What do you think of this GS......

A lot of effort to save a few quid. Plenty of other GSs for sale out there. Think longer term when you are trying to move it on.

I think you could break that up and almost break even, if the pictures accurately reflect its condition. Adv large tank £500ish; Rear Ohlins £250ish; Adv wheels £350ish - you wouldn't have to go much further to reach £1500. I'd think it a reasonable basis for a project at that price - unless you find that the subframe mounts on the gearbox have broken, or there is hidden damage not obvious in the pics (like the rear shock being damaged for example). I'd need to see it in person before bidding...

EDIT - The rear subframe may be OK - it looks more like the pannier rails have taken a bump - but once again, when considering something like this, you need a close inspection. Also remember that the completed project would still be a Cat B write-off, and therefore less valuable on the market when you come to sell it...

I think you could break that up and almost break even, if the pictures accurately reflect its condition. Adv large tank £500ish; Rear Ohlins £250ish; Adv wheels £350ish - you wouldn't have to go much further to reach £1500. I'd think it a reasonable basis for a project at that price - unless you find that the subframe mounts on the gearbox have broken, or there is hidden damage not obvious in the pics (like the rear shock being damaged for example). I'd need to see it in person before bidding...

EDIT - The rear subframe may be OK - it looks more like the pannier rails have taken a bump - but once again, when considering something like this, you need a close inspection. Also remember that the completed project would still be a Cat B write-off, and therefore less valuable on the market when you come to sell it...
Cat b cannot go back on the road ,can it?
They State Frame no removal?
So no chance of getting a v5 on that vin no
Will need reframing so will have new reg no and therefore will not be on the database

Will need reframing so will have new reg no and therefore will not be on the database

Yep, looking at frames, there about £400 for one with a V5, would really like to get for £1000 then it would be worth it cos its never going to be worth big money, with its history...
Not too far from me so i might take a look in person

Whats the score with getting keys cut? can it be done from the barrel?

Yep, looking at frames, there about £400 for one with a V5, would really like to get for £1000 then it would be worth it cos its never going to be worth big money, with its history...
Not too far from me so i might take a look in person

Whats the score with getting keys cut? can it be done from the barrel?

yes you can get bmw keys made to vin no. but you would need the original V5

get a new ignition barrel

is the VIN related to the engine serial number?
if not, then when you get a new frame, how does the whole assembly of parts (the bike) get a VIN?

get a new ignition barrel

is the VIN related to the engine serial number?
if not, then when you get a new frame, how does the whole assembly of parts (the bike) get a VIN?

I would be looking at a frame and V5 from a breaker, moto works etc and swop the running gear, engine etc over to the new frame

You cannot put the bike back onto the road using the original regd nos or VIN number.

Looking at the DVLA website if it had been your bike prior to the accident and had a damaged frame and was not written off (ie no insurance claim made) and you replaced the bent frame with a brand new one from BMW you could retain the original regd nos.

However , as the bike has basically lost its identity and cannot go back on the road with that regd nos. you will end up with a Q plated bike even if you used a brand new frame from BMW with a receipt..

Similarly if the bike was yours and not been subject to an insurance claim (even it it still had its original identity) and was rebuilt around a used frame (and you have the v5c for that frame) it will end up on a Q plate .

Rebuilding a cat b write off that cannot officially go back on the road into a used frame with a V5C again means a Q plate as you cannot retain the used frames identity

If you have a different frame with v5 and reg no,what’s stopping you using said number etc?
Who’s to know?
I build specials using S/H frames all the time:confused:
I currently have 4 frames with v5s for project bikes

No, it can't - I was thinking of Cat C. I wonder why they Cat B'ed it? It doesn't look bent...:confused:

If you have a different frame with v5 and reg no,what’s stopping you using said number etc?
Who’s to know?
I build specials using S/H frames all the time:confused:

Not saying that you can't get away with using a used frame and its registration number (many indeed do ) , however, officially you cannot build a bike into a used frame without going down the Q plate route, especially when the majority of the parts come from a cat b write off ....................................... or in the case of many in the past an identical stolen bike.

In the case of this particular bike I would be concerned that the collision hasn't transfered the impact into the engine /gearbox casings, if it hasn't then it may be worth buying to use parts on a damaged /higher mileage bike of your own but not to put back on the road

The new cat b is any frame damage , so even if a bolt on subframe is damaged and there is no damage to the main frame it looks like there is not going to be any leeway on the category assigned .

When the new categories came in it was one of the questions I asked , it appears that the DVLA are not going to be giving assessors the ability to use commonsense

The new cat b is any frame damage , so even if a bolt on subframe is damaged and there is no damage to the main frame it looks like there is not going to be any leeway on the category assigned .

When the new categories came in it was one of the questions I asked , it appears that the DVLA are not going to be giving assessors the ability to use commonsense

Yep that's how I read it.
But simple to change the top frame, with the VIN number & away you go.

Unless I'm missing something..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180108-195404.jpg
    Screenshot_20180108-195404.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 389
  • Screenshot_20180108-195342.jpg
    Screenshot_20180108-195342.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 419
Yep that's how I read it.
But simple to change the top frame, with the VIN number & away you go.

Unless I'm missing something..

That used frame even with a v5c document combined with parts from a cat b bike mean a Q plate (officially)

That used frame even with a v5c document combined with parts from a cat b bike mean a Q plate (officially)

But who would know if you just changed the top frame. Got new MOT & carried on.
Who checks the VIN number anyway.
I bet dogdies will find a way especially if it means a few notes In there pocket.
Or simply sell it abroad were the don't have the Insurance system the UK has..

Methinks the word " officially " means very little to so many.
Especially those with no scruples or decency & eBay is a wash with them.
I spose that must cover all the other mediums of selling now - Facebook sales pages, gumtree etc..

I even got cought out on this very site, with the first bike I bought off a lovely guy from mid Wales, when I sold me an Aprilia 650 Pegaso.
I stupidity took his word & he knew I was only 2 yrs past having a serious bike accident.
So it can happen anywhere to anyone ...

If in doubt, don't....

Back
Top Bottom