rocking a set of slimline city pannier lids, for holiday/touring duties it's a case of four bolts and all is stock again.

Rick. I have an RT LE with all the kit (radio etc) and best all round bike I have ever had....so easy to ride and manoeuvre and I am 292 inside legs. I bought a low seat but don't actually use it.

Davel's bike is a great buy at the £12k ish he was looking for and you don't really need the bmw radio.....just get a pair of sena 20s Bluetooth sets. brilliant for communication and have built in radio etc. BMW radio is not worth it

I would buy Davels bike if I had the money in cash but have my 64 plate RT so suspect you might also have same issue to get rid of bikes before you buy on (or easy to px)

I always fancied a Diavel....lots of fun but not an allrounder........unless you have the tourer version with the screen and panniers etc

Rick. I have an RT LE with all the kit (radio etc) and best all round bike I have ever had....so easy to ride and manoeuvre and I am 292 inside legs. I bought a low seat but don't actually use it.

Davel's bike is a great buy at the £12k ish he was looking for and you don't really need the bmw radio.....just get a pair of sena 20s Bluetooth sets. brilliant for communication and have built in radio etc. BMW radio is not worth it

I would buy Davels bike if I had the money in cash but have my 64 plate RT so suspect you might also have same issue to get rid of bikes before you buy on (or easy to px)

I always fancied a Diavel....lots of fun but not an allrounder........unless you have the tourer version with the screen and panniers etc

I have a mate who might be interestedin the Deauville if you can let me have details of colour mileage and price etc etc

Hi John
Thanks for advice,Yeah the Diavels a great bike but for practicality ,,Its just really a summer bike , some purists may disagree,Ive managed to pick up a 16 plate RT Le for a good trade in of the Diavel and NT,Hopefully pick it up Tuesday,theres no audio on it which I'm pretty glad of as it wouldn't have been used, At the moment weve got F5Mc comms which are pretty good ,the radio on them is average, but I might invest in Sena,s sometime,, I just need to pick up a Nav5 as I cant get see anywhere to fit my trusty 340lm.I looked at Davels just before I got this one, nice in white ,but I would have had to get my 2 sold first which would have dragged things out so I just took a hit an threw them at the dealer
Rick

Back
Top Bottom