Stainless bolts for Brembo front brake

sparkplug

Landlord
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
second from the left, third from the right
I have a 2000 1150 with the Brembo brakes.

The years and year-round riding have taken their toll and corrosion has set in.

I'm going to swap out the old bolts and wanted to put in new shiny stainless ones all round.

Anyone know if there's someone out there offering these as a kit?

Ta

S/S perfectly OK for the caliper bodies etc. I'd stick with new OE mounting bolts though ( then again, the sheer strength breaking point would have to be very very high to break a stainless bolt). OE rule !

Lack of tensile strength compared with OE.

Stainless is great for hanging body panels etc .....

+1

Never use our brakes.. ( fixings )
Steel bolts etc stretch & bend.
Stainless just snaps if enough load is put on it..

hadn't considered that...

Don't worry. I sold hundreds of stainless kits when i used to make them which included brake caliper mounting bolts and never had any problems.
In fact i've fitted them to almost all my bikes over the last 40 years without any problems.
The only place i wouldn't us them is for suspension mountings bolts.

A4 stainless is almost identical strength to the 8.8 alloy steel used in brake caliper mounting bolts.

i was thinking off swaping out my Disk Bolts for Ti..Got them Holding the Caliper on..is this a bad idea?

Fitted them on my old 1100's calipers, seem to remember the original caliper through bolts being very tight to come out.

Don't know if the originals are Loctited in, worth bearing in mind :augie

Aside from the already mentioned A2/A4 grade check, You also need to be wary of stainless fasteners into aluminium and especially magnesium parts. The stainless bolt will not corrode, but the Al and especially Mg will disappear like a sugar cube. You must use an appropriate isolating compound in order to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion. Grease will help, but you really need a product like Corban 27L or Mastinox 6856K (though Mastinox is more likely to kill you than your newly corroded brake calipers:) ).

39028948874_2793e66ac3_b.jpg

39028948904_ddf57ef960_b.jpg

Corrosion on magnesium component, with cadmium plated steel hardware. Stainless is sooo much worse.

Back
Top Bottom