COPYING MAPS FROM DEVICE TO PC

Does your mate actually need the new maps at all?

It would be useful, I'm doing most of the route planning so if the maps are the same it should go a bit more smoothly on the trip, he previously used a device with LM but as he upgraded his bike he went for the cheaper Nav option to use the factory fitted mount.

got all the information I need now thanks to all :thumb

In short, no to either. Garmin maps are locked and require a key, so can’t be transferred between devices, so a map from one device can’t be transferred to another device, even with the JavaWa tools.
Garmin maps to all intents and purposes can’t be copied from a device to a computer. The device uses a .img file and the computer uses a .map or .mapi file. You could do it if you read the map into a map compiler, then unlocked it, then compiled a new map and created a .mapi file, but it’s non trivial.
Of course using Basecamp you can view a map on the computer that exists on the device.
Get your tight mate to buy the maps, Garmin are doing 25% off just now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25% discount on City Navigator maps
Code: UK-PNDSPRING-18

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/c45...Maps Promo 18 - LM Customers - Kickoff, 11205

c853dc217c25de9022ec5ed2902b386b.png

In short, no to either. Garmin maps are locked and require a key, so can’t be transferred between devices, so a map from one device can’t be transferred to another device, even with the JavaWa tools.
Garmin maps to all intents and purposes can’t be copied from a device to a computer. The device uses a .img file and the computer uses a .map or .mapi file. You could do it if you read the map into a map compiler, then unlocked it, then compiled a new map and created a .mapi file, but it’s non trivial.
Of course using Basecamp you can view a map on the computer that exists on the device.
Get your tight mate to buy the maps, Garmin are doing 25% off just now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom