Fugging Insurance Brokers and Insurance Companies

So, your insurer - who we assume you paid a premium to - offered to meet all the costs of your claim (at their expense) up to £1000 but you opted to get it fixed yourself and bath with a friend, saving your insurer money.

Your insurer then offered to pay you some extra for additional costs you might have overlooked (or not realised you might have been able to claim for) up to and including some recompense to your neighbour for sharing the soap

...... and you somehow still manage to moan?

Funny old world.

it seemed more anecdotal, than complaining (moaning)

..... and you somehow still manage to criticise?

Funny old world

So, your insurer - who we assume you paid a premium to - offered to meet all the costs of your claim (at their expense) up to £1000 but you opted to get it fixed yourself and bath with a friend, saving your insurer money.

Your insurer then offered to pay you some extra for additional costs you might have overlooked (or not realised you might have been able to claim for) up to and including some recompense to your neighbour for sharing the soap

...... and you somehow still manage to moan?

Funny old world.

Not really a moan tho was it.
We'd used this specific part of the policy about 6 years ago and did it to the letter. Call out by plumber on a Sunday and then follow up call by them on Monday with cost of part. The limit then was £500. £200 call out £150 parts, £150 labour. I had identified the issue, the circuit board. Opened the boiler front and the lumber/heating engineer chap spent 12 seconds agreeing it was the board and less than 1 minute in the house. The part was £135 plus vat from the manufacturer. The call out clowns office rang the next morning and quoted £280 plus vat plus fitting. I declined to pay that for the part as they were clearly ripping people off. I'd already found that the manufacturers did a fixed price repair service at £249 so when I rang the insurers back they basically stated that I had a £500 pot, with £300 left in it...I went with the manufacturer and got the boiler sorted. Fast forward 6 years and I knew what would happen here. Same mad call out fee, same ridiculous parts price and no doubt they'd be very very close to the new £1000 limit.
I personally thought it stupid to go and buy a new electric radiator for 5-7 days use. My neighbours would have been insulted if I'd offered money and a pint and glass of merlot in the pub will be more than sufficient.

For me, this 'overclaiming' is all that's bad about society now but each to their own.
Odd how your sentiment below appears at odds with the one above.

I read this as you are a bit skint after Christmas. Now, after six months of ‘making sure’ (the initial feeling of discomfort having vanished after a few days) hit on a cunning wheeze to screw some wedge out of an insurer. Go for it, mate. Feck ‘em. Rip off fucking merchants, out to screw every penny they can from the honest working man.

FFS get another e mail from Hastings today to contact them urgently , ring them up and they state that i have two policies running on my Audi which is illegal !!!!

Ring up Swinton and after a bit of digging find out that they (Swinton) renewed my policy in November ( it was not on auto renewal), they have since taken 3 unauthorised payments from my bank account, bearing in mind that i rang up in November to confirm that I would not be renewing the policy with them and needed proof of my ncd and it was confirmed as such.

Not only that I have gone through all my E mails since November including spam filters and there are none from Swinton stating that they have renewed the policy or any reference numbers regarding the 'policy'.

Now I am waiting for confirmation from Swinton of the policy being cancelled ,my monies being refunded and a letter of confirmation of the facts for my new insurer.

But apparently Swinton say that in this instance they will waive the charge for the cancellation of the policy that they took out without authorisation ................ it was at that stage that I went ape shit on the phone.

So much for using a f*cking high street insurance brokers with an office where you can go and talk to someone

FFS get another e mail from Hastings today to contact them urgently , ring them up and they state that i have two policies running on my Audi which is illegal !!!!

Ring up Swinton and after a bit of digging find out that they (Swinton) renewed my policy in November ( it was not on auto renewal), they have since taken 3 unauthorised payments from my bank account, bearing in mind that i rang up in November to confirm that I would not be renewing the policy with them and needed proof of my ncd and it was confirmed as such.

Not only that I have gone through all my E mails since November including spam filters and there are none from Swinton stating that they have renewed the policy or any reference numbers regarding the 'policy'.

Now I am waiting for confirmation from Swinton of the policy being cancelled ,my monies being refunded and a letter of confirmation of the facts for my new insurer.

But apparently Swinton say that in this instance they will waive the charge for the cancellation of the policy that they took out without authorisation ................ it was at that stage that I went ape shit on the phone.

So much for using a f*cking high street insurance brokers with an office where you can go and talk to someone

Bit stupid not cancelling the direct debit. Beats me how someone can have 3 payments taken from their bank account without knowing. Get to grips with. I check my bank statements online almost daily to see what is going on.

Derek

At the time I had 5 policies with Swinton on d/d and when I informed them that I would not be renewing the policy (which was confirmed by them in writing when I received proof of NCD ) at that time the old d/d mandate becomes void .

So the last poster reckons it is MY fault and I need to get to grips with the fact that a broker renewed a policy without authorisation after I had told them not to and then did not inform me that they had done it either by post or e mail .

Bell end !!!!!!!!!!!!

So the last poster reckons it is MY fault and I need to get to grips with the fact that a broker renewed a policy without authorisation after I had told them not to and then did not inform me that they had done it either by post or e mail .
But to be fair, he is a total and utter tool.

Bit stupid not cancelling the direct debit.

Derek

My alzheimer suffering 88 yr old mother was contacted by Oxfam by telephone to set up a £4 a month DD. She did this. Months later when I checked her banking as she'd popped to the loo, I saw that not only did they take her very long standing £4 standing order but this new one I had no idea about. So the wankers had two bites at her...I rang them and told them to cancel it. Profuse apologies on the phone and I then cancelled the DD. THEY got it re-instated. So it is not the be all and end all to cancel the DD.

I don't bank with Barclays but here's an excerpt from their website....it happens

https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/payments/direct-debits/reclaim-cancelled/

it seemed more anecdotal, than complaining (moaning)

..... and you somehow still manage to criticise?

Funny old world

Indeed, it was anecdotal and the word 'moan' was used deliberately to get a response; which it's achieved.

Most correspondents to this site believe that insurers are out to screw them. Davey B proves (at least anecdotally) that that is not true, indeed they - or at least their call centre chimps - were prepared to shower him with gifts.

The sentiment was done for effect, as you'll probably now appreciate.

Now, how's the OP's six month old back pain claim going?

Indeed, it was anecdotal and the word 'moan' was used deliberately to get a response; which it's achieved.

Most correspondents to this site believe that insurers are out to screw them. Davey B proves (at least anecdotally) that that is not true, indeed they - or at least their call centre chimps - were prepared to shower him with gifts.

The sentiment was done for effect, as you'll probably now appreciate.

Now, how's the OP's six month old back pain claim going?

Fuck his back claim...you bastard...conning me into bigging up insurance companies....

Honesty - the best policy. Always worked for me

Well it just gets better , managed to presuade Hastings not to cancel my policy but didn't receive anything back from Swintons (they promised proof of ncd a confirmation letter and refund) , double checked and the chiselling b*stards haven't even bothered refunding my account for the payments they illegally took from my bank account (on an unauthorised direct debit mandate) for a policy I specifically told them not to renew.

The've had their chance so I've stuck in a complaint to the Financial Ombudsmen Service, hopefully it will cause them some level of sh*t

Well it just gets better , managed to presuade Hastings not to cancel my policy but didn't receive anything back from Swintons (they promised proof of ncd a confirmation letter and refund) , double checked and the chiselling b*stards haven't even bothered refunding my account for the payments they illegally took from my bank account (on an unauthorised direct debit mandate) for a policy I specifically told them not to renew.

The've had their chance so I've stuck in a complaint to the Financial Ombudsmen Service, hopefully it will cause them some level of sh*t

If you paid by direct debit just ask your bank to reverse it. This they have do to without charging you.

Derek

Well turns out that my old insurer had failed to update my E Mail address on the above vehicles policy in 2015 and 2016 (it was correct for all the other dealings with their company), they had also failed to notice (ignored) that all my policies had specified NON AUTO RENEWAL and they have no trace of my call confirming that I would not be renewing with them.

Apparently with this company the only way to be 100% that they do not auto renew even if non autorenewal is specified on a policy is to contact them by E Mail prior to the renewal date to confirm this and include a copy of your new insurance policy (without it they can if they they wish still auto renew a policy to ensure that you do not fall foul of your insurance cover not running continuously)

Only advice they can give is if you pay your insurance via direct debit is specify non auto renewal and get it in writing and if you change insurers follow the above advice.

Asked them what would have been the repercussions if I had been involved in a serious blameworthy accident in my vehicle whilst unknowingly it had 2 separate insurance policies in force with a question over ncd and the answer was that it would have probably have led to both policies being declared void and I would have been left uninsured (despite having paid for both)

Life used to be so much simpler

Back
Top Bottom