Does camping gear get nicked off bikes?

My pal left his lid on the mirror in a petrol station whilst paying......scooter boy came along.....thank you.....

Stopped in Germany last year and a guy parked outside of the main doors at a service station came back to find both helmet and jacket gone!...... daylight and with loads of people around so my thoughts are if you are prepared to lose it dont lock it.

The Highlands seem to be thankfully free of this sort of oppertunistic thievery,I wouldn't worry too much about luggage strapped to a bike but helmets /jackets would alway lock or take with me.

I often wonder when i see helmets locked to the Bike by the 'visor hole', using the Bikes own lock and chain, and locked low down on the Bike ...

... how often passing dogs takes a piss in the lid? :barf
Not just passing dogs.If I see a lid strapped to a parked up gs I always take a well earned slash into it

If you are planning on visiting Inverness the best parking spot is the Old Town Rose Street multi storey,its under cover,free for bikes and covered by CCTV,I regularily see helmets left on bikes there and never heard of any being stolen,they do also have lockers for hire in the bike parking area.

My brother had a load of stuff knicked off his bike in Central France. He couldn’t find the booked hotel & ended up parking and crashing out by the bike as continuing to ride was getting dangerous. He awoke to no stuff on the bike. Thankfully his keys, phone and money were in his pockets.

A monowheel (leaning) trailer solves a lot of problems. But would have to be a fully closed type and padlocked to the bike. They carry 80% of the luggage weight and lean with the bike so handling is affected less than loading it all on the bike.

My brother had a load of stuff knicked off his bike in Central France. He couldn’t find the booked hotel & ended up parking and crashing out by the bike as continuing to ride was getting dangerous. He awoke to no stuff on the bike. Thankfully his keys, phone and money were in his pockets.

A monowheel (leaning) trailer solves a lot of problems. But would have to be a fully closed type and padlocked to the bike. They carry 80% of the luggage weight and lean with the bike so handling is affected less than loading it all on the bike.

With the anti speed Gestapo in France, and the new reduced speed limits; a trailer is beginning to look more like a good option .

...especially if there are lots of bikes parked together, I think there's kind of a code that stuff gets left alone

Bikermate Code, Chapter 3, subsections 17 through 23, as amended by the bikermates’ convention at Big Dell’s 15 January 1973:

For it is decreed that when three or more likeminds are gathered for the purpose of chillin’, gassing or even kicking back and flower pressing, that they can and should leave their shit however they like and no fucker shall touch it. Not ever, mate.

Bikermate Code, Chapter 3, subsections 17 through 23, as amended by the bikermates’ convention at Big Dell’s 15 January 1973:

For it is decreed that when three or more likeminds are gathered for the purpose of chillin’, gassing or even kicking back and flower pressing, that they can and should leave their shit however they like and no fucker shall touch it. Not ever, mate.

Yes, that's it

With the anti speed Gestapo in France, and the new reduced speed limits; a trailer is beginning to look more like a good option .

I drag a trailer a lot. It is fine at excess speed.

2d2441e7768d31b04128df2e82dcfa4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my Arai X3 nicked off my bike while i was carrying my gear into my hotel in Ibiza I'd left it on my mirror 5 - 10 min.

The bike was parked in a side street bike parking area so i assume the opportunist thieving cnut took it while collecting his bike. :blast

I'm more careful now but try no to get too paranoid otherwise you wont enjoy your biking

I’ve never had anything stolen when away camping on the bike but I’m always careful not to leave anything that I really can’t risk losing tucked away in the tent.

I’ve not heard of anything other than beers being removed at countless bike rallies over the last 40 years but I do know of a few cases of tents being robbed at race meetings and festivals so it does happen.

Wrap your gear with your used trollies.

Nobody will touch it then.

HTH

When I was travelling backwards and forwards to Kazakhstan on a regular basis the so called customs officials at Atyrau used to have a bad habit of thieving from bags so I always left a pair of trollies with a very visible brown streak applied with a Mars Bar right on top :D

Planning my first motorbike camping trip to Scotland in May. Are you guys ever worried about gear that's strapped to your bike getting nicked whilst you park up and go for a walk around, or is everything in secure hard luggage the way?

Never mind strapped to the bike .

Years ago I caught some twat trying to nick my not a cheapo tent. I was lucky that I was in the site reception at the time. He had removed two on the lines so I walked towards my tent at an angle so it didn't look like it was me returning to my tent. I waved a hello mate kind of wave then when I was closer made a direct path to my tent.

" what's you game " ? His reply was he was " doing the owner a favour re pegging the lines " my reply you can imagine. Anyway i frog marched him to the reception and photographed him on my phone. He was a Middle Aged well dressed walker / camper but he wasn't staying on the site. His car was in the car park ready to make off with my kit. I took a photo of his reg number and he was informed by the site manager any reports of theft he would be answering to the cops.

He was deffo thieving , but with hindsight I would of given him a few mire minutes to take down the tent. That said I was so annoyed I didn't wait. The temptation was to punch him but I'd of been in the wrong no doubt so I refrained.

Always been careful (but have been paranoid about not using soft luggage since the mid 80's ), a pair of brand new Levis and new Adidas Samba trainers stolen out of soft panniers on the bike whilst on the cross channel ferry from Dover to Calais.

Townsend Thoresen said it wasn't possible as only crew were allowed on the car decks during the crossing !

The same question could be asked about your gear left in the tent when you go off for the day.....I have never had any problem, but I expect it happens.

Shame doesn't seem to deter people anymore - 'in my day' the shame of wronging someone held people 'behind the line' and common decency was more common than it is now. Or have I just led a sheltered life?

The same question could be asked about your gear left in the tent when you go off for the day.....I have never had any problem, but I expect it happens.

Shame doesn't seem to deter people anymore - 'in my day' the shame of wronging someone held people 'behind the line' and common decency was more common than it is now. Or have I just led a sheltered life?

Whatever the mode of transport, I always try to "halve the hit".

Everything goes in the tent and all vents and zips closed.
Some hundred quid items will be put in transport.
All stuff in motor or on bike hidden from view.

Thy can rob one, but both in the same day would be a day to forget.

I’ve taken a set of car keys to a family in France after someone sliced their tent while they were sleeping and took their stuff.
Luckily, they didn’t take the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom