correct R1150 oil filter removal tool ?

DR268

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I purchased the filter removal tool pictured for my 1150, it fits the filter perfectly but is too thick to fit over the filter when on the bike

sods law,

can someone point me to another filter cap they have purchased that actually fits into the engine hole so I dont make the same mistake twice

thanks

Attachments

• 20180107_153557_resized.jpg
    20180107_153557_resized.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 519
Where are you located? You could turn it down on a lathe. If you are near Plymouth I can help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorted
although its a 14 sided 74 mm oil filter

dont buy a nice 74mm cast one like I did

as everyone kindly pointed out, buy a 76mm cheaper tin one that also fits perfectly

not too sure how that works but good old Halfords today and I'm sorted

I doubt I'm the first to fall for this one

Attachments

• 20180108_142205_resized.jpg
    20180108_142205_resized.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 450
Little tip to help you is to put a strip of sand paper around the inside of spanner facing inwards so the grain is against the filter to be removed. It helps grip old filter better.

Thats a good looking one

I could have a third one soon it seems, the tin one will do for this change but doubt it will last long as it resembles a tin of Coke

thanks
I was a bit anxious when I bought it, because it's zinc alloy. But the correct grade of alloy has been used, so it's actually more robust than you might expect. It's much stiffer than steel, but admittedly, zinc alloy will just give way with little warning by comparison. However, the accurate fit onto the filter and the stiffness of it all conspires to make a better tool. In my humble opinion :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

In your original foto, the item looks like a non-OEM job to me.
Maybe not, nevertheless it's MUCH better to buy the relevant HiFlo or K&N filter for your particular bike, which has the 17mm nut welded on the end. Then removing and fitting the filter is a piece of p*ss.
Anybody who says that the nut comes detached under torque is tightening the filter too hard.
Just finger-spin up to the oiled new rubber ring, then one firm eighth-of-a-turn tweak is all that's needed in order to seal against possible oil-leaks.
Far too many people, especially dealer workshops, wring the nuts off of a new filter when fitting it
AL in s.e. Spain

In your original foto, the item looks like a non-OEM job to me.
Maybe not, nevertheless it's MUCH better to buy the relevant HiFlo or K&N filter for your particular bike, which has the 17mm nut welded on the end. Then removing and fitting the filter is a piece of p*ss.
Anybody who says that the nut comes detached under torque is tightening the filter too hard.

The problem is with a K&N oil filter with the 17mm nut is when you haven't fitted the filter but a previous owner.

Every single bike i've had in with a K&N oil filter fitted has been a problem (edit* i can remember one bike, owned by Stu in UKGSer, where the K&N came off without too much drama compared to the rest).
So simply blaming the previous owner seems to be avoiding the problem - The filter case has the strenght of a baked bean tin, it distorts far too easily. The nut deforms and is also made from soft metal.

Do search on ADV rider and you'll find it's a very very common problem with K&N oil filters.

Been using one of those cheapo looking Halfords type removers and tightening to 10nm ( factory suggests 11nm ) for over 40k miles now with no problems :thumb

Back
Top Bottom