Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1200GS watercooled vs Triumph 1200 Explorer shaft drive

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

1200GS watercooled vs Triumph 1200 Explorer shaft drive

I am looking to px my 2003 1150 GS for a 2-3 year old 1200GS or maybe the new 1200 explorer with shaft drive. I have heard the finish quality of the 1200GS is not what is used to be and the Triumph has caught up in many ways although the weight may be carried a bit higher than on the GS. Anyone tried them both and willing to comment? I'm about to test this weekend therefore any advice would be appreciated

Hugely different rides...whilst very similar. If that makes sense
    You really have to ride them both and decide. I loved the engine on the Triumph and once above 5mph didn't think about weight being a tad higher but I never got round to swapping the GSA for one...very nearly.

My experience of Tryumph is from a while ago when I bought a trophy 1200 which I loved. Unfortunately I had nothing but trouble with it. The backup from the dealer was bad. Contrast that with bmw whose bikes might not be as good as they were but the dealer more than makes up for it. That has been my experience and the reason why I’d not bother with Tryumph again. JJH

The ONLY reason there is a GS in the garage is the dealer and euro warranty.
    Thats it.
    The Explorer is a far better bike, better engine, better equipment, etc.
    Once the lease runs out on this one it won't be being replaced with another BMW.

I had an early 1200 Explorer and it was a good honest bike. However, I must admit to finding it a bit agricultural and found I really had to plan overtakes because it wasn’t quick. I find the comments about the engine being fantastic difficult to believe because yes it made a nice triple noice but for me it was gutless and lazy. When I tried a GS LC I had to have one because the engine in comparison was awake, fun and raring to go. I’m sure the later Explorers will be better but that’s my take on my 2012 model which I owned for just over a year.

Totally different bike to the latest one.
    The engine makes the GS seem like a sewing machine in comparison!
    One thats used to plough a field...

I had a couple of early Hinckley Triumphs, Sprint and then a Daytona. I had a few problems with both of them, mainly around corrosion. This led me to move back to BMW of which I had around 6 or 7 GS's.

In 2014 I bought one of the new WC GS's which was in all honesty one of the worst bikes I've ever owned. To cut a long story short I ended up back with Triumph on a 2015 Explorer, a lovely bike but always felt the brakes and suspension could have been better.

Last year I traded the Gen1 Explorer for a new Gen 2 Explorer which was considerably improved over the Gen 1 bike, including Brembo radial brakes and WP semi active suspension.

What can I say, it's without doubt the best bike I've ever owned. Before I bought it I did give the GS another go and took a 2017 WC for an extended test ride. I understand that it's very subjective, but for me the GS was not in the same league as the Explorer. It may be a better off road bike but on road absolutely no comparison to the Explorer.

After test riding both the gs and explorer in late 15 I ended up with the triumph. The gs is probably a more refined and complete bike but just thought the triumph had more on the fun side. The triumphs brakes were worse than the gs, these have now been upgraded on the gen2 explorer and obviously suffered more fork dive when braking with the normal forks. Gearbox was also better on the triumph and also looked better in my opinion. In 2 and a bit years with 13k my explorer is as clean and tidy now as when I took it out the showroom and looking at the number of engine cases and rust on here then I would say the build quality is better on the triumph. In the end I would say to ride both and see how you feel and if it matters to you the see what deals you can get as I would say the gen 2 explorer will have some good deals at the minute with the launch of the gen 3.

Depends to some extent on your budget. Both bikes are better the newer they are. I test rode a gen 1 Explorer but for me it was too heavy and was let down by poor brakes and suspension compared to the GS though it had a smoother engine. Both bikes have improved since then but only you will know which ones suits you best. Enjoy the test rides and if you're not sure test ride them again

I bought a new Explorer in 2014, and really enjoyed it. I only had one small technical problem, but that was soon resolved. i rode a few GS's at the time, but preferred my Triumph. When it came time to swap, I tested the new generation GS, and was blown away by the difference from the previous bikes. I got my new GS Explorer in March 2017, and have been delighted with it. The big difference to me was the handling and the brakes. The GS just inspires confidence under all conditions, and it is more comfortable. I did try the gen 2 Triumph, but was put off by the new screen. In it's upper position, and with a crosswind, it was just flapping around in the breeze. It felt very flimsy. i bought my GS with a full set of panniers, and the nav 6. The whole package just seems so well designed and put together. It would take a lot to make me swap back, but I am thinking of buying a second hand Triumph Trophy for some of my longer trips and to add to my collection.

Got to assume the Triumph has changed a lot since 2013, but the GS has as well... The Explorer looked and felt extremely low rent compared to the GS. Soggy back end and more importantly, no Telelever up front. Out of the many bikes I have owned the BMW has by far the best suspension. No dive on the brakes compared to others and handles faultlessly regardless of luggage and passenger load. That is worth more than a few extra hp.

Thanks for all the comments

Quote Originally Posted by J biker View Post
    Got to assume the Triumph has changed a lot since 2013, but the GS has as well... The Explorer looked and felt extremely low rent compared to the GS. Soggy back end and more importantly, no Telelever up front. Out of the many bikes I have owned the BMW has by far the best suspension. No dive on the brakes compared to others and handles faultlessly regardless of luggage and passenger load. That is worth more than a few extra hp.
    Dear All,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my request for opinion and advice. Both Triumph and BMW dealers were fairly close so I ended up riding a 2017 Explorer and GS on same twisty north Essex roads (Finchingfield/Thaxted for those who know) with a few damp/wet patches. Triumph really fast and inspired much overtaking however GS inspired leaning bike into slower corners....a bit more fun really. Amazing smooth torque engine, tons of toys/options on Explorer vs more character, agility, etc. Just about afford used GS Rallye where I think the styling is the dogs b**** vs new 2017 explorer....difficult decision

I have an R1200RS Sport SE and a 2017 Explorer XRx. I prefer the RS as an everyday bike. The engine is lovely and well mannered in town on my commute or able to make fairly rapid progress when required. It would be my only bike if the ergonomics suited me for longer distances but I get hip pain after 100 miles. The low centre of gravity makes the bike feel a lot lighter than it is. The electronic suspension is excellent. I wondered if the absence of telelever would be a problem, but no, it is not. The sticky out cylinders keep your legs warmer in winter.
    The Explorer is also very good in XRx trim with the WP electric suspension and Brembo front brakes. The engine is good but I prefer the boxer. The bike came with a huge accessory pack that makes it a great tourer. Happy to sit on an autoroute cruising at 100 mph then being fun on the twisty roads. A complete pig to wheel around the garage as the weight is carried so high. The Triumph blasts you with really hot air in summer, which is annoying in town or traffic.
    Both bikes have linked brakes which helps to reduce fork dive. I think as long as you get a decent spec then either bike will be very good. The obvious solution is to buy both.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Wessie, I actually rode the R1200RS before getting on the GS then the Explorer. The RS inspired to open it up. Smooth powerful bike. Maybe I needed to ride XRX Explorer for longer to assess as I felt a little more confident dropping the GS into corners. Typical Sunday 1-2 hour rides are finding nices twisty B or A roads which in my part of the UK are rough and bumpy. Do you think with time I would be inspired to push the XRX along these sorts of roads or the GS would still be better on this terrain? Go on 2-4 day tours a couple of times a year

The GS really does handle well at all speeds. Bumpy roads included.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyHairedWombat View Post
    Wessie, I actually rode the R1200RS before getting on the GS then the Explorer. The RS inspired to open it up. Smooth powerful bike. Maybe I needed to ride XRX Explorer for longer to assess as I felt a little more confident dropping the GS into corners. Typical Sunday 1-2 hour rides are finding nices twisty B or A roads which in my part of the UK are rough and bumpy. Do you think with time I would be inspired to push the XRX along these sorts of roads or the GS would still be better on this terrain? Go on 2-4 day tours a couple of times a year
    I live in the Cotswolds. The RS copes with the bumpy roads here but the Triumph just laughs at them. I took the Explorer out for a weekend ride 2 weeks ago, a 70 mile loop through Herefordshire, returning via the Forest of Dean. I took this bike as it has a heated seat and bar muffs fitted, and it was quite chilly. It is an absolute hoot. On my summer trip to the French Alps I took the Explorer. I spent the first day mostly riding by myself and met my friends in St Quentin (I crossed from Portsmouth, they used the Tunnel). I had got used to the Explorer by then and the 2 hour ride from St Q to the Argonne Forest on D roads was a blast as I had 2 KTM Super Dukes behind me, so I had a challenge to get away from them!
    You will get used to the Explorer in no time. It feels very different to the RS in particular due to the more upright seating position and wide bars. You need to rev the Triumph more to get the best out of it so it is a little more busy to ride very fast compared to the RS, but the RS is marketed as a sport bike, not a tourer. The Explorer is more relaxed on a longer journey as it is roomier i.e. you can push back on the seat and stand up to ride it. I have raised the bars and brought them close to me with Rox riser copies from Ebay. I'm 5'8" tall with 32" inside leg and can ride the Triumph with the seat in high which improves comfort on a long journey. I move it to the low position if riding where you may need to stop often e.g. narrow Alpine passes or urban riding.
    I took at least 2 hour test rides on the bikes before buying. I wanted the RS within 10 minutes and then spent an hour trying to convince myself I didn't need it. Annoyingly, I developed the hip trouble about 6 months later and my 2016 summer trip was uncomfortable.
    I have also tried the S1000XR as a potential "single bike" but I hated it as I am not a fan of inline 4s, but you may want to try one just to rule it out.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast