Where was I etc...

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Where was I today, and what is behind the name (no, not a wall) ?

Attachments

• atmospheric road small.jpg
    atmospheric road small.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 144
Would it be the old Atmospheric railway in Dalkey? Some weird system invented by Brunel or somebody similar whereby the train was drawn along the line by suction from a static engine. Never really caught on, but gloriously Irish in its conception (and failure :D ).

On the other hand, I could be talking complete bollox (again) :D

Probably not too far off the mark ( location wise ) as Barnhill is in Dalkey all right.

Dunno about the rest tho :D :D

Jaysus, boys, I'll have to dig deeper, that one did'n't take a feather out of yis.

...BJ... made an error in the alliteration then...
...s/be ...you won't flutter a feather outta Fluthers!

shuck raider said:
Would it be the old Atmospheric railway in Dalkey? Some weird system invented by Brunel or somebody similar whereby the train was drawn along the line by suction from a static engine. Never really caught on, but gloriously Irish in its conception (and failure :D ).

On the other hand, I could be talking complete bollox (again) :D

I thought that was at Dawlish (Devon), pre broad-gauge days.

... could be wrong.

... actually I think I'm right.

:rolleyes:

OK, we'll go Dutch on it , 'cos I never heard of the Devon one either :)

More on the Dalkey line here

Just had a quick search, opened in 1846, ran from Exeter to Newton Abbot, 8 pumping stations along the sea wall route: but the leather air seals rotted and the whole project went tits-up a few years later.

Attachments

• atmos_at_dawlish.txt
    64.7 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for that, retro, seems the leather seals were the weak point all round. Had to constantly grease 'em, the rats ate the Dalkey ones :D

Back
Top Bottom