R850r non starter looking for some help

Dellis

Reaction score
This is my pals bike that was dropped off with me a few months ago to sort out but I ended up not having much time but have now got round to looking at it.

The bike initially had a very weak spark and no fuel to the injectors. Whilst sat in my workshop the battery has also died.

Work completed so far.

Replaced battery
Replaced hall sensor with a used item from Motorworks
Replaced right hand ht lead
Checked all connectors

So now I have a good spark, the fuel pump is priming but no fuel at the injectors.

Any ideas welcome.

Just had a thought, does the side stand switch cut the fuel or act as a kill switch? I’m asking as the bike cranks and sparks with the side stand up or down.

Thanks
Dave

AFAIK, so long as the bikes in neutral then what you say should be ok with side stand down.

Tried pulling the clutch in before spinning her up?

I'd be tempted to squirt quickstart down the induction to see if she runs on that, this way you can focus on fuel supply or rule it out..
If she still won't fire with quickstart and you have confirmed spark is good, then i'd be checking compression and timing.

Check the pipes from the tank are the correct way round onto the plastic fuel pipes. I’ve mixed them up before and it wouldn’t run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel pump? I think this was an issue on the early 1200s but not sure about the 850 or 1150.

The fuel pump is priming and running the correct cycle.

AFAIK, so long as the bikes in neutral then what you say should be ok with side stand down.

Tried pulling the clutch in before spinning her up?

I'd be tempted to squirt quickstart down the induction to see if she runs on that, this way you can focus on fuel supply or rule it out..
If she still won't fire with quickstart and you have confirmed spark is good, then i'd be checking compression and timing.

Yes I've tried the clutch in, the quick start is a plan I'll give that a go.

Quote fuel pump priming,but no fuel at injectors,
No fuel pressure or injectors not operating?
Have you used a noid lamp into the injector connector to test for an earth pulse and feed?

I haven't tried that but will give it a go. Edit - just ordered a set of noid lamps

Check the pipes from the tank are the correct way round onto the plastic fuel pipes. I’ve mixed them up before and it wouldn’t run.

Now this is a good point, prior to coming to me it went to another guy who had broken one of the fuel connectors, I've replace the damaged one but assumed that the connector that was connected was correctly connected. Edit - just been out and checked the connectors and they have a male and female on the tank side so can't be connected the wrong way round

Thanks for the replies guys, will be later in the week before I get back in there but will give you an update.

Dave

Undo the clamp on the lower pipe (It should be the pressure side of the fuel system) and stick the front section of the fuel hose into a gallon can and switch on ignition

Check and see are you getting any pressure at all ??? should sound like a tap fairly well on! :D

I have seen the rubber U bend pipe in the tank by the filter either blow off or split so any pressure just pisses out "inside" the tank

Undo the clamp on the lower pipe (It should be the pressure side of the fuel system) and stick the front section of the fuel hose into a gallon can and switch on ignition

Check and see are you getting any pressure at all ??? should sound like a tap fairly well on! :D

I have seen the rubber U bend pipe in the tank by the filter either blow off or split so any pressure just pisses out "inside" the tank

Thanks for that, I’ll try when I’m back in the workshop probably tomorrow evening :thumb

Edit - just been out to the garage to try something, I opened the filler lid and turned the ignition on and can hear the pump and fuel splashing inside the tank, sounds to me like we could have an answer - any thoughts?

Thanks for that, I’ll try when I’m back in the workshop probably tomorrow evening :thumb

Edit - just been out to the garage to try something, I opened the filler lid and turned the ignition on and can hear the pump and fuel splashing inside the tank, sounds to me like we could have an answer - any thoughts?

I’ve clamped the return off and am still getting fuel splashing in the tank so we may be getting there

I’ll keep you posted.

Yes, thats a common problem, I've broken down at roadside with the high pressure pipe coming off inside the tank. Exactly as described, splashing inside tank is the symptom.

If you're quick enough to get the pipe back on and tight, the big O ring wouldn't have expanded much so you shouldnt struggle too much getting it back on the tank.

Sounds like a nice cheap fix. Well done Drfarkof, I'd forgotten about that.:beerjug:

Yes, thats a common problem, I've broken down at roadside with the high pressure pipe coming off inside the tank. Exactly as described, splashing inside tank is the symptom.

If you're quick enough to get the pipe back on and tight, the big O ring wouldn't have expanded much so you shouldnt struggle too much getting it back on the tank.

Sounds like a nice cheap fix. Well done Drfarkof, I'd forgotten about that.:beerjug:

While it’s off Im changing the fuel filter so I’ve ordered a new o ring.

Depends on the year of the 850R.... the OP hasn't mentioned a year.

The 850 has two variants, an 1100 based 850 and a 1150 version.

Depends on the year of the 850R.... the OP hasn't mentioned a year.

The 850 has two variants, an 1100 based 850 and a 1150 version.

It’s a 2003 model.

Just tested the injector power feed with the noid lamp and all is well there.

Tank drained, I’ve cleaned the fuel pump flange bolts, liberally dosed them with penatrating oil and they are nice and free so just waiting for the filter and o ring to arrive from Motorworks and we’ll have a look inside. I’m now pretty sure it’s a pipe inside the tank as
I popped round to my pals place last night to have a listen to his and the splashing sound is not there on his.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

The Beemer lives :thumb the fuel pipe was disconnected from the pump, it’s back together and running as it should

Thanks to all that have helped particularly DrFarkoff who identified the fault and gave me some helpful advice.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom