Nav6 and garmin smart link

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right section but hey ho. I have an iPhone with the garmin smart link app installed, all linked to my nav 6, now I understand that my iPhone sends weather conditions to the nav6 that I can see on the nav screen, that is a pretty good feature, along with traffic. But what else does this app do, I’m sure I’ve read people plan routes with it and send to their nav6? How do you do this, or is this just an Android app option?

Not sure if this is in the right section but hey ho. I have an iPhone with the garmin smart link app installed, all linked to my nav 6, now I understand that my iPhone sends weather conditions to the nav6 that I can see on the nav screen, that is a pretty good feature, along with traffic. But what else does this app do, I’m sure I’ve read people plan routes with it and send to their nav6? How do you do this, or is this just an Android app option?

I use Smartlink with a Nav 5 and, shortly, with a Nav 6. From the Smartlink app on your phone you can access subscriptions to get speed camera, traffic, weather and parking information. With Smartlink active on your Nav, you will then get warnings etc based on the information being fed from Smartlink. So far as I am aware, it does not export routes or provide and mapping information.

Very useful app though!

Based on that then what does “pick a location” do or achieve, I have tried picking a location and sending it to the nav but with no success.

Had another go at this today and got it to sort of work, you can't or i couldn't plan the route on my phone but i did get it to route to the destination sent by the phone, just open the app on your iPhone, type in a destination or pick a point on the map on the phone and click send to device on the phone, you the get a pop up on the Nav with a choice of No/info/Go I picked go and it routed me straight there, but its no different to typing the destination direct into your unit, but if you have address's saved in your contacts you can just click on the contact and send to the unit. Also you can choose a place from foursquare and send that destination to your unit.
You can't plan a route (unless you know different) but it is another way of searching and routing.

Back
Top Bottom