COPYING MAPS FROM DEVICE TO PC

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know if this is possible, trying to help a mate get set up with planning routes and he is a tight git who wont pay for lifetime updates (zumo 660 btw) .

I know the PC will read maps off the device in Basecamp but I'd like to use Mapsource also and want more than just the global map on the PC.

Any help appreciated.:thumb2

Use Open Street Maps, they are free.

There are also pirated Garmin maps on the internet

PS Didn’t the 660 ship with lifetime maps by default?

If the maps are out of date, how will an answer to your Q help? If he wants to update the maps without forking out, then Openstreetmap is probably the solution?

Have a look here also

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/401034-Loading-maps-onto-a-550

The techniques described in my final post will apply to a 660 also. I tried downloading OSM maps of UK last night and it took me about 20 mins after the maps became available from OSM. I tried loading them direct onto the card plugged into the laptop but this did not work for me. Your pl might need to download Mapsource first.

Have a look here also

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/401034-Loading-maps-onto-a-550

The techniques described in my final post will apply to a 660 also. I tried downloading OSM maps of UK last night and it took me about 20 mins after the maps became available from OSM. I tried loading them direct onto the card plugged into the laptop but this did not work for me. Your pl might need to download Mapsource first.

Had a look at Mapsource on my PC where I dont have OSM but I have the up to date Garmin Maps, followed your instructions and clearly I can send maps to a device, would i be able to connect my mates 660 to my pc and give him the updated Garmin Map that way ?

Had a look at Mapsource on my PC where I dont have OSM but I have the up to date Garmin Maps, followed your instructions and clearly I can send maps to a device, would i be able to connect my mates 660 to my pc and give him the updated Garmin Map that way ?

Very probably, no.

Garmin maps are coded to a specific device; yours and not your mate’s.

Are you sure your mate’s 660 does not have lifetime free map updates?

Openstreet maps are free anyway! Why not just go to their site http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

That's the way to go. See my links above. It really is very straight forward. If you have Mapsource, then you should be able to send the downloaded maps (or a selection from them) to your pal's 660 or direct to his card, if your PC / laptop has a card port.

Very probably, no.

Garmin maps are coded to a specific device; yours and not your mate’s.

Are you sure your mate’s 660 does not have lifetime free map updates?

No, when connected to Garmin Express it offers the map update with pricing £50 for a one off, £75 for lifetime updates.

OSM

Ok heres what I see when I select a country to download on OSM
Capture.JPG

advice please im using windows 7

This was the easiest way to get an OSM , just selected the country on drop down, Germany I had to supply my email and I'm in a queue for this map.

Am I correct in saying I will not be able to display more than 1 country when plotting routes accross countries in Mapsource and Basecamp (the tile selection method was a PITA) ?, I know how to select multiple maps to display on the device.

For me this would be a showstopper.

This was the easiest way to get an OSM , just selected the country on drop down, Germany I had to supply my email and I'm in a queue for this map.

Am I correct in saying I will not be able to display more than 1 country when plotting routes accross countries in Mapsource and Basecamp (the tile selection method was a PITA) ?, I know how to select multiple maps to display on the device.

For me this would be a showstopper.

No. Just do a manual tile selection. I did all of South America last week.

Use Open Street Maps, they are free.

There are also pirated Garmin maps on the internet

PS Didn’t the 660 ship with lifetime maps by default?

The early 660's did not have lifetime maps (I had one) - the 660LM did.

Anyone know if this is possible, trying to help a mate get set up with planning routes and he is a tight git who wont pay for lifetime updates (zumo 660 btw) .

I know the PC will read maps off the device in Basecamp but I'd like to use Mapsource also and want more than just the global map on the PC.

Any help appreciated.:thumb2

Have a look at JaVaWa Device Manager and GMTK. The Device Manager program has an icon to 'manage maps' which might enable a copy to be made to PC. Alternatively, the GMTK program allows maps to be backed-up and restored (ie copied), and it may work with the map on the 660.

As Wapping says though, the 660 may well have lifetime maps in which case your mate just needs to connect the 660 to his PC and log in to his Garmin account via Garmin Express. Or recover his login details if he has forgotten them.

Back
Top Bottom