Basecamp on an iPad?

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is it possible to run Basecamp on an iPad? or does it need iOS on a Mac laptop?

Even if you could run basecamp how would you download routes onto your device?
I’ve been using MyRoute-app for the last year. Runs on any mobile platform and whilst you still can’t download routes onto a Garmin or TomTom (from an iPad) you can use your phone as a sat nav if you want to change a pre planned route.
I’ve got used to MyRoute-app now and don’t bother with basecamp anymore. As with anything there are compromises to be made but I prefer having the flexibility to plan routes on a daily basis.
Or just buy a cheap windows lap top 😎

Hi Paul,

As a follow up to your question, what was it you were trying to do through using BaseCamp on an iPad?

It would, I admit, be a huge leap forward if Garmin developed an app whereby their routable mapping was useable on an iPad (or even an iPhone) with the created route being able to be sent via BlueTooth to a Garmin device. I use an iPad Pro most of the time, its big screen would definitely lend itself to displaying maps and creating routes.

Until and if Garmin do, the next best alternatives I’ve found for route creation and / or amendment of an existing .gpx route on my iPad or iPhone are the Pocket Earth Pro and MyRoute apps. The only significant downside is that whilst you can very easily create pretty complicated and long routes and export them as a .gpx file you then need a PC or Mac to get the route onto your Garmin device. Just being able to BlueTooth them across would be great.

As a follow up to your question, what was it you were trying to do through using BaseCamp on an iPad?

Richard

at the moment, I pack my MacBook Pro when I go on a m'biking holiday , so that I can tinker with pre-planned routes and/or create new ones as and when needed. I was interested to see if I could ditch the laptop and pack a lighter iPad instead. Having read what others are doing, I think I shall stick with my laptop for now.

I guess one of the problems is that Apple still run two operating systems: one for their laptops etc and a completely different one for iPads and iPhones. I do wonder why they have not followed Microsoft's lead in having the same software on both

Thanks for the answer, I guessed as much.

I must admit that taking my MacBook Air with me does mean that I can pretty easily create / amend routes on the hoof and does save a lot of fiddling about. Using my iPad Pro instead would be the icing on the cake.

Cheers,

Richard

Back
Top Bottom