Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1200GS watercooled vs Triumph 1200 Explorer shaft drive

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I've been giving this question some thought over the last 24hrs or so.

I have two bikes that would be seen as very similar if you just looked at the specs. 2017 Triumph Explorer Gen2 and a 2016 Guzzi Stelvio NTX. But they are very different bikes.

If being tested by a bunch of journalists the Explorer would beat the Stelvio hands down in every department. So, it got me thinking, what makes a bike good or just indifferent.

I came to a very simplistic conclusion. It's not the bike, it's the journey. Stop thinking about what the bike has and how good or bad folks say it is. Instead concentrate on how that bike, make you feel, on your journey.

07875 304772
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkleyowlie View Post
    It's not the bike, it's the journey. Stop thinking about what the bike has and how good or bad folks say it is. Instead concentrate on how that bike, make you feel, on your journey.
    You're right..... I had a brand new launch model Explorer back in 2012... didn't like the way it handled/felt to ME. so bad I left the keys in the ignition in Turckheim overnight in the hope that it wasn't there when I came back to it

Anyway, I now have a 74000 mile Twin Cam GSA with Sargent seats and all the bells and whistles, and it fits ME perfectly and that leads to a stress free journey

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I had a similar dilemma. Beginnining of the year, too, coincidentally. I narrowed it down to the same two bikes. I chose the GS. Here are my reasons:

1) You can't improve on BMW aftersales service and warranty (IMHO)

2) This engine (Boxer) has been in developement in one form or another for around 60 years: it's well and truly sorted.

3) There is a reason this bike has outsold all others in its class for years.

4) I like Triumphs, I had a Tiger 800XCx before this and I grew to really love 95% of it; the engine was great, the fuel economy was good, the WP suspension marvellous and it had good kit on it, but one of the things I didn't like was the comparable weight and how that weight was distributed. I dropped it three times in three years when standing still (moving it, generally, twice whilst still on it!!) and the point of no return angle was extremely shallow. I know the GS is no featherweight but it is 20 kgs lighter than the Tiger 1200 and a lot of that weight is too high for me on the Tiger. The same corner at the same speed requires more lean angle and more precision on a bike with its weight high up; less margin for error too.

5) I live in Spain, so I often lamented the (at times extreme) heat emanating from that tripple engine; it was (very) uncomfortable in town and on the go it was only good above 100km/hr; but when you stopped or slowed.....

6) It took me a year to really like my Tiger. I took a GS out for a 2 hour test ride and loved it from the first minute.

No contest for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12