Gaels return to West Africa

fac6fbf9b9ecc8a64bacb57dc5157b11.jpg

And a brief word on the bike which uncomplainingly lugged us around Senegal and Guinea Bissau:

R1150GS twin spark 2003 model (the so called dreaded servo brake model)
Now got about 78,000 miles on the clock, of which 70,000 ridden by me (I bought it as a 1 year old German import from the unlamented SPC motorcycles, based where Bahnstormer now are in Hants.

Over the years I have
-decatted it (after a first trip to Western Sahara 10 years ago killed the cat with only leaded petrol available)
-had brilliant auxiliary lights fitted
-tobinators of course, and recently little wings on fairing which were brilliant in the long cold ride to Iran in 2016
-muffs were an early addition and stayed on all the way to Jordan in 2008, and across the Sahara this time. Finally removed them in Banjul.

I am sure there is other stuff that has been forgotten (oh the loud Stiebel form which is great!) But it has served me faithfully for nearly 14 years and it will be a wrench if I have to leave it on this trip .

Throughout this period it has been serviced by Steptoe so credit to him that (apart from a failed clutch seal) it has been pretty problem free 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼.

I will see if I can get my lady pillion to add her perspective, in case any readers' wives () are thinking of doing something similar in a hot climate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last but not least to end this chapter, the pillion spills the beans:
51c009d12b24b0ad63314d023b8b62f9.jpg

What was good...

-Great views from the back of a bike, and great for taking photos

- incredible friendliness of West African people, and their interest in our trip

- also a great way to interact with people by the roadside, especially as Kit was wearing an open face helmet
5136801998c39acb2b4aac771e83b81a.jpg

-apparently the navigator did a good job and the choice of lodgings was also approved!

- also, the standard GS saddle was comfortable (hurray, as Kit was used to my old electraglide throne and my RT, both v comfortable).

Not so good:

- the heat when sat behind the rider. Kit devised a cunning way to squirt water from her Camelback onto her technical shirt to cool down

- being chucked off the bike in the sands of the Saloum delta (which I have to say Kit took like a trooper and only regrets not taking photo of the felled GS in the sand)

In summary, Kit says she 'would do it all over again'.

The best thing we did was to buy very ventilated light weight bike gear, which made a huge difference! I bought mine before the ride from England to Senegal and was so pleased Kit got a similar suit and also loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom