what a good idea...

Yes, I doubt if there will be any cheap Chinese Knock-Offs for these items like there is with the fender extender and mudsling, as there appears to be too much extra and accurate engineering involved, plus these are are built up from various different materials, such as alloy and abs, and I see that the captive nut inserts are made of brass...nice touch!

The bracket that mounts the inboard fixing to the bars is nice too.

As with all good engineering....The devil is in the detail!

Just ordered a set - can’t get on with my muffs on the new TB so thought I’d try these instead. I’ll put some pics up and report back when I’ve fitted them. They cost more than my first bike ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just ordered a set - can’t get on with my muffs on the new TB so thought I’d try these instead. I’ll put some pics up and report back when I’ve fitted them. They cost more than my first bike ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use muffs, but do miss the visibility of open hand guards.

Be good to hear your thoughts.

Hand Guards

I only discovered the Machineart hand guards a few weeks ago. I was going to fit TT or Wunderlich extenders, but Machineart looked so well made, and gave 3 protection settings, that I decided Machineart were the way to go.
Fabulous bit of kit, and they show how little protection from the elements the OE guards gave me. They cut out that blast over the top of my hands, and seem to protect me even up my wrists. Even with the heated grips on, the blast over the top of my hands with the OE guards sucked the heat away.
Needless to say, the engineering is top class, and they actually look really well on the bike.
The ability to swop quickly between the different levels of protection is something I had not come across before.
I reckon they will delay the point where the heated grips go on.
It's early days, but these get my vote

Well I bought a set, just in the middle of fitting them and am impressed with the fit and build quality. I’ve retained my evotech bar end weights to, by leaving off the supplied MAM bushes.

A couple of pictures compared to stock

Spoiler down

9446e2561c7a32cc107cd7f12df4e1a3.jpg

Spoiler raised

886cb3258778ec7d429c29a968955dde.jpg

A close up

5c1f22af1234436bb89699a6b154bd4e.jpg

I only discovered the Machineart hand guards a few weeks ago. I was going to fit TT or Wunderlich extenders, but Machineart looked so well made, and gave 3 protection settings, that I decided Machineart were the way to go.
Fabulous bit of kit, and they show how little protection from the elements the OE guards gave me. They cut out that blast over the top of my hands, and seem to protect me even up my wrists. Even with the heated grips on, the blast over the top of my hands with the OE guards sucked the heat away.
Needless to say, the engineering is top class, and they actually look really well on the bike.
The ability to swop quickly between the different levels of protection is something I had not come across before.
I reckon they will delay the point where the heated grips go on.
It's early days, but these get my vote

I bought a pair of Wunderlich extenders back at the start of Dec, about a week or two before the Advanced Guards appeared on NNs (least, it seemed to me). I have wrestled over the last 2-3 months with having made the investment in the extenders rather than the guards, but simply had to pull the trigger last week.

Machineart stuff has always been quality and well designed but basic in form and finish - mudsling, avant guard, x-heads. However, with the Advanced Guards, Andrew has moved machineart up a notch. Great design, a 'wow' quality finish on the exoskeleton and brackets. Makes bark busters look like something knocked up at the back of a shed.

I were to critique, there's probably room for improvement in the grey inserts: I not sure the material really works and I think there's something not quite 100% with the moulding along the bottom of the inserts. And the honeycomb back gives an unfinished appearance with the 'winter shield' removed. Also, the guards rub the windshield knob slightly if you're doing an off bike manoeuvre.

But still, these are going to fly off the shelves.

Confirmation bias is a funny old thing. When I fitted the Wunderlich extenders, at first I thought, ooh, they look a bit big. Then I thought, nah, the make the GS look quite Adventure-ish, look good, like them.

When I put the Advanced Guards on, I actually appreciated the look of the Wunderlich extenders, until I got into the sporty :blagblah GS mentality - then everything clicked into place.

PS. I also retained my evotech weights, retained the bar end screws supplied with the evotechs and used the end caps supplied with the advanced guard, no problems.

PICTURES

Attachments

• 20180218-7.jpg
    20180218-7.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 191
  • 20180218-3.jpg
    20180218-3.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 20180218-1.jpg