Battery Charging Question

Disaster Area

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Before I went on my ride, I fitted a USB charging socket to the GS. It is permanently wired across the battery with a male/female connector so that I can disconnect the USB socket so that it isn't discharging the battery all of the time.

I also have a solar charger so that I can trickle charge the battery. Previously I had to remove the seat to attach the clips to the terminals of the battery.

My thought was to connect a male/female plug to the wires from the solar panel and use the USB charger wire to charge the battery. Obviously I'd connect the + of the solar panel to the + of the battery. This would get around the removal and fitting of the seat every time.

Can anyone see any problems with my plan?

No. Those electrons are clever little buggers and will not be phased by your dicking about with their route to the big bath of tranquility before they are forced to do some more work by your enslavement.

Why don't you connect it via switched live. That way you don't have to remember to disconnect it every time. Sounds bit of a hassle otherwise?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I've measured the current on a really sunny day and it was only about 3mA.

But that's not why you need a fuse.

What happens when your live wire rubs through and shorts on the frame? You should always have a fuse as close to the +ve terminal of the battery as possible.

I can confirm that there is a 7.5A fuse immediately after the positive battery terminal.

Why don't you connect it via switched live. That way you don't have to remember to disconnect it every time. Sounds bit of a hassle otherwise?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Connecting a solar charger to a switched live will defeat the intent of charging the bike when it's parked up, direct to the battery via the existing connector is the path of enlightenment for your free(ish) electrons.

I only have the electrons that came free with the battery - is this going to cause an issue?

Do Touratech do 'adventure electrons'?

Back
Top Bottom