1150GS swing arm on an 1100GS to fit 1150 shock - possible?

gog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having been looking out for a decent set of used suspension units (ohlins etc) for my 1100GS I see that more come up for the 1150. I know the fronts are interchangeable, and the rears not due to how they attach on the swing arm.

Question is, with 1150 swing arms available used for not much money, will one fit straight on to an 1100 allowing fitment of both 1150 shocks?

Hi seeing as the subframe is the same on both bikes, I would assume the swingarms are the the same they both have the same wheelbase use the same wheels etc if you could get a swing arm cheap enough to give it a try just had a look on ebay and James sherlock has one off an 02 1150gs for £69 ..

They have different gearbox casings though, so the pivot mountings need looking at. They may be different.

1150 swing arm is shorter than 1100's to accommodate for the longer gearbox.

Hi seeing as the subframe is the same on both bikes, I would assume the swingarms are the the same they both have the same wheelbase use the same wheels etc if you could get a swing arm cheap enough to give it a try just had a look on ebay and James sherlock has one off an 02 1150gs for £69 ..

The subframe is not the same. The 1100GS subframe has a different mount on the RHS.

OP - this is a very complicated method to solve a simple problem. Go and buy an aftermarket shock for the 1100 - it'll be cheaper and easier in the end...

The subframe is not.... this is a very complicated method to solve a simple problem. Go and buy an aftermarket shock for the 1100 - it'll be cheaper and easier in the end...
+1 :thumb

Using a sledge hammer to crack is not the answer gog.

Cheers guys, clears that up. Would have been a simple solution if it *did* just fit, but it doesn't, case solved. Im not usually one to go pissing about with complex solutions to simple problems ;)

The YSS I have on the rear just now is actually not bad. Grass is always greener and all that.

The subframe is not the same. The 1100GS subframe has a different mount on the RHS.

OP - this is a very complicated method to solve a simple problem. Go and buy an aftermarket shock for the 1100 - it'll be cheaper and easier in the end...

Oh right I saw a subframe on ebay that said it was for an 1100/1150 so jus thought they were..learn sumat new every day :):thumb2

+1 :thumb

Using a sledge hammer to crack is not the answer gog.

Mike O and Paul G are spot-on. Go buy an aftermarket shock. You'll spend more time and energy trying to rig your own solution than you will to do it properly.

Back
Top Bottom