Is this serious or seriously simple?

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I fitted a cheap Chinese led headlamp today. All went smoothly. Then I tried to fit an official Harley Auxiliary Lighting Kit which I got for well under half price from Robin Hood HD... and ran into a problem. The assembly of the kit went well, but when I went to fit my existing indicator bulbs into the new housings, it was no go.

One look inside showed why - my bulbs are single contact but the housings in the kit are double contact. That got me thinking about the wiring on my bike. There are three indicator wires to the kit connector, but only two on my bike. I decided to stop and see if you guys have any advice.

Is it as simple as buying dual contact bulbs?

Obviously, piss taking expected.
57e910dc38f530b378d54541bee599ca.jpg
9328c9737b5145a4d359f85abfc95202.jpg
cfd87383fffcb7f3593ccdbc6c0b9f9c.jpg
0dff4cfafe886c92e294babe04865ba2.jpg

I dont know about that fitment but you can get two contact LED bulbs that are white running lights and orange turn signals

Ahh! Makes sense. Thanks guys. I’ll have a chat with the dealer about solutions...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seem to remember you can get the right indicator bulbs from a HD dealer.

I tried Halfords - no luck - but it’s been awhile so I could be talking shite.

Seem to remember you can get the right indicator bulbs from a HD dealer.

I tried Halfords - no luck - but it’s been awhile so I could be talking shite.

Sounds about right for Harley - probably £20 a bulb :D It was a PITA because the instructions say to take your existing indicator bulbs and put them in the new housings...

Well, I finally got round to fitting these after two weeks’ suffering from some chest lurgi. I can report that 1157 (tail/stop) bulbs work, but the tail light filament stays on all the time with the headlight.

I now need to check if this is legal in the UK. If not, I’ve got no idea which wire to cut!

Sounds like you need to get a test meter out on the cables running to the light fitting

BTW Im not sure if you have mentioned it but LED indicator bulbs require an in-line resistor or compliant flasher unit to work correctly

EDIT

How have you wired it up you originally said it was a two wire system?

Hi Andi. I’m afraid I wouldn’t know what I was doing with a test meter - YouTube tutorial needed! I’m thinking about getting some led 1157 bulbs which flash amber, but have white position lights. I’d have to get smoke or white lenses for that to work, but they’re cheap from China... I’ve heard that if you fit them and put the hazards on, the canbus system works out the correct flash rate after a little while. No idea if that’s true.

I’ve just connected everything up as per the Harley instructions. My original indicators only have two wires coming from the Deutsch connector, but the lamp kit has four.

Anyway, I can’t find any reg which says I can’t run amber lights at the front. The vehicle lighting regs say:

“Colour of light shown by lamps and reflectors

11.—(1) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing a red light to the front, except–

(a)a red and white chequered domed lamp, or a red and white segmented mast-mounted warning beacon, fitted to a fire service control vehicle and intended for use at the scene of an emergency;
(b)a side marker lamp or a side retro reflector;
(c)retro reflective material or a retro reflector designed primarily to reflect light to one or both sides of the vehicle and attached to or incorporated in any wheel or tyre of–
(i)a pedal cycle and any sidecar attached to it;
(ii)a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination; or
(iii)an invalid carriage; or
(d)a traffic sign.”

My 2015 Honda Africa Twin as with others runs with the indicators dimmed as manufactured so under road regulations its treated as a side light as per fitted to wagons and trailers.

Do Harleys have Canbus then?

The easiest way to test would be to check the wiring on the four wire connector that feeds the lights.See which is live to earth and when then work out where they feed to your light unit.A 12volt bulb and wires will do if you dont have a meter.

That is unless you have a wiring diagram and its possible to check the colours against it

6e9e7fb80eba494cc1b8ae9557e7f7aa.png

Back
Top Bottom