Dead as a dodo, R1200 GSA 2016 model

IWBiker

Reaction score
Some advice, please. I've been away for a couple of months (not on my bike, unfortunately) and having returned I've found my battery is completely flat. What should I do to get the bike started?

Just Jump start it. If battery has been flattend completly for a while it may be past taking a full charge and need replacement. JJH

I’ve come to the conclusion that the battery fitted to my 2014 GSA is not the best battery I’ve come across... compared to all previous bikes I’ve had. But saying that, I suppose it quite a hefty engine to crank and the initial current draw must be momentarily huge compared to a dainty little Fireblade engine.

I have the latest Optimate now, so I keep on top of it all the time. Even if you only charge it once every other month when you’re not using the bike it will keep it alive. Mine is now plugged into the power point to the right of the clocks.

Thanks, I'll get an Optimate and try that first. Failing that get perhaps some jump leads.

Does your bike have an alarm fitted, I’m just curious, wondering whether it’s worth buying my next GS with a factory fit alarm, but not sure if it will be more trouble than its worth...anyone got or lived with a factory fitted alarmed GS?

I have my 2014 gsa for 2 years. No battery problems.Factory allarm. It dosent get a chance to be troublesome there is 50000 miles on it. JJH

Take it back to dealers and demand they fix it and make them beg for forgiveness and baseball bat the service manager ...... we don't pay all that money for nothing you know ...

Does your bike have an alarm fitted, I’m just curious, wondering whether it’s worth buying my next GS with a factory fit alarm, but not sure if it will be more trouble than its worth...anyone got or lived with a factory fitted alarmed GS?

Got a 2017 model, no issues, just charge the bike up if not using it for a couple of weeks. It is easy to turn off as well. much better than previous my Triumph alarms (Datatool)

Some advice, please. I've been away for a couple of months (not on my bike, unfortunately) and having returned I've found my battery is completely flat. What should I do to get the bike started?

If you manage to get it going with a battery that's been flat for 2 months, every time you subsequently go to use the bike, you'll wonder if it is going to start.

Buy a new battery now; fit it; look after it.

If you have a significant other then get her / him to give you a push and bump start it . Better than a gym session . :D

You could also try buying one of those starters that you see on WSB and Moto GP , it would look really cool in the garage. HTH :thumb2

Predictably, I’m going to mention lithium starter batteries.
If you regularly leave the bike standing you would be better with a lithium battery. They don’t need to be kept topped up with a conditioning charger.
They will be ruined (like any battery) if allowed to go dead flat, but with no external current draw they lose just 10% charge over 12 months & no damage.
The JMT that starts a GS costs about £65 on eBay.

If you have a significant other then get her / him to give you a push and bump start it . Better than a gym session . :D

Yeah - go and bump start a vehicle with fuel injection and a flat battery - let me know how you get on. Post video... :p

Put it on the centre stand, push another bike rear tyre to rear tyre and on centre stand. Start good bike, engage gear and let the tyre start the other bike.

I have my 2014 gsa for 2 years. No battery problems.Factory allarm. It dosent get a chance to be troublesome there is 50000 miles on it. JJH

JJH, So how good is the factory alarm on the GS?
For instance, does it always self arm or can this be easily overridden?

Back
Top Bottom