Suspension problem?

Cyclistbruce

Reaction score
Have noticed that the ride on my GS has suddenly become more unpredictable and I can't really see the reason why. Started when I slow approached a barrier at work, like I do every day, and almost lost control. Since then I've noticed that the handling seems less sure and that I can feel every bump in the road (although may just be more concious of it I guess). Tyre pressures and wear are fine and I haven't adjusted the suspension.

Its hard to describe the issue, but just feels suddenly different/wrong. Any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting?

Is the difference solely in the harshness of the ride? You say you almost lost control. Say more about what happened. It's hard to do anything more than guess without additional information. Year, model, and miles of the bike will help, too.

It's just a thought, but maybe check the state of the ball joint on the telelever, where it meets the lower fork yoke.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It's just a thought, but maybe check the state of the ball joint on the telelever, where it meets the lower fork yoke.

My first thought.
After that, final drive pivot bearings and then paralever pivot bearings.
Also check the rear shocklower mount bolt (wouldnt hut to check the rear shock upper bolt either)
all simple items

I'd check the damping in case it's lost it's oil and you haven't noticed a slow leak?

Cool will do that tomorrow. Just thought, had burnt oil on the cat which I put down to a leaking gerabox seal which I have replaced. Could have been oil from the shock...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cool will do that tomorrow. Just thought, had burnt oil on the cat which I put down to a leaking gerabox seal which I have replaced. Could have been oil from the shock...

A-ha! The suggestion of a (somewhat suddenly) blown shock makes the most sense of all the ideas posted so far.

So, rear strut has virtually no oil. Might refill and see how it goes as it's not a repairable part is it?

Also, little bleeding grub screw is stuck tight so refilling will be fun and games.

So, rear strut has virtually no oil. Might refill and see how it goes as it's not a repairable part is it?

Also, little bleeding grub screw is stuck tight so refilling will be fun and games.

Might not be worth the effort. If I were in your situation, I’d just go for a new, aftermarket shock (front and rear if you can afford it). The ride quality, performance, and lifespan typically are much better, not to mention many (most?) are rebuildable.

Out of curiosity, which bike is this? Are the shocks original and/or how many miles/kms are on them?

In any case I’m glad you found the cause, because now you can fix it!

Bohdan

Just thinking about it, when I bought it the preload was screwed right down. In fact I had to get molegrips on it to loosen it about 3 months ago. I reckon the cylinder in the preload adjuster didn't move initially and has now finally been pushed up taking away on the damping - if that makes sense?!?!

Any advice on aftermarket - not Ohlins, I'm not that rich!!

Will have a look (and save!), shocks seem to be behaving after refilling, for now.

NO DONT DO IT

Oh? Why not please? I have to put my bike back on the road after my crash and was going to have mine rebuilt while the bike is pulled apart for the bits to be sorted. As I have never had aftermarket shocks on ANY bike ever, and I have never had a problem with standard ones in many, many miles, standard refurbed would suit me fine. I have heard ABE recommended before on here, now you say don't. What do you know?

King Rat. Glad to hear you're on the mend and looking to get the bike sorted.

I can't answer the ABE question, but would definitely suggest treating yourself to some slightly more posh suspension. By the sound of the miles you cover, it would be well worth it. Additionally, they are completely serviceable, unlike the oem (well, definitely the front oem, but to an extent it's true of the rear also).

I'd highly recommend getting yourself something a notch up from the oem...your worth it :)

Oh? Why not please? I have to put my bike back on the road after my crash and was going to have mine rebuilt while the bike is pulled apart for the bits to be sorted. As I have never had aftermarket shocks on ANY bike ever, and I have never had a problem with standard ones in many, many miles, standard refurbed would suit me fine. I have heard ABE recommended before on here, now you say don't. What do you know?

Have a look at this

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...u-got-a-1100gs-with-standard-rear-shock-if-so

Back
Top Bottom