Rear puncture - don't rely on side stand!!

joness7

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had an "interesting" problem the other day. Pulled into petrol station to fill my AT on way to work. Go and pay and get back on. Bike feels "off" but ride out of petrol station, uh oh, worked out what was off, my rear tyre is going down. Do a wobbly U turn and head back into petrol station forecourt to park up somewhere pretty level and call a mobile tyre repair place.

So I'm a little bit away from my bike, sat on a wall on the phone to a tyre repairer, and glance over to the bike just as it decides to fall over!! It seems the rear has dropped that much onto the rim that the side stand is now too long for the bike and pushed it over. This also made it interesting picking it back up as I had the side stand down still (not realising the problem yet), so couldn't get the bike quite horizontal and was the wrong side of it......

Bike not too damaged. The Honda roundel on the right side took the brunt. Bit of a scuff to the corner of the fairing nearest the rider, my helmet hit the ground as well as it was on the passenger seat (I know, never leave your helmet, but wasn't expecting that.....)

So be forewarned, if you have a rear puncture, get it onto the centre stand ASAP. I reckon I picked up a big screw in my rear tyre either as I crossed the central "no mans land" to pull into the garage (it was on the right side) or in the gutter right outside the garage.

Sorry to hear of you unfortunate incident, I guess it’s obvious now, but not having encountered it before, it’s a hard lesson learned. Not the reason I have specified a center stand, on my new ATAS, but I’m glad I have on.

That’s a bummer, would never have thought about that either, sorry you learnt the hard way, but thanks for giving us the heads up.

I thought everyone knew that a trail bike, with a rear puncture, always topples off the sidestand

You live and learn

Best lay the bike on its side, from the off and it saves that annoying thud and damage as it falls over:blast

Just lay her over and wait for the AA, or take the wheel out and fix it?

Thankfully (touch wood), never had a puncture, but who needs a side stand on a Trials bike, plenty of trees down this neck of the woods, to lean a bike up against!
:thumb

I thought everyone knew that a trail bike, with a rear puncture, always topples off the sidestand

You live and learn

Best lay the bike on its side, from the off and it saves that annoying thud and damage as it falls over:blast

Just lay her over and wait for the AA, or take the wheel out and fix it?

On our annual jaunt into Europe, the same happened just outside the ferry port this year..................... Nightmare.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/peterwaters1962/videos/vb.768896102/10155476615031103/?type=3[/video]

Thankfully (touch wood), never had a puncture, but who needs a side stand on a Trials bike, plenty of trees down this neck of the woods, to lean a bike up against!
:thumb

Should have leant his AT against a wall or building

On our annual jaunt into Europe, the same happened just outside the ferry port this year..................... Nightmare.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/peterwaters1962/videos/vb.768896102/10155476615031103/?type=3[/video]

Not everyone uses Facebook.

Were there pictures?

I was saying it in jest, as I thought Johnny was referring about Trials riders (as he as well as I ride trials). However, I miss read it, he wrote Trail, not trial. Lesson learned, wear your reading glasses you fool. Sorry.

No that would be spectacular, someone riding an African Twin in Trials, think we need Crimbo Jarvis :bow to have a go at that! :eek: :D :thumb

There’s a Woeful dearth of trees on many garage forecourts :p

I was saying it in jest, as I thought Johnny was referring about Trials riders (as he as well as I ride trials). However, I miss read it, he wrote Trail, not trial. Lesson learned, wear your reading glasses you fool. Sorry.

No that would be spectacular, someone riding an African Twin in Trials, think we need Crimbo Jarvis :bow to have a go at that! :eek: :D :thumb

Graham Grimbo Jarvis, No2 in trials “the nearly man” and the No1 in extreme enduro, aswell as being a damm good fellow.

And back to the OP, Centre stand is the solution ;):D.

Back
Top Bottom