Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Thread: Quick and dirty TFT report.

Quick and dirty TFT report.

Quick and dirty TFT report.

My 2018 GS with TFT is 24 hours old. I have had about 2 hrs behind the display so far. My initial thoughts follow.

The display construction is first class. It has a nice matt finish and is visible in all light conditions - it even remains legible with the sun shining directly at the display. I haven't ridden at night yet.

The menu system is intuitive - I watched a YouTube video from another owner and figured mine out quickly. However, this observation needs to be tempered with the comment that I am very used to electronic display/menu systems in general and BMW GS menus in particular.....YMMV.

The info is presented in a logical, easy to read way. I particularly like how the cruise control "ordered" speed is shown alongside the actual speed.

The suspension mode interface is done well - suspension info is displayed at the bottom of the display when you tap the suspension button. Engine mode is similarly shown at the top of the display.

The top line can be set to display as much or as little as you like. I normally leave it set on fuel tank level.

Some have remarked that you don't need the GPS if you have the TFT - I don't agree, as the GPS is very useful for displaying other values like actual speed and real time engine temp.

If I have a criticism that is that engine temp is not available for display on the status line at the top of the display - it should be one of the selections available.

I can't comment on the telephone or song functionality, as I believe that these are useful only if you wish to crash into a tree through distraction...

All in all, the TFT is a great improvement over the previous hard to read analogue displays.

The displayed speed is about 4-5 km/hr out vs actual GPS speed.

This is how mine is set up:

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great review mate and thanks for taking the time to articulate your thoughts. Looks like BMW did a great job on the display.

For me this is what forums are all about

Ta. It was a lovely ride yesterday. As you can see, it was 26 in the Atherton Tablelands. Hot on the coast though. Too hot today - 34. Hiding inside!

Quote Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
    Ta. It was a lovely ride yesterday. As you can see, it was 26 in the Atherton Tablelands. Hot on the coast though. Too hot today - 34. Hiding inside!
    Crazy weather down here, was 38 yesterday and 23 today. I did Ayer's rock for Christmas and it was 40c+ everyday

Off topic, but I am here in East Killarra, Sydney, watching the cricket with a cold beer..... wish I had my GSA to visit my SIL tomorrow over at Berowra Waters... saw a few gs's on the road today though.. ������

-4c here this morning, so no worries about riding, nice review, looks like the new TFT will all be about if you like it or not and want to stump up some more cash, I will be honest I hardly look at my normal clock, just like yourself I use the NAV6 to give me all the info I need on the road, I cannot see what I will gain from a TFT, except some scrote taking a liking to it and wanting to steal it, just like the normal clocks already on the bike, you would like to think maybe BMW would put some sort of code in the software to lock the TFT to the VIN number to stop them being stolen, but I suppose they are happy to sell a replacement and make some more cash

There is one fundamental problem with this TFT screen.

Its not on my bike

Not sure I agree with your opinion on listening to music. I listen to music in my car and it's no different to listening on bike, in fact it's easier on bike. I set my phone, to an album, all songs or a radio station. I then just listen. How this is distracting is beyond me! I don't have to take hand away from steering, I just use left controls without looking away from road. Its safer than what I do in my car.
    By the way I was slagging off Bluetooth from the start. I now find it works without too many issues, now that I have gotten used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    There is one fundamental problem with this TFT screen.

Its not on my bike
    It's on mine - unlike me .

But not long now .

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    -4c here this morning, so no worries about riding, nice review, looks like the new TFT will all be about if you like it or not and want to stump up some more cash, I will be honest I hardly look at my normal clock, just like yourself I use the NAV6 to give me all the info I need on the road, I cannot see what I will gain from a TFT, except some scrote taking a liking to it and wanting to steal it, just like the normal clocks already on the bike, you would like to think maybe BMW would put some sort of code in the software to lock the TFT to the VIN number to stop them being stolen, but I suppose they are happy to sell a replacement and make some more cash
    No need to stump up any more cash as they are a free option now until the end of March, and after March I presume that they will remain free as a standard issue

Quote Originally Posted by batman1 View Post
    No need to stump up any more cash as they are a free option now until the end of March, and after March I presume that they will remain free as a standard issue
    still not changing NAV6 does me fine