Convince me to fit y piece remus can etc

Does anyone know what size spanner the lambda sensor requires? My largest open ended is 19mm and it is a bit bigger than that. It saw it recently in a thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

Remus

Steve Currell

I also live in St. Ives., mines a silver GS if you're out and about.

Am about to fit a Remus can having had the Y piece for a year now.

Interested in what you said about the vibration and how you solved it.

Could you provide further details?

Thanks

David T

Re: Remus

David Thorpe said:
Steve Currell
I also live in St. Ives., mines a silver GS if you're out and about.
Am about to fit a Remus can having had the Y piece for a year now.
Interested in what you said about the vibration and how you solved it.
Could you provide further details?
Thanks
David T

David,

I don't think you'll find it a problem. I think the Remus mounting brackets are different now. I used one of those rubber cotton reels with the bolt at each end, and that got rid of the vibration.

I actually remembered, after posting about the vibration, that my rubber spacer broke, and the can is now bolted directly to the mounting point again, but there is no longer any vibration, so it may have just been a throttle balance problem.

Anyway, it pulls like a train, and sounds like a Spitfire. What more could you want?

Steve.

PS. Mine's a yeller one, full Remus, MRA screen, Ohlins F & R, Boxer-Design side panels, peg-lowering kit, small black rack box.

Remus Y piece

Steve, Glad to hear the Remus is such a boost. Just a query before I fit mine. It arrived in the post yesterday. The Y piece has a strange triangular appendage to its right, ( as fitted to the bike) and has a kind of outrigger to the bottom. I assume the bottom outrigger is a centre stand stop/rest but can't work out the other 'bit'. It also has three loops with holes in wlded close to where the end can bolts on to. I can only assume these are for spring clips for some kinds of end can. I want to be sure before I start dismantling that I have the right Y piece. does it sound like yours or anyone alse who has fitted a Remus Y piece? Everyhting else looks OK and it looks like it will all line up. Help!!!!

Cheers David :confused: :confused:

David,

Yep, mines got the funny sticky-outy bit on as well. Never did know what it was for. It's got the eyed loops as well, so I reckon you've got the right one.

Steve.

Here goes!!!

Steve, Many thanks for that boost in confidence. Its now 9.15am, into the garage and lets see what happens!! Hope I don't come up against the 'Sebring' problems!

Cheers David :beerjug:

The Remus fit

If only life were simple! So, started at 9.15 this morning thinking no problem of a job and out on the bike this aft'. Took ages to get the OE silencer off, ended up dismantling the whole thing! Anyway a sense of achievement. Moral her, my bike is two years old, used in all weathers so even though I clean it carefully the crud gets in to those parts which 'crap weld' everything together.

Next stage removal of 'Cat'. no problem, ( I thought). Having drenched everything in Plus gas for a week the main nut slacks came undone except for the allen screw star things which attach the cat to the centre stand assembly.

Problem; Allen keys won't fir and will chew up the things if not careful and none of the said keys in the tool kit fit! Any ideas where I can get one or will I be going cap in hand to the dealer.

Anyway brassed off with it so I have just put the Remus Revolution can on.

The good news; It fits like a glove, looks fantastic, weighs a ton less and does sound more fruity. So I'm going for a ride anyway.

All suggetsions gratefully received.

David :beer:

David,

can't remember exactly, but is it a Torx bit you're looking for? Any reputable car accessory dealer should have them. I bought a set, as I was bound to need them again sometime.

Steve.

Hey Steve, not that I would every doubt you, but the toolkit should have two torx drivers, offset thingies, you know, L shaped. I just put my y-piece on yesterday, surprised me to see them in the bike as I hadn't actually looked before! And hadn't really noticed them in the toolkit. But there's a few around on the bike so it'd surely be a good buy.

Julian :)

Torx bits

Steve, Many thanks for that I will be buying myself a set tomorrow. It will still be cheaper than BMW hourly rate!

Julien, Did you manage to fit your Y piece with the tools supplied in the standard tool kit. I have two as you say but both are too small . Have you one that I havn't?

Good news is that , (though its probably phsycological) even with just the Remus can fitted it seems to go better. It pulls well in E gear . Hopefully next w/end the job will be finished with the full system in place !!

Cheers All David :beerjug:

Remus can

Steve

Thanks for info on Rubber washer for can to frame fixing.

I wondered why my bike popped so much with the y fitted, will try exhaust paste when I receive and fit the new can.

Sympathies to anyone out there trying to remove the sensor from the cat. It was a bugger, I ended uo with the right size spanner an extension bar and the help of a strong neighbour before mine would budge!

David

Stubborn Lambda sensor

Opps! I have that to look forward to. I swear by 'plus gas', it seems to ease of most things. It even eased off a seized 1971 350 Yam I am restoring. Keep me posted on any problems you come across. you will have seen my 'saga' on silencer removal and being goosed by the 'torx' fittings which attach the cat to the centre stand assembly.

Cheers David:beer:

David S - Got three torx drivers, sizes are 45, 30 and 25 (it's stamped on them). The 30 is the one I used. But it's on an "02 Adventure. Did up the nuts with a socket on a small drive rachet. Adj. Crescent spanner on the sensor. Eased it off and on with a steel paint chipping hammer!!! :gosh (With a bit of wood too!) Went on easy though only took a few minutes. I know they have longer centrestands so I don't know if it's different from yours. Pity, I've got two sets, have two seats. Bit far away though... :(

cheers Julian :beerjug:

More on exhaust sagas

Julian, Mine is an 01 GS1150 so I guess the Adventurer has a more upmarket tool kit. You seem to have had fun with the Lambda sensor! Does your Y piece have the three lugs welded to it close to the end can end, ( if you see what I mean)? Another thread on Sebring problems has highlighted they are problematic and it would seem most people are cutting them off or bashing them with hammer and cold chisel, ( sounds drastic)!.

Its only doggedness now which is making me DIY this one. Suddenly taking it to the dealer seems more logical, ( but far less satisfying).

Cheers David

:D

know exactly what you mean!

matter of principle now, yes? Yes my y-piece has the lugs, you can see them here:
more y-piece details
I am surprised people have needed to cut them off, I didn't as you can see from the image on the other thread. I can't believe Sebring would make them different, so maybe some of the bikes are just a bit - that would fit in with what Vern says about making adjustment for individual bikes for his panniers.

Really once I had it on loosely and got a little help to lift the y-piece a fraction, while I centred and did up the silencer it was fine, it all fit and then it was just a matter of tightening up the rest.

I can't see yours of course, but I find it hard to imagine it can't be done. But you're there and I'm not, and I've been wrong too many times before! The clamp will be very close to the innermost lugs, but should still be ok.

You've probably fixed it by now, but here's another shot.

Best of luck!!
:beer:

Attachments

• exh2.jpg
    exh2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 425
Top diagram!

Julian,

Many thanks. A picture tells a thousand words or something! My Y piece looks exactly like yours, ( once I had got it orientated!). Hopefully it will fit without having to take drastic measures. Does yours have a strange triangular appendage on its right hand side, ( looking at it from the rear of the bike from top down? Mine has and I cant understand what its for. Before I fit it I want to know whether it will foul the brake torque arm.

Just a further query, Are those 'Torx' screws a tight fit and when fitting the Y piece does the bit hanging off the bottom of the Y piece have anything to do with these 'Torx' screws or does the appendage simply act as a rest for the centre stand ?

Cheers David:confused: :beer:

What was that Nike slogan....?

Hiya Dave! Just home after too much overtime, must get a life. Still, the can comes sooner this way! :D

Hope this pic helps, the only triangular thing I can see is indeed the centrestand rest, well clear of anything.

The torx bolts are just to secure the y-piece to the base of the engine block, presumably to reduce vibration, make secure etc, from what I can see. A tight fit? Well yes, I s'pose they'd want to be...! Seriously, when bolting back on I did have to lever one side back up a little (put the torx bolt in the easy side first, not tight though) and then put the other side in. No effort, enough movement there, then tighten up. Doesn't rub up against anything. Promise!;)

When you do it, I'd say if you need to start thinking of drastic measures, sit back and think again. Should be straightforward, IMO.

Hope it helps!

:beerjug:
Julian

Attachments

• ya2.jpg
    ya2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 395
I think I'm ready now!!

Julian, Many thanks, yup mine looks like that although the sticky out centre stand rest is slightly different. Borrowed a set of 'Torx' sockets from a mate. Ready to tackle it now. Thanks for the help and reassurance.

I expect you are roasting in 'Oz', its bloody freezing here with heavy snow forecast for next few days. Bugger!!

Cheers david:beer: :beer:

Torx bolts

One of my Torx bolts had broken off in the mounting and, after consulting Woolaston BMW about a replacement, they recommended NOT replacing it. They said that, when fitting a Y, it does not need the extra support of these 2 bolts which can cause the Y to crack. The Y is much lighter than the cat.

wouldn't have occurred to me...

so, Littlered, thanks! Might consider taking them out now! Although I'd wonder if there wasn't enough give in the connections somewhere. V. Good point about the weight, hadn't thought of how it might change things. Might take them out and see how it looks, but the horizontal bar welded on to the y-piece to connect to the block is surely going to bang up against it without them?? I appreciate that the obvious answer that it's there so it must be right isn't always so, so dunno, but thanks, :) will have a look at it.

David - snow? :rolleyes: Very funny. Actually cool this week only 2 days over 35, most around 30. High 30's on the weekend. Just have to do nothing strenous with a cold beer, how sad! :beer:

cheers fellas! :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom