GS Footpegs on Rockster

sykospain

Reaction score
Last year sometime, or maybe during 2016, somebody posted on one of the Boxer forums that swapping out the crunched-knee Rockster footpegs for a more comfortable ride with GS footpegs fitted was a straightforward procedure.

Er, no...

Whilst on Christmas hols here in the unceasingly rainy n.w of the UK, I had to spend a whole day yesterday during the brief hours of daylight at this time of year, in a dimly-lit motor engineer's workshop complete with lathe, welder, reamer, etc., and some experienced mechanicking help, before the swap-over could be successfully achieved.

Revised high and low pressure hydraulic lines were needed, a new location on the gearshift pedal to line up with the shifter splined mechanism had to be found, and several other hackings were required, like for instance a newly-fabricated longer piston rod for the brake cylinder..

Trouble was, once started, we had to complete the job...

The moral of the story - don't effing-well bother ! Put up with the achey-breaky knees.

GS_Brake_fitted_a.jpg

GS_Gear_Fitted.jpg

AL in s.e. Spain

.................or buy a lowering kit from Motorworks for about £120!

Quite right Adrian - I did that a couple of times on my two separate R1150S sports bikes. But the complete GS kit from James Sherlock was less than £80 and in pristine condition...
The job was indeed a PITA, finally discovering at the end of the work that the loop on the side stand is hard to locate with a boot-heel 'cos of the changes. Manageable though...

ah yes, the rockster

Rode one once, it was worse than a monkey bike in terms of comfort and had the turning circle of a train....

horrible, horrible bike

Really not for me at all

Ok, so just done this mod on my 1150r. I found it easy to do. The mechanic less so!lol. Anyhow if you use the complete 1150gs peg set it’s a lot easier and we only had to relocate the rear brake cylinder and bend 1 pipe. The ride is now awesome with the bar risers as well and rotated back towards me. Actually feels a lot like a GS. We never even disconnected the brakes. The side stand loop is indeed harder to access now and the centre stand catches the left hanger so it’s now about 6cm proud in total. It needs to get past the left peg hanger at about 3cm. Anyone got any ideas how to mod the centre stand? Do I bend CS, or grind off some of to the peg hangers? It seems to only need a small adjustment and I can’t imagine that too much stress is placed on the hangers? Ground out the CS x2 on my recent ride and obv on both sides. So how and can I bend the stand? Grind off the footstool and some of the CS? Bend CS? Ideas please

Back
Top Bottom