2016 k1600 weight?

Adventure rider

Reaction score
I have looked at a year old k1600GT ( without the reverse gear) and have read all the online and mag reviews - which say once it get moving weight is not an issues. But that was the mag who motive is to get us punters to put hard earn dosh down to buy one!

So i would like to ask real owners, what is it like at really slow speeds, what is is like to have to manhandle it out of a garage in the morning, or out of a car parking slot- and heaven forbid has anyone dropped one - could they pick it up again??:confused:

Im average height and build and ride an Adventure, but if i go for a K1600 this bike will be much heavier:blast

A little top heavy to push around but once you're aware of it you make allowences.

Once moving it's no problem at all.

An incredibly capable bike.

I'm 5'9", 13st and reasonable fit. But decided it was to much effort around/in and out of the garage, so traded it for a GS.

The GS and GSA both handle better than the K16.............. IMHO.

But the journo's are right. It does lose all it weight once moving, and handles well for it's size. The slower you go, the more cumbersome it gets.

Good luck.

Had a Fatbob before, not the same as a k1600 but the same in weight, found it awkward in the garage, but fine on the road, but the GS is so much easier to move around in the garage, and way better on the road.

Yep you definitely need some flat ground to park it and you definitely do not want to pick it up alone.

I’ve had lots of GS Adventures, last one a 2015 LC. I can’t say they out handle my 1600 GT. I think because it’s heavier, riders think they can’t push as hard and then say it doesn’t handle as well.

I’m careful not to park it so I don’t have to push it, and I’m lucky I can roll it backwards down a slope into the garage.

As suggested before, take one out, put it in your garage.

Managed to drop mine in the garage when a wet sole slipped lifting it on the mainstand; not a happy moment but it proved remarkably easy to pick up. Not that I would want to repaet the exercise!

Pretty heavy going on a gravel drive and you do have to be careful how you park , and especially with full panniers and a pillionit but the ride (and that engine) more than make up for that.

Hill-hold on the brakes is a great addition and just removes taht bit of stress pulling away on an incline.

The 1600 we know is heavier but park a GS/A facing down to a kerb and see how you cope pushing it out. You can’t bounce the forks and brake to inch it backwards.
Put it this way - you won’t do it a second time.

great bikes on full song enjoy ,forget the weight issue its only while pushing up an incline or ramp when riding you can deck these out if you try hard enough

Defo get the new one with the reverse. You have to be in front of it, and because it is not as light to handle as the GSA it can sap a bit of confidence. This is a bike that will reward you if you are confident in slow speed manoeuvring so practise that bit. Rear brake not front brake for the crawl stuff or it will end in tears.

In sep 17 we went to the spat out of hull rally at Helmsley ,it pissed down leading up to it ,absolute quagmire, the mud and water in places was touching the discs , I was going to walk it off site ,in gear walking it with girlfriend steadying it , I’ve got used to moving it round , you do, I was shitting it , but I thought I’ll ride off ,paddling , 2nd gear just on the clutch it never even spun the wheel honestly,just crawled along didn’t even splash the rear shock,unbelievable,, also slid it up the road in Spain and it did take 4 of us to pick it up lol
Get it bought
Get some engine and pannier bars
And get going on it
There is nothing like em, nothing , totally unique
You’ll love it

:thumb2

Nothing from the OP by way of reply, positive, negative or even a “Thank you”.

In the meantime, this month’s RiDE magazine has a decent enough review of / article on the bike.

I'm on my third and I have to say the addition of the reverse does make a difference in parking place selection, and it works well.

The bike is very manoeuvrable once the wheels are turning so slow speeds with balance is not an issue.

Very fast, powerful and smooth delivery, I love it, go for it if you can (after your test ride):thumb

I'm on my third and I have to say the addition of the reverse does make a difference in parking place selection, and it works well.

The bike is very manoeuvrable once the wheels are turning so slow speeds with balance is not an issue.

Very fast, powerful and smooth delivery, I love it, go for it if you can (after your test ride):thumb

Worth noting that the K16 is no heavier than a Honda ST1300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing bikes, but they do have a few foibles. Weight you already identify, but it's no more than any other uber-tourer & disappears above walking pace. I reckon my old Electraglide is more of a challenge TBH. Obviously reverse assist/hill hold are a bonus, but not essential IMHO. Some early adoptors had reliability issues, including me, but most common problems were ironed out by 2014. Like Wapping says, see if you can blag a full weekend test session to put one through it's paces.

If you haven't indulged already, have a good look around the dedicated forum .......... http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/

Back
Top Bottom