ferry from Ireland to Spain

shay

Reaction score
Announced today

"Brittany Ferries has announced what it says is the first ever direct ferry link between Ireland and Spain, with tickets for sale by the end of January.
The company will operate two direct return sailings weekly from Cork to Santander in Northern Spain, it says, starting from the end of April.
A new ship will be chartered to serve the route, based on the économie model it already runs on services from the UK to France and Spain.

It will offer "a comfortable, no-frills service with a distinctly Spanish theme".
Journey times and lead-in prices have yet to be announced.

The 'Connemara' will carry around 500 passengers with space for 195 cars, and the company expects a 50/50 split between passengers and freight carried.

Cabins on the ship will feature beds for up to four passengers, and some will be pet-friendly. There will also be a small shop, café-bar and passenger lounges.

The ship will also deliver an additional weekly return sailing from Cork to Roscoff, a route that started 40 years ago, on St. Patrick's Day in 1978.
“This is a significant move for Brittany Ferries, offering haulage companies a direct route to Spain and passengers a far greater range of holiday options from Cork,” said Hugh Bruton, general manager with Brittany Ferries Ireland.

Santander is a short drive from Bilbao and San Sebastian, offering motorists willing to undertake the long journey a direct drop-off in 'green Spain'.
Until now, travellers wishing to take their car or a ferry to Spain had to travel via the UK or France. In 2014, LD Lines launched a connection from Rosslare to Spain (Gijón) via a 'landbridge' service in St Nazaire, but this ran only for a brief period.
The option for freight carriers to bypass the UK land bridge will be seen as very attractive, as Brexit uncertainty continues," added Captain Michael McCarthy, Commercial Manager at the Port of Cork, which welcomed the service.
The news comes as Irish Ferries prepares to take delivery of a new, €144 million cruise ferry for its Dublin-France service, the W.B. Yeats.

It, together with Brittany's new investment in the Cork-Roscoff route, will provide a big injection of capacity to France in 2018.

It’s going to be a busy ship. 2 return sailings to Spain and 1 return to France weekly. JJH

The pricing will be interesting....
Two sailings a week, tickets for sale end of January, service commences in April, bring it fucking on.....

Am booked in with Overlanders in June for Bilbao and home from Malaga.
This may have changed things a little.

I find the only draw back with Overlanders is the time without your bike at either end.

Sent from a U11

Very interesting - we were talking only last night about moving over to Ireland, one reservation has been the long journey time to southern France and Spain. :aidan

All down to price, could be a big game changer for Spanish bike trips and the new ferry form Dublin to France will do well thats for sure..
You can never have enough choise when it comes to travel .
Happy days :aidan

Wow, that's great news. I can imagine doing a round trip with arriving at a French port and returning in Santander or visa versa.

:)
It will offer "a comfortable, no-frills service with a distinctly Spanish theme".
Crossings will take approximately 26 hours, with departures from Cork on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Lead-in prices have yet to be announced.

If it's significantly (by which I mean waaaaaay) cheaper than ship bikes/fly, and it gives me more riding time at destination, then I'm excited.

Outbound is Wednesday & Friday, inbound is Thursday & Sunday, according to here
No word on cost yet though...

The existing Brittany Ferries crossing to Spain from the UK isn't exactly cheap so it will be interesting to see how the prices goes on this one.

In today's Club Voyage newsletter it states that there will be no discount offered on this route.

In today's Club Voyage newsletter it states that there will be no discount offered on this route.

But that is nothing new as Brittany Ferries don't include the Cork Roscoff route in discounts. Maybe when they have more routes and departures to fill, they may have to incentivise customers to win them over from the other ferry operators. Interesting times.

Just spoke with Noel (Noelle? - female) in Brittany Ferries Cork: 2 men, 2 bikes, sharing a 4-berth cabin, outbound mid-September, return end-September - €748 (€374 each).

Just spoke with Noel (Noelle? - female) in Brittany Ferries Cork: 2 men, 2 bikes, sharing a 4-berth cabin, outbound mid-September, return end-September - €748 (€374 each).

That will be bumped up in July - Sept, I think

Back
Top Bottom