24 hours around Ireland

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this? Somthing like iron but. Seen it posted a few months ago. I'd like to give it a go in June JJH

Anybody know anything about this? Somthing like iron but. Seen it posted a few months ago. I'd like to give it a go in June JJH
Here's the website and details.

http://www.ibaireland.org/Circuit_of_Ireland.php

I'm planning to do it myself soon.

Make sure you read the criteria about properly documenting the ride with receipts and witnesses etc.

There are other rides too on the website.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Came very close to doing it myself a few years ago. Essentially you need to pass a few specific points within a 24 hours period.

Always figured it would make sense to time your leaving so that you are on the best roads during your lowest ebb. So in my book I was thinking of going counter clockwise starting in Dublin in the late evening. I wouldn’t consider doing it until June though. You want as much light as possible, good weather and temperatures. Also I’d avoid weekends due to the potential for traffic during the Galway leg.

Interested in trying something like this myself.

Sent from a U11

It would be nice to ride with someone if the rules allow. My brother might come allong as well. I must say I dont usually ride with anyone I'm probly too used to paddeling my own canoe. JJH

I normally ride in a group of up to 6 bikes.........but I do enjoy it more when I'm on my own.

Sent from a U11

Myself and a few Gser's endeavoured to do this sometime in the mid 2000's. We were to meet in Belfast city centre for 7.00 am. The route was to take us to the furthest point east in the island, north to Malin , west to slea head and onto mizen and a run back up to Belfast. It was an Irin butt challenge. We got delayed getting to Belfast so , from memory we had an agreed departure time and the clock was already ticking when we arrived. Two things I learned from this was 1) most of iron butt stuff is not done on Irish country back roads, you'll be knackered for a few days after it. 2) I fell asleep coming into Dublin at 4.00 am while riding the bike.
We missed out doing the 1000 miles by 30mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've read a few ride reports from lads who've done it (or attempted to) around Ireland........sounds like hard goin'

1600kms in 24 hrs.......my arse would have to be hospitalized !!!!!!

I am going to do a circumference but not interested in a 24h, I will take a few days any test the Guinness in a number of locations.

I am going to do a circumference but not interested in a 24h, I will take a few days any test the Guinness in a number of locations.

I like your thinking - as a younger man the 24H thing would have appealed but that was then.......

Well lets get on it. Pick your start location and direction of rotation. We can collect people at their locations.

I’m doing a 24 hour one with my 18 year old daughter. She wants her name on the certificate!!! What can I say? She is a bit of a motor/motorcycle nut and passed her test and has her own car bought and payed for. Not bad at 18. JJH

Myself and a few Gser's endeavoured to do this sometime in the mid 2000's

Fook, is it that long ago Tom ?

I only did Derry, Malin, Slea & Mizen back to Kildare (about 18 hours IIRC) with the lads but, like Tom says, I was knackered after it. That said I would like to try a 24 hour sometime, just to see if I could do it.

As an alternative / easy way to get certified you (she) might consider this - http://www.rblr1000.co.uk
IBA have a good "how to" on their site which I would recommend you read

I am going to do a circumference but not interested in a 24h

Pat, d'ya mean the '4 corners' or a proper circumference?
I once mapped out (I was bored :rolleyes:) a full circumnavigation using the closest continuous roads to the coast (no dead ends) & it came in at something like 4000km. Even you won't do that in a few days :D

Pat, d'ya mean the '4 corners' or a proper circumference?
I once mapped out (I was bored :rolleyes:) a full circumnavigation using the closest continuous roads to the coast (no dead ends) & it came in at something like 4000km. Even you won't do that in a few days :D

Tossers are in the 4 corners. We could organise the routes and accommodations for our own sectors.
My sector could be Westport to Killimer Harbour. the long way. 8 hours + coffee \ photo stops.
Kilrush for B&B and 1st pint of G

Back
Top Bottom