Thinking of a 950 adventure

Billd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have had an R1150GSA, great bike but a bit bulky so considering a KTM950. Would like to hear from owners the good and the bad with the 950 please.

I started on a well used 1150gs and also purchased a very nice 950 Adventure S. I’ve just sold the ktm and gone back to my old trusty 1150. Bike was amazing but the comfort and simplicity of the 1150 won my heart in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably better off asking on dedicated KTM Forums, try:

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forum.php

Or Adv Rider, which seems to have a large KTM Following

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/orange-crush.90/

I would imagine any common niggles will have been resolved on any bikes still running around, but they are also quite old - and fetch a lot of dosh all things considered, £3.5k and upwards for a 10 year old bike with 30,000+ miles is not cheap.

I have just picked up a 1 year old 1090 model with 3,000 miles on the clock and panniers for under £8k, 1050 models can be had from about £6k (but are restricted to 95BHP - although still about the same as the 950)

The ktm will put a smile on your face that no GS can match, check out Rocky Burns 990 adv for sale on here ;)

They handle very well , have great suspension and you get loads of feedback also as I’m sure you’d know extremely good off road.
What I didn’t like was working on it. After airheads and 11##’s they are not nice to work on mainly because you have to take a lot off to get at stuff . I did have a particularly bad 950 that wouldn’t run right but my 990 was pretty faultless.

If you want to ride off road and do long distance too they’re brilliant and prices have bottomed out too which makes them a good deal .

Personally I’d just buy one , if you don’t like it sell it . It can be that simple. You’ll probably love it though:D

I hate mine :D

_MG_9052 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9061 by tunneruk, on Flickr

They're a fantastic bike if you buy a good one, if you buy one that's not been looked after then you'll likely struggle to bring it back.

They need looking after, they're not a bike to be relentlessly abused like a 600 bandit. Mine has just turned 50,000 miles and is as fresh as ever.

Love my 990 Dakar. There is no other bike that could do what it does. Std wheels shod with Mitas tyres for green laning. Then a quick swap to my 19-17 alpinas, and you really can throw it around like a supermoto.

It’s a keeper. And for me, that’s rare.

d2239783e1df98bf7342fc9c4204217b.jpg
b33f57d2cd5643916a05d81a3d817891.jpg
140bbffbf4c92b932325b0237e7a372f.jpg
9c62d819839b7c24476a752152b8471c.jpg

Im flying over london look at a 950

Sold mine regret it and no other bikes will replace it

But needs be minded and history as lads here said.

3-4k seems normal for adv bike and r1150gs be looking more

Love my 990 Dakar. There is no other bike that could do what it does. Std wheels shod with Mitas tyres for green laning. Then a quick swap to my 19-17 alpinas, and you really can throw it around like a supermoto.

It’s a keeper. And for me, that’s rare.

You need the far superior KTM SuperEnduro 950R - worth two Adventures....... :D

Still can’t match my 990 dakar on the road.

Road?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That’s my point. Not only can it trail ride. But it’s also a great scratcher.

Mega bike the adv.

That’s my point. Not only can it trail ride. But it’s also a great scratcher.

Mega bike the adv.

Do you simply cut and paste your comments from the KTM forum every time an SE is mentioned?

Im flying over london look at a 950

Sold mine regret it and no other bikes will replace it

But needs be minded and history as lads here said.

3-4k seems normal for adv bike and r1150gs be looking more

I had a 950 before but it didn’t run right. Mate has the same with his at the moment.

This 990 so far has been 100%. Don’t miss carburation except for the snatchy throttle. Removed the secondary butterflies and it’s better but not perfection. Like a lot of Fi.

Back
Top Bottom