P&O FERRYS CONSIDERING A ROUTE TO SCANDINAVA

I'm up for that! An easy route to the 2019 MotoGP in Finland.

It’d be nice to see, but I suspect it would be freight-orientated if it ever came off.

Was there not a petition sent a few years ago - in support of a ferry? (Mostly lauded by motorcyclists who would ‘maybe’ use it once every 5 yrs...... or never).

Al

I'd imagine more from Scandinavia and Germany would use it to come here rather than Brits going the other way but I reckon Blackal has it with the once in 5 yrs comment...sadly

It’d be nice to see, but I suspect it would be freight-orientated if it ever came off.

Was there not a petition sent a few years ago - in support of a ferry? (Mostly lauded by motorcyclists who would ‘maybe’ use it once every 5 yrs...... or never).

Al

If it did go a head then I suspect that Blackal's comments would be about right. Wife and I always made use of the Rosyth-Zeebrugge, Hull is not to bad but a pain in the arse 4 hour drive to get there doesn't help.

The Courier is also running the article and with the idea of using Dundee, though not sure how they would load the vehciles without major investment on the dockside to achieve this:eek:

They couldn't make the Newcastle to Norway route pay and despite much discussion it doesn't appear as if it will start up again in the near future.

Unfortunately a couple of dozen motorcyclists saying they will use a ferry route in a year will hold no sway with ferry operators

If it did go a head then I suspect that Blackal's comments would be about right. Wife and I always made use of the Rosyth-Zeebrugge, Hull is not to bad but a pain in the arse 4 hour drive to get there doesn't help.

The Courier is also running the article and with the idea of using Dundee, though not sure how they would load the vehciles without major investment on the dockside to achieve this:eek:

It's funny because it was the courier site where I first read this today, on all subsequent article from other sources there was absolutely no mention of Dundee at all, so kinda put the couriers version in it's place disappointingly but like Blackal says, I'd use it....possibly once every 4 years though :rolleyes:

You try to be not too pessimistic about these matters, but we have been here before, several times.
The Ro-ro terminal in Dundee, (nothing more than a jetty that moves with the tide) was installed in the late 70's. At the time the Courier heralded a new age of ferries between Europe and Scotland with tourism being a great source of custom. It never happened, and if the Ro-ro still exists, I don't know what its used for but a roof-rack laden Ford Cortina never ever used it. The Courier is just reminding everyone that geographically, Dundee is in a good position for such a ferry.
Car ferries ran from Aberdeen, and/or Scrabster at one time as well.
The Superfast Ferries deal with Holyrood was that they were subsidised, and when that contract ran out, the ferries stopped.
My mate and I have a solid plan to include a tour of Norway in 2020 into an extended run through Europe, so if the ferry is running by then, I will be delighted. If it comes to nothing, then I will not be surprised, but will be prepared for a 1000 mile detour via Holland, Denmark, Sweden........... the same as everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom