Another oil question... But indulge me

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
My local Tescos is selling Castrol Power 1 10W-40 4T SL oil for £3.12 a litre, down from £12.47. My 1150 GSA currently uses Castrol 20W-50 Activo and burns the usual amount.

My questions are:

1. Would the 10W-40 be okay?
2. Will the bike burn a lot more due to the thinner consistency?
3. Given it will still be in the bike when I do a tour of Scotland later in June could it cause me any problems?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for starting another oil thread!!!!

T

If you want to choose an oil purely on price that's your decision :)

Before the tsunami starts :).

I'll just throw in that with the 20/50, the motor will be a lot quieter. But 10/40 will work just fine. Lots of people using it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

10W-40 in my 1150 makes the engine a bit louder than 20w-50 especially in the summer months, but as your trip is to Scotland I think it would be fine on 10w-40. If you were going to somewhere hot, that would be another matter. I have no idea about the consumption though with a thinner oil.

So, Castrol Power 1 Racing 10W-40 4T is a fully synthetic 4-stroke engine oil with the following specs:

• SAE 10W-40
  • JASO MA-2 (T903: 2011)
  • API SL

Perfect for my Yamaha buggy!

:thumb2

Got to Rome and back (max temp 38c) a while back with 10/40 semi synth...it was fine, so I'd imagine it'll be even finer on Castrol power 1 fully synthetic :thumb2

That was on a 2003 1150 GS

So, Castrol Power 1 Racing 10W-40 4T is a fully synthetic 4-stroke engine oil with the following specs:

• SAE 10W-40
  • JASO MA-2 (T903: 2011)
  • API SL

Perfect for my Yamaha buggy!

:thumb2

I've not got your Yamaha buggy; any good for a 1150GSA? :beerjug:

7c2eef49aee660fd96c2c79befc7aa28.jpg

A pic of it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having read a LOT of oil threads on all sorts of machinery i would say to OP - buy that stuff.
If this was a forum for precision engineered bikes like - I dunno - Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis or Yamahas then it may be worth pausing for thought.
I have never heard my builder mates discussing "...so what oil do you put in your cement mixer?"
On the scale of precision engines to cement mixers we're down the shallow end.
If I was in Tescos right now I would buy the stuff you found and then head off to the beer aisle with a song in my heart and a tune on my lips.

IMG_17491_zpsckoxkupz.jpg

I know what it looks like.... :D

I know the spec too.

But I don't have an 1150GS any more and I can't remember what you are supposed to tip in.

Have you read the manual?

If you want to choose an oil purely on price that's your decision :)

Alright then, but a simple search would have told you that certainly when 1150s were born 10W-40 was the recommended oil since then the view was 20W-50 was more suitable partly down to it reducing cam chain rattle.

So, 18 years ago we'd all be saying yes go for it of course, now we're still undecided but there's one thing for sure the 10W-40 will be fine.

Nothing's black and white :D

Having read a LOT of oil threads on all sorts of machinery i would say to OP - buy that stuff.
If this was a forum for precision engineered bikes like - I dunno - Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis or Yamahas then it may be worth pausing for thought.
I have never heard my builder mates discussing "...so what oil do you put in your cement mixer?"
On the scale of precision engines to cement mixers we're down the shallow end.
If I was in Tescos right now I would buy the stuff you found and then head off to the beer aisle with a song in my heart and a tune on my lips.

Thanks Cloudy, that was kind of my thinking - I drive an old Discovery 2 and I think of the GS in very much the same vein. Though I thought I would just check for any horror stories. Been back to Tescos and picked up 10 of them for £31.20! Enough for 2 oil changes and with filters costing £20 each! Bargain.

Thanks all for the advice - as ever, the novice amongst you greatly appreciates it.

I got a gallon of castrol 10/40 synthetic from Asda its in my R1100GS n runs fine with it in ,its coming up for an oil change might pick up some Millers oil 20/50 ring free @ the bike jumble @ Lanark in a couple of wks time ..

I ran 1100's on 10-40 for years with no probs... Mainly as I sold 11/1150's for a dealer when BMW were recommending Castrol GPS 10-40... Didn't seem to harm them then and I'm sure the swiss watch fairies haven't been rebuilding them... :)

I work in autoparts and if I was you I would buy as much of that oil as you can carry... That is waaaay below what it should sell for and will be good for all manner of bikes... A serious bargain...

Back
Top Bottom