GoPro up forsale

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It seems the Gopro company is up forsale, after having a boom in the 2000s with the share price at a peak of $98 they are now just worth $6, kinda sad really, a company started by a surfer selling bits and bobs out of the back of a VW camper to raise money to design a video camera for the masses. Created a cult brand and still the yard stick that others are judged.

It seems the Gopro company is up forsale, after having a boom in the 2000s with the share price at a peak of $98 they are now just worth $6, kinda sad really, a company started by a surfer selling bits and bobs out of the back of a VW camper to raise money to design a video camera for the masses. Created a cult brand and still the yard stick that others are judged.

Thread a few weeks late.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/472263-GOPRO-company-for-sale?highlight=gopro

Go Pro would be great if they got the friggin lens-to-body orientation right. For a supposed 'action camera' they made a big faux pas. It's the sole reason I've never bought one.

And I just can't believe how many plonk them right on top of their helmets. Clearly I missed out on the Telly Tubby generation that thinks it looks OK (I won't go into aerodynamics at this point!)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Nope,not enough keep out signs around the border imho.

Go Pro would be great if they got the friggin lens-to-body orientation right. For a supposed 'action camera' they made a big faux pas. It's the sole reason I've never bought one.

And I just can't believe how many plonk them right on top of their helmets. Clearly I missed out on the Telly Tubby generation that thinks it looks OK (I won't go into aerodynamics at this point!)

You're clearly the type of rider that has to look pleasing to the eye whilst on your bike! People..... including myself, don't put them on their helmets and then stand in front of a mirror checking that they look OK! More the fact that they are capturing images of what they are looking at...... Here's hoping that your bum doesn't look too big in the next pair of pants you buy...... doesn't matter if they're waterproof..... so long as they look right! :jager

You're clearly the type of rider that has to look pleasing to the eye whilst on your bike! People..... including myself, don't put them on their helmets and then stand in front of a mirror checking that they look OK! More the fact that they are capturing images of what they are looking at...... Here's hoping that your bum doesn't look too big in the next pair of pants you buy...... doesn't matter if they're waterproof..... so long as they look right! :jager
Haha. Well, perhaps you should try the mirror some time ;-)

But really, that block sticking up of the top of the helmet is err...well you know what I think. I'm not sure who designed them, but I can only guess they don't use them. Why In god's name they didn't think to just fit the lens onto the narrow edge of the body? Even the new Virb 360 is a better form.

So, should we now move onto the aerodynamics of having said crap block sticking right up off the helmet? You know the physical part of actually using it :)

Aerodynamics!!?? I ride a GSA. Having a camera on my head is like having a house brick on the side of a London bus! Makes no difference whatsoever ..... slipstreamed doesn’t come in to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerodynamics!!?? I ride a GSA. Having a camera on my head is like having a house brick on the side of a London bus! Makes no difference whatsoever ..... slipstreamed doesn’t come in to it!

I can only imagine you must be full tosser size then ;-) Or you ride everywhere sub 30mph?

I am quite sure that when the cameras really shrink in size/become incorporated into helmets/become standard on the bikes etc etc. We will look back at pictures of people wearing the gopro atop of the helmet and, err...have a laugh :). I've just got a head start, that's all ;-)

I don't doubt the camera's capability and yes the whole gopro eco system is great. But the the form factor...is all wrong (for helmet mounting I mean)!

Anyway, enjoy the moment. Just please don't look in the mirror :))

Tosser sized? No! Normal dimensions. I sacrificed looking like a “Tellytubby” over quality of image. And so far after many years of using Gopro equipment, no issues in performance, which I think is less than can be said for some cameras as I’ve been told by those that have used them. They may look a bit cumbersome but they are getting smaller. I have in fact gone for the smaller, albeit still cubed shape but it’s something I’m happy to have anywhere on myself or the bike. Each to his own I suppose and whatever your budget can stretch to. Happy riding.

Tosser sized? No! Normal dimensions. I sacrificed looking like a “Tellytubby” over quality of image. And so far after many years of using Gopro equipment, no issues in performance, which I think is less than can be said for some cameras as I’ve been told by those that have used them. They may look a bit cumbersome but they are getting smaller. I have in fact gone for the smaller, albeit still cubed shape but it’s something I’m happy to have anywhere on myself or the bike. Each to his own I suppose and whatever your budget can stretch to. Happy riding.

Ah, yes the Cubes. They look interesting and finally a form factor that I can see working.

I see there are two versions. At the risk of hijacking a thread, anyone using one of these Cubes? I'm not clear if they operate in dvr mode?

Right now I'm using a Drift Stealth. I can honestly say I forget it's there, at all speeds and all weathers. Had a Drift Ghost 2 before - which is as bulky as the GP Heros BUT the lens position is in the right place. But I'd be interested to know how the GP Cube compares...

ps.well done for bring a medium sized tosser :))

The lid is heavy enough without having something else strapped on, bet some have Sena one side and gopro on the other, :blast

I’ve had the full size GoPros and the smaller session, now using a virb elite, image quality is about the same unless you want 4K, I liked the session, and may go back to one but the virb has gps tracking and doesn’t curve the edges as much as the go pros, I’m not a lover of wide angle lens, but the session is ok on the narrow setting. The virb has amazing battery life as well

Exactly. My Touratech panniers are hardly streamlined. :D

I’ve had the full size GoPros and the smaller session, now using a virb elite, image quality is about the same unless you want 4K, I liked the session, and may go back to one but the virb has gps tracking and doesn’t curve the edges as much as the go pros, I’m not a lover of wide angle lens, but the session is ok on the narrow setting. The virb has amazing battery life as well
This is useful. I'm interested you'd consider going back to the cube. Like you, I'm not so happy with distortion from the lens. But maybe I should look at the cube. Does it have a dvr function?
The lid is heavy enough without having something else strapped on, bet some have Sena one side and gopro on the other, :blast
I agree. Exactly my thinking. And the drag from the Hero version of the GP cameras strikes them off my list, as, ahem, mentioned above.

You’ve actually answered your own dilemma there. The curved edges to the Gopro session are actually a setting and not down to the camera. Change the setting! Never suffered with battery problems and I tend to film all day. Just carry extra battery, charge one while using the other! Or plug the session into a charger. Another function that allows it to film and keep charging

Back
Top Bottom