BMW Off Road Skills - 2018 booked

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a lot of fun in September 2017 on the BMW Off Road Skills Course - Level 1

So this year, me and my mate have decided to continue the training.

We've booked the BMW Off Road Skills Level 2 Foundation Course for August 2018

I'm then going it alone in September 2018 on the Level 2.

Plan being, in 2019, He will probably do the Level 2 then, and I might join him as a refresher for me.

See you there? :thumb2

You will enjoy it I did the course twice in 2017 ,I have a 4 dayer booked for April foundation and level 2 followed by 2 days at Honda on the AT I cant wait :D

You will enjoy it I did the course twice in 2017 ,I have a 4 dayer booked for April foundation and level 2 followed by 2 days at Honda on the AT I cant wait :D

Haha nice :D

Enjoy, your offroad skills will improve no end

Hope so, I'm banking the skill and knowledge to offset my bike repair costs after repeated failed attempts to look like I know what I'm doing :D :D

I meant to add it helps if you find a car park or better a shallow gravel incline and do some practice before hand on your tight turning and pegs weighting at slow speeds.

I meant to add it helps if you find a car park or better a shallow gravel incline and do some practice before hand on your tight turning and pegs weighting at slow speeds.

Ok will do.

Luckily I have a mate who has access to gravel car park. So I'll get some practice in then.

Only downside is I'm doing the BMW Course on a R1200GS when in fact, my off-roading will be on my DCT Africa Twin.

My mate wants a BMW R1200GSA Low Seat model, so I'm tied in with this BMW Course with him now so I'll see it through :)

Yea I had the DCT last year at Honda for a couple of days,I had to adapt the off roading technique due to a lack of manual clutch control but it was all good fun .The 1200GS is a beast though it just glides up hills in second no problem and is really is just as well balanced as the AT.

82e617095c1145e282a426a1a5414102.png

Its not about leg length it about technique, the BMW team have a 4 foot something lady tutor and you should see her ride the 1200 no problems :D

Its not about leg length it about technique, the BMW team have a 4 foot something lady tutor and you should see her ride the 1200 no problems :D

Yes but he's 55 years old and has no technique.

Getting him off road in the first place is an achievement now he's retired :D

Go on your own to Honda then ? It may well be the best £500 you spend on that AT

Go on your own to Honda then ? It may well be the best £500 you spend on that AT

Yeah I will.

I'm doing a 5 Country Border Crossing Tour in Spring (might include John O'Groats to Lands End), then messing about all Summer, then my two Off Road days in August and September. In the meantime I need to get a couple of City Breaks and a Main Holiday booked.

So that's it.... NO TIME LEFT, or I'll keel over stone dead !

Ok will do.

Luckily I have a mate who has access to gravel car park. So I'll get some practice in then.

Only downside is I'm doing the BMW Course on a R1200GS when in fact, my off-roading will be on my DCT Africa Twin.

My mate wants a BMW R1200GSA Low Seat model, so I'm tied in with this BMW Course with him now so I'll see it through :)

Why not book on the new 800GS then? That’ll be similar weight/ size/ power to your AT.

Why not book on the new 800GS then? That’ll be similar weight/ size/ power to your AT.

Because I'm not trying to replicate the HAT.

I had the GSA first and wanted to learn how to develop my skillset on that. My mate intends to get a GSA this year, so it made sense.

In the meantime I bought the HAT, which is a DCT anyways... so although skills can transfer, I really need to get some practice on the DCT Model.

Its not sn issue for me as my priority is to have fun with my mates first.

I still ride the GSA so its still relevant, on road or not.

Because I'm not trying to replicate the HAT.

I had the GSA first and wanted to learn how to develop my skillset on that. My mate intends to get a GSA this year, so it made sense.

In the meantime I bought the HAT, which is a DCT anyways... so although skills can transfer, I really need to get some practice on the DCT Model.

Its not sn issue for me as my priority is to have fun with my mates first.

But you said “Only downside is I'm doing the BMW Course on a R1200GS when in fact, my off-roading will be on my DCT Africa Twin.” :nenau

But you said “Only downside is I'm doing the BMW Course on a R1200GS when in fact, my off-roading will be on my DCT Africa Twin.” :nenau

Its the DCT Techniques you can't replicate

Back
Top Bottom