Is it advisable to replace disc bolts when replacing a disc?

Blade Runner

Reaction score
Just a quick one.
If I change the rear disc (which I intend to do) Do I need to renew the 5 bolts holding it or are they ok to re-use based on them looking ok when removed.

Just a quick one.
If I change the rear disc (which I intend to do) Do I need to renew the 5 bolts holding it or are they ok to re-use based on them looking ok when removed.

I can't see how the bolts would be 'used'... except that they will have been ever so slightly 'stretched' by the initial torque process but that is the same for every fastener under torque.
I'd use them again, but if there are lock washers or similar underneath I would change those.

Thanks Digga.
I never have on bikes in the past, just thought i'd ask so I could make sure I had everything needed foor when I do it.

The Bobbins we source for 1150's front 'rattle' don't cost a fortune in the grander scheme of things.
What 30 odd quid to do both 1150 front discs?
Rear OEM shouldn't cost much and peace of mind is worth??

Hi

I seem to recall that manufacturers recommended the bolts should never be reused.

The cynical may think its to increase their profit margin.

BMW recommend new bolts be fitted because they are micro encapsulated with thread lock at the factory.

I'm not generally a fan of renewing bolts as, normally imo, there is no real need but, disc bolts i do.
The disc bolts can be a bugger to get out as there isn't a lot of "bite" for the Torx bit in the head and it's
really easy to end up with a bolt you struggle to remove therefore, i order new bolts at the same time i
order the disc then, i don't end up with a knackered bolt head and no new bolt to replace it.
Apart from that, it is a brake disc and new bolts do offer a bit more confidence i suppose.

You can re-use the bolts (with some new Loctite) but as UturnTony stated if your disc has been on a while you are likely to damage the Torx head when getting them out...which you will only find out when you come to fit the new disk :rolleyes:

If you have not bought the disc yet then buy the bolts at the same time. You can always return them or use them next time.

The disc bolts are in shear, not tension - so you should have no problem with re-using them.

Clean off the old thread lock and coat with a low-yield thread lock before re-use

Al

The reprom says to heat the bolts before undoing them. I used the wife's hairdryer (as powerful as some heat guns) on my front ones, which did the job, the bolts came out very easily.
Pete

I had this dilemma when changing disks, the rear ones were replaced as I bought some new ones but the front ones were a different length to the ones they sell (if I remember I had 20mm bolts and the ones I bought were 22mm), so we re-loctited and re-used the old ones. I think we would have been OK with the new ones but have not had any issues since. If you are going to change them, take one out and check it against what you buy.

Thanks all for your input. Some very good opinions, for and against.
I think I will buy some as I always find 1 bolt that won't play ball but I will heat before removal and keep them as spares it they come out ok.

My Suzuki has the original 1970s fitted bolts which show no signs of any corrosion. HT bolts rust quickly when exposed so I expect they are a normal grade material. They got re used of course but I did fit new locking tabs.

TBH at £1 each you may as well replace especially as the Torx centre is likely to be showing signs of salt damage if nothing else. Make 100% sure you have the largest Torx bit that will fit before trying to move them. The next size down feels like a fit until you try the next one.

I have a new rear brake disc in the man cave awaiting fitting before Alaska this year. I planned to clean and re-use the original bolts but when I saw how cheap they are I decided to follow the advice and get new ones. It has a control / safety function and I value that as mofre than a few quid. :D

Front disc has expansion bobbins they tend need renewing when the discs are worn out. If doing that may as well fit new bolts as well.

I fitted new bolts with my discs.
Also, heated the torx bit first with a blow lamp in order to get heat in to the bolt - painless.

Back
Top Bottom