24 hours around Ireland

No problem, send me a Ryanair ticket and I will have it back for you, quick time.
Be careful what you wish for......

I have a sneaking suspicion that our bikes are going to sit in Spain a week longer than they are supposed to.

Sent from a U11

If you want to see the length and breath Ireland get a Honda 90. These lads get around 50 to 100 plus bikes per run.
I have done a couple of them and great craic.

Attachments

• Honda 50 run.jpg
    Honda 50 run.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 245
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/meGVF-_FEU0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bike back in Gorey now..........picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

Very excited!!!!

This 24H thing would have to be a weekend for me............but sure, work away.

I am flexible any time I am in Ireland will do. If its in May we could take in the NW200 race weekend on the way round (we usually stay in Portballintrae).
Hay guys!! I got us from Westport to Killimer Harbour who is getting us through Kerry?

We could host people in the house in Tarbert, just over on the ferry from Killimer. Prob is we're off on the 24th this month for a month. Keep us informed on a date;)

Didn’t happen this year. Due to other things cropping up and injuries. Helen has now changed jobs and is flying to Nuremberg to start a new career as cabin crew with Ryanair. At 19 years old it’s great to see her heading off to start anew chapter in her life. I’m a bit sad to see her go and just thinking I should have made that trip happen. We done a good few trips to shows and pipe band engagements. The last being the National Concert Hall. We done Budapest last year and Leeds this year. Plus many smaller gigs and parades. Mabey next year. JJH

I know two boys starting this tomorrow ... I think they are mad !!

Absolutely. Wet . . . Cold . . . . Dark. Why would they do it in November ?
Don't know ... because they can !
Left 0400 hrs today , from an ATM near Kildare .. heading South West ... tracker is being watched (2/3rds way to Cork when I checked) !!

sensibly aborted at just over the half way point ..... in 11 hours.
Have not got the full story yet , but I suspect weather played a part (and daylight was going to come into play ... my opinion)

ah well ... live to go another day ................

A hard 24 hours soured by IBA

so anyone wanting to do 1000 miles 4 compass points of Ireland it is hard. I did it in June with 6 others and raised over£3500 for the NI children's hospice.
Now as for the Ironbutt association, I would wait until you can do this on a straight boring motorway with lots of service stations to get receipts just to make it really easy for the people who hold the office of yes your in or no your not.

I entered our effort and was told it didn't stand because
1 no start receipt (started at Burr point, no atm but a witness from the NICH signed us off at 430am after driving 30 miles to do so).
2 all the photographs and video taken could not be used because they were loaded onto social media and could be manipulated(have a look at the photos and video on facebook under HAIRBALL RALLY 2018 posted live as we went, and tagged in areas at certain times)
3 I should have contacted the IBA Ireland beforehand so they could point this out(why)
4 no end receipt( stopped in 24 hr Tesco filling station in klnocknagoney belfast and got him to witness our mileage, provide his details and tel number)

this was the email from the people who hold IBA sacred
"The way an IBA SS1000 ride is verified is by the shortest route between receipts. I plotted your ride including ALL of the places on your log sheet, including the ones you don't have receipts for. The shortest distance between all of those points is 967 miles. So even if I did accept all of the places with no receipts (which I couldn't anyway) you don't have enough miles."

we did not go the 'shortest route' because we had to make miles up!!!! the witnesses can verify all out speedometers. no receipts available from burr point,malin,dunmore and mizen so how do you verify these and the routes we took to and from them.

"I'm very sorry but I have to be candid, this ride failed at the planning stage. Whoever was responsible for the route and evidence gathering clearly did not read the rules or seek advice. Most multi-rider and charity rides usually choose a 'Circuit of Ireland' ride for their first ride, it's much shorter, easy to prove and simpler."

If i wanted to do a simple ride id have gone for a coffee morning in the local town, how do you do a shorter 1000 miles, sounds like another 'you should have informed us and we tell you type'

now I'm not one for having a rant...... much, but im doing this for charity hoping to add IBA as a bonus, Ive enough evidence to convicted me of anything throughout the route and I offered a full Garmin GPS track log of each and every turn, time and coordinate some 867 pages to print out but rules are rules apparently. IBA Ireland seem to be way too serious for my group to ever want to be associated with, we completed a hard 1000 miles, now started our own hard-ass association for anyone who wants to take yourself out of the dark ages of paper receipts and 35mm photographs which are easier to manipulate on Photoshop than any cyber tracking device,phone, GPS, oh and now my bike even knows where its been how many time Ive used the brakes gears etc etc.

so there you have it, rant over, it is a hard day out but worth the pain for the end beer great craic and most of all being able to help a special wee place the Northern Ireland Children's Hospice
micky
https://www.facebook.com/Hairball-RALLY-2035737049986081/

Well done on that achievement.
I've never really got the Iron Butt stuff - having done more than a few long days the need to have them validated by a bureaucracy never appealed to me. I know some crave formal validation but 500 - 600 miles on Irish back roads is it's own validation; 1,000 miles is heroic. Make your own rules; you'll not cheat yourself. :aidan

Don’t think you’ll find any of us attempting it again, cork back to Belfast in the dark on boring motorway was a killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to do a circumference but not interested in a 24h, I will take a few days any test the Guinness in a number of locations.

5 or 6 days should cover that.

Sent from a U11

Pat, d'ya mean the '4 corners' or a proper circumference?
I once mapped out (I was bored :rolleyes:) a full circumnavigation using the closest continuous roads to the coast (no dead ends) & it came in at something like 4000km. Even you won't do that in a few days :D

I spent yesterday playing on BaseCamp. I went for counter-clockwise. 2955km total, but not sticking rigidly to coast. I diverted inland from the coast a few times - to take in The Vee, to bypass Dublin (and instead take in the Wicklow mountains), for some nice roads I was recently introduced to around Bective Abbey, and to ride that corkscrew near the Spelga dam. I may tweak it further to include the Gap of Dunloe & Moll's Gap instead of Dingle. It includes a lot of the WAW.

Day 1 - 321km.
Day 2 - 373km.
Day 3 - 373km.
Day 4 - 393km.
Day 5 - 413km.
Day 6 - 367km.
Day 7 - 375km.
Day 8 - 340km.

No stupidly high mileages there, and needing just a week off work. Should be cheaper than our Spain-Portugal-France jaunt from last October. I've done the daily start/stop points as camp sites (mix of actual camp parks and wild-camping). I think some folk do it this way normally - the day's routes all planned out? For our EU trip I created legs (no start/stop points or pre-booked accommodation), and we just stopped randomly along the route wherever we felt tired & hungry.

We were surprised to find our average speed over nearly three weeks on that EU trip was 50kmh or so. At times we were flying, others cruising. I imagine that same 50kmh average might be expected for a tour of Ireland?

Fair to expect the Galway-Clare coastline to be busier than Donegal-Sligo-Mayo and Cork-Kerry?

To paraphrase Mark Twain, I imagine a 24-hour lap of Ireland would be nice to have done, but not enjoyable to do...

MA51 Ireland.jpg

It looks enjoyable to me.
Maybe a rest day in between.
What you got against Dublin & Youghal

50kph average sounds about right - it might even end up being a little lower what with the state of the roads and traffic in the place. For a 400km day, that's 8 hours in the saddle not including stops for food, juice and the likes. Definitely doable - but it doesn't leave much time for stopping at things to see along the way. I'd be adding more days onto that so you could really get to enjoy the places you pass through along the route.

Back
Top Bottom