Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Eder Dam, Colditz and Romantic Road Accomadation

  1. #1
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Posts
    11

    Eder Dam, Colditz and Romantic Road Accomadation

    I am planing a trip to Germany in July this year and will be riding the Roantic road. Does anyone have some acomadation recommendations for Eder, Colditz, Wurzburg, Rothenburg, Fussen and Strasbourg. Any points of interest and must see’s along the trip would be appreciated. thanks

  2. #2
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wapping, London
    Posts
    46,819
    Google: Romantic Road hotels. TripAdvisor / Booking.com have lots of combinations, as do lots of other sites. Find hotels that suit your timetable, price / facility expectations and likely location(s) along the 350 km (220 mile) length of the Romantic Road at any one bedtime

    This is pretty similar to the advice you received in this thread:

    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...delwald-Hotels

    Google: Romantic Road things to see and do. Lots of websites will pop up

    Here’s a starter: http://www.romanticroadgermany.com

    Here’s another suggestion you could think about. Put these recommended towns into Google maps as a route and see if they’d match in with where you might like to dawdle for a bit or stay for the night

    Highlights of the Romantic Road in Germany

    Würzburg: Located in the heart of the Franken wine growing region, Würzburg is famous for its excellent wines and gourmet restaurants, colorful wine festivals, and beautiful vineyards. The architectural gem of Würzburg is the Residence Palace, which is on the UNESCO World Heritage list.

    Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Welcome to the best preserved medieval town in Germany, Rothenburg ob der Tauber – its fortified city center is picture-perfect. Walk atop the medieval wall that encircles the old city center, or go to the top of the historical Town Hall for a spectacular view of the region. Take a tour through the historical town with the night watchman, who is on patrol in the illuminated city center at night.

    Castle Hotel Colmberg: Spend the night in the 1000-year-old Castle Hotel Colmberg.

    Dinkelsbühl: The old town of Dinkelsbühl boasts 16 fortified towers, several authentic city gates, and an original ring wall. This town shares many of the charming traits of Rothenburg but is off the beaten path.

    Augsburg: Encounter the legacy of the Romans and the wealthy traders from the Middle Ages in one of Germany's oldest cities; Augsburg's 2000-year-old past comes to life in the historical city center with its baroque townhouses, splendid boulevards, and traditional restaurants, where you can enjoy a genuine medieval candlelight dinner in old vaulted rooms.

    Pfaffenwinkel: This part of Bavaria (called "Pastor's Corner") is famous for its churches and pristine landscapes. A must-see is the pilgrimage church Wieskirche ("Church in the Meadow") in Steingaden. This rococo masterpiece is on the list of the UNESCO World Heritage sights.

    Neuschwanstein: The end destination for many travelers is the romantic fairy tale castle of Neuschwanstein, nestled in the Bavarian mountains. This site encompasses the very notion of romanticism.

    PS Love the different spellings of accommodation. Why not just say, ‘hotel’?

    PPS You’ve never given any feedback (or thanks) for similar advice you’ve sought in the past. Help is a two way street. The fellow in this very short thread managed to thank you, so it can’t be hard:

    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...otel-in-Whitby

  3. #3
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Embra, Scotland
    Posts
    6,884
    Yoof hostel at Colditz itself is where I stayed. Www.jugendherbergen.De. Take the 2 hr guided tour. Well worth it. Ride report here may be helpful ... http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...1933-1945-Tour

    Edit: further to Wapping's tips, I would avoid Neu Schwanstein in high season. Admire it from a distance but if you go there, it will be stappit fu' of tourists.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Huntingdonshire
    Posts
    10,440
    I’ll be nice and give you suggestions for hotels at the start and finish of the Romantic Road route but the middle section I’m sure you can work out according to your riding style and how much you want to see.

    For the starting point I’d spend the night in Randersacker which is about 5 miles from Wurzburg and it’s a hotel I’ve used many times because they let me park the bike in their garages so I don’t need to unload it. The rooms, food and beer are all good and that’s why I’ve used it a lot of times.

    http://www.loewen-randersacker.de

    At the end I’d stop in Schwangau because it’s a lovely little place, the hotel is good and it’s only a short ride from Neuschwenstein Castle if you want to go there. They also filmed part of the Great Escape (the motorbike scenes) in the area so you can go and pretend you’re Steve McQueen.

    http://www.hotel-weinbauer.de/en.html

    Being able to read and order from a menu printed in German is a big help at both places but Google translate can do that if you’re worried you might end up with something you don’t like.

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Haworth, Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,375
    I'd recommend stopping at Sundern on the shore of the Sorpesee, rather than the Edersee. It's like a little seaside resort This place was nice and had a great Thai restaurant. It's cheaper than most places in Sundern as it's about a 10 minute walk up the hill from the reservoir

    https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/pal...1d64f81a5d6b0c

    This place in Fussen was really nice. It's right in the old town and has courtyard parking round the back

    https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/alt...1d64f81a5d6b0c

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Redditch, Worcs
    Posts
    7,280
    Did the Romantic Road a couple of years ago - started from Wurzburg which is a lovely town but it is a university place and Friday night is party night. It was Summer and no a/c in the room and with the windows open we heard all the clamour and partying going on outside until the early hours. When I get home later I will try and find the details - so if you do stay in Wurzburg you want a hotel away from the party areas and with a/c. I will try and find the other hotel info we stopped at - the one in Fussen was particularly good. If you plan to visit the castles at Fussen then pre-book online! We didn't and had to queue for over 90 minutes and then further queuing for the transport up the mountain.
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

  7. #7
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Wapping, some good tips for me to research, so very much appreciated. I shall have to make sure I wear my specs in the future so that I can check my spelling. Thanks, thanks and thanks once again.

  8. #8
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Posts
    11
    Thanks scotboxer, ride report is great and I shall heed the advice on Neuschwanstein, cheers.

  9. #9
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    I’ll be nice and give you suggestions for hotels at the start and finish of the Romantic Road route but the middle section I’m sure you can work out according to your riding style and how much you want to see.

    For the starting point I’d spend the night in Randersacker which is about 5 miles from Wurzburg and it’s a hotel I’ve used many times because they let me park the bike in their garages so I don’t need to unload it. The rooms, food and beer are all good and that’s why I’ve used it a lot of times.

    http://www.loewen-randersacker.de

    At the end I’d stop in Schwangau because it’s a lovely little place, the hotel is good and it’s only a short ride from Neuschwenstein Castle if you want to go there. They also filmed part of the Great Escape (the motorbike scenes) in the area so you can go and pretend you’re Steve McQueen.

    http://www.hotel-weinbauer.de/en.html

    Being able to read and order from a menu printed in German is a big help at both places but Google translate can do that if you’re worried you might end up with something you don’t like.
    Thanks Andy ��

  10. #10
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I'd recommend stopping at Sundern on the shore of the Sorpesee, rather than the Edersee. It's like a little seaside resort This place was nice and had a great Thai restaurant. It's cheaper than most places in Sundern as it's about a 10 minute walk up the hill from the reservoir

    https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/pal...1d64f81a5d6b0c

    This place in Fussen was really nice. It's right in the old town and has courtyard parking round the back

    https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/alt...1d64f81a5d6b0c
    Thanks Sven

  11. #11
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snooty View Post
    Did the Romantic Road a couple of years ago - started from Wurzburg which is a lovely town but it is a university place and Friday night is party night. It was Summer and no a/c in the room and with the windows open we heard all the clamour and partying going on outside until the early hours. When I get home later I will try and find the details - so if you do stay in Wurzburg you want a hotel away from the party areas and with a/c. I will try and find the other hotel info we stopped at - the one in Fussen was particularly good. If you plan to visit the castles at Fussen then pre-book online! We didn't and had to queue for over 90 minutes and then further queuing for the transport up the mountain.
    Thanks Lord Snooty, the Fussen Hotel would be useful

  12. #12
    New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for the advice and recommendations guys, I will get some planning done and hopefully post some photos of the trip later in the year. Jon

  13. #13
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    254
    Nice to see a member saying thanks to those that tried to help. Top man

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wapping, London
    Posts
    46,819
    Great help and the makings of a super holiday.

    Look forward to the trip report

  15. #15
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Haworth, Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,375
    The Romantic Road (B17) is a bit dull between Fussen and Dinkelsbuhl. I followed the B16 instead last time and it was a much better ride

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    5,927

    Click here to find out how to remove these ads

    We stopped at the Hotel Garni Fuerstenhof in Fussen a few years back, locked garage for the bike, small family run hotel with a decent breakfast and 3 or 4 minutes walk from the town centre.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"