Air cooled K25 2007 retrofit genuine aux lights

botus

Reaction score
I had a look but haven't found a tutorial, apologies I guess there must be one. On line I found a how to fit by BMW but it says fit a yellow mini relay in a place where there is just a void with no loom anywhere close.

I have both the switch and the loom plus the fuses.
When I plug in the loom under the tank the whole lot goes live. Which seems odd, as at the 4 pin plug it has a perm live, a switched live, plus an earth and one other.
I wondered if with no load the canbus wouldn't switch correctly, so plugged in some lights and with the key off, they just light up. With the switch in circuit or not, switch in either position or not and indeed key in either position they just light up regardless. Like this the Switch lights up green in the on position but nothing switches.

Then I found the BMW fitment PDF
- that specifically says there is no coding required
- but its a good idea as helps out with diagnostics in the future
- and it says under the chassis and DME is two relay positions - No there aren't.

There is a big end of loom taped up to the side of the left chassis rail, which seems to have some plastic termination but haven't cut back cable ties and removed the fabric tape to take a good look. Then found someone selling a whole BM set with 2 x yellow mini relays

There is an I level update for the bike that's its never had. It was updated to Jan 2008 when first delivered. Any advice appreciated.

Only interesting bit I came across is there is an official retrofit available to add ASR (traction control to the early R1200's which I never knew about) - you need to hack the FSC if you want to do it at home ( 1361772872 ). But that's easy.

Yeah.....I've been waiting for a financially easy month to get the traction control fitted to mine.
€500 all in from the main dealers.

Sent from a U11

if you own a laptop and have a broadband connection the rest could be all done at home yourself for £100

£50 quid for the switch gear and £50 quid for the cable. The software to do any coding, I level updates or generate FSC codes are all freely available (could even get the last 2017 version for Mini, RR and all BMWs thrown in with the cable)

Does anyone have a picture of where the mini Yellow relay goes to get aux lights to switch please?

OK, maybe I'm being a bit stupid

the main loom on the R1200GS K25 307 is exactly the same as the Adventure one. so there no great reason I'm having this issue.
The parts diagram says I need a yellow mini relay and I have one but NO idea where it might go....
The 4 pin feed under the petrol tank where the Aux loom plugs in, is powered, on both a permanent 12v and a ignition switched live.
What I don't have is anyway to switch stuff off (the lights are on all the time) - but NOW I see the BMW pdf about not requiring coding is for a later model (2008 bikes) which does have a different loom and the relay sits under the ECU modules.

Anyone have a tutorial here for the 2007 and earlier bikes ?

well one more thing to try tomorrow and we'll see where we are,
can't believe the tech support here is so willing and able......

tried to code the lights yesterday but couldn't find what I was looking for....
then when trying something its said can't code ZFE, but when I checked it runs the same ZFE module as the Adventure which runs the lights as Std. The gadget showed the option to code the ASR in the DME, but its not needed on any GS so not to bothered about having it or not.

so main loom and chassis box of tricks (ZFE) is the same on both models. Whilst trying to find clarification if an I-level update would give the menus to let me code the lights, the only release notes I have found on new toys coming available with software updates (I- level) is an old 2008 doc .....but re reading it now maybe an 0307 gets this and the document doesn't fully explain things???

Retrofits
The following retrofit options have been implemented for the R 1200 GS (type code numbers 0303, 0313):
0303 is a 2008 bike
-Heated handlebar grips
-Antitheft alarm system
-LED flashing turn indicators
-Auxiliary headlights (option code 0562)

(I left in a few other bits below for guys running never updated early software, in case you didn't know that's most likely everyone of you!)

R-Series

DME (engine management)
Series-specific program and data status modifications/enhancements and bug fixes:
Applies to all R-series models:
-Improves the sensitivity of knock control
-Rectifies the "acceleration pinging" situation that has given rise to customer complaints (..... mine does this like crazy around 6300 on full chat on a hot day)

Model specific R 1200 GS (K25, type code numbers 0307 and 0317) with optional extra "On-board computer" (option code 539):
-Revision of fuel-level reading/ fuel-level characteristic.

-Fault-code entry as soon as short circuit is detected at pin 57 of plug J1 (radio supply) with status "ignition OFF" and radio switched on.
Applies to motorcycles with construction status as of production interruption 2007 (model year 2008).

ZFE (chassis)
-Optimized computation of fuel-level readout, including valuation of the CAN signals "side-stand switch" and "quantity of fuel injected".

Kombi (instruments)
-Correction of flash-code frequency for odometer reading from 0.1 Hz to 1Hz if there is a difference between the odometer readings stored in the instrument panel control unit and the BMS-KP.
-Average consumption increased continuously after 3700mi. (without RESET).

RDC (TPMS)
Modification of self-diagnostics (diagnostics functionality):
-Correction to fault code memory entry which is issued when there is
an incorrect road-speed signal. The frequency counter is now reset
when a valid road-speed signal is sent.
Optimization of the tire pressure monitoring readout (RDC) in the instrument panel.

DWA (alarm, oddly linked to RDC)
-Optimization of the tire pressure monitoring readout in the instrument panel.

DME (engine management)
on an even later update
New BMS-KP data releases for all R series models
Review of cold start behaviour and stepper activation for improved idling.

well one more thing to try tomorrow and we'll see where we are,
can't believe the tech support here is so willing and able......

I have no idea what you're talking about. It is quite possible I am not alone in this - hence the lack of replies...

yes, its rather scary....

most vehicles moved to a can bus wiring system in the last 15 years.... it’s supposed to be a flexible, simple, low cost way to wire up stuff and make it easy to include more toys / technology with less wires

however its often full of bugs and sadly the fact they can simply be removed, is for the end user mostly a well kept secret. fixing faults is less lucrative that selling new vehicles

where the bugs cause enough complaints from an owner inside warranty, occasionally they will update software... and mainly for other markets in a few cases, a subversive IT guy will include new features that makes re adding a later models toys a possibility (hence the name in the release notes I gave where it says "retrofit"). Where a later feature is desirable, the software to make it function, although there hidden inside an update, ends up locked and needs a "paid for" key code to unlock the toy/feature. An “FSC”, in their speak unlocks and authorises its fitment to a particular vehicle.

Anyway... unlike Merc, that still to this day persist in a one at a time fix per module (that's 50 separate modules/computers on my car, requiring up to 50 separate coding session to get my car up to date - which incurs multiple hours of operator time and much cost) BMW circa September 2008 changed, from the one at a time approach, bodging any old rubbish software on their vehicles, to a consolidated all in one go method.

This vehicle integrated software updating process, ensures all software added is allegedly compatible with software in other modules for a given vehicle. Here each module gets flashed with updates in one hit, bringing all modules to the same integrated software version “I-level” as they call it.

On a car with say 40 modules that's a 3 hrs session plugged in to call home to Germany - check what's new and update the whole vehicle with all the improvements and bug fixes they have dreamt up since it was built to the point you do an I- level update. It’s only an hour of the operators time, the rest is tea drinking.

On the bikes being somewhat simpler, with a complex one only having 5 modules, it takes much less time. But they still don't do it. After all why take 15 minutes to make the bike better when the sales guys can waste 3 hours of your life selling a new one.

The modern approach to slap dash coding means BMW have 3 official releases of its software per year (which depending upon fun, may have multiple minor bug fix releases in-between) so a bike sold in Feb 2017 might have 15 later version of software out there that in most case will never be put on the bike.

My bike can clearly support the simple addition I want... it just doesn't know how. But very a simple software fix will cure that and at the same time will stop a dangerous detonation issue damaging the engine, make it idle better, stall less often, make the instruments display the right info and improve the quality and reliability of the tyre pressure sensor reading

but 10 years down the road it never had it... Even after, whilst still in warranty I complained about its idling / stalling and detonation issues and was informed "there was no way to fix it..." whilst they fully knew the reality was a fix was easily available... was basically free to put on the bike, and would take slightly less time than it would for me to have a coffee and put my crash helmet on, ready to ride home happy on a better safer bike!

8 mins 50 seconds to code the whole vehicle... in workshop 13:53 minutes

interestingly I wonder how many bikes got "000131600000 update for knock control function".
Not sure if I have this now that the engine map is at 7719863 (or according to my diagnostics app 07719873)
or if that fix was part of 7714911 which dates back to 2008 (or according to my diagnostics app 077171143)

Tickover seems more stable and subjectively seems a bit better/smoother. But not really ridden much since it was done 3 hrs ago

so... worked it out

the original loom for axu lights on 2006 to 2007 bike comes with a relay as part of the loom and does stuff they never needed to do... the 2008 bikes went normal

on the 2006 to 2007 hex head bikes the 4 pin connector under the tank above the ZFE is actually

Pin 1 Red Green - Perm +12v
Pin 2 Purple - Neg when engine running
Pin 3 Brown Purple - Ignition Switched +12v
Pin 4 Brown - Perm Earth

so using a 2008 loom I need to cut the red and add a relay.... when all it really needs is better software and or the "ZFE high" fitted to later bikes (which is the part you buy these days for the 2007 bike when you get a replacement - instead of the ZFE basic) and in software you ought to be able to code the red perm live to off until the middle two connect (via handlebar switch) and the can bus inside the ZFE switches the red to on

re the I-level update the change to the way the bike rides is ridiculous

the change is hard to believe possible with just software.... it was a bag of nails beforehand, now the whole engine is quieter smoother ... it like the difference between riding ear plus in vs out

put the bike back together and went to swap out the worn left grip for the 2009 spec ones that don't run at melting point trying to give third degree burns to match the right one I did years back

fits although instead on two screws top and bottom it takes one long screw... but it came with the later swtichgear with ASR and ABS button, so I thought maybe I should fit it so I can turn on traction control. Fittings and loom colours are identical and it works just the same. I didn't get round to enabling Traction as dam sure it will just annoy me more than it can ever help. If I don't like the speed the wheel's going round funny enough BMW fitted a thing on the right bar that controls it. I just turn it back a bit and the wheel goes the speed I want. BMW's computer just wants to switch the engine off and go home when ever it detects the vehicle is accelerating normally.

As an aside the cooler running right grip comes with the part that should be a safety recall and allows the brake lever to move through its travel and not foul the throttle cable.
This later 2008 throttle grip housing, bolts on with the throttle cable running over the top of the brake lever and fits with a subtle tweak of the cables 90 degree bend. Tweak this to about 100 degrees and its all good bolts straight on.

Remembered an important part about the safety mod above...

This later 2008 throttle grip housing, bolts on with the throttle cable running over the top of the front brake lever and fits with some subtle tweaks

1) The cables 90 degree bend from throttle housing). Tweak this to about 100 degrees and its all good bolts straight on

2) Whilst doing the job, unbolt the cable clip down beside the chassis plate (in front of the petrol tank), pull off the end of the throttle cable (whilst grip in bits) turn 180 degrees and refit spinning this metal clip 100%. Now re bolt holding the cable running in front of the chassis plate (not beside). The later safer throttle housing (allowing the brakes to work fully) means ideally you need a 15 mm longer throttle cable, however this repositioning of the cable clip allows you to get away with it and it will go lock to lock without the cable pulling tight

What SW are you using to do the coding / i step mods?

The Reason for the 3 versions of ZFE are to do with the early bikes having the option of non ABS

If i remember pin 33 on the ZFE basic is the ABS data pin - it's looking for a trigger from the ABS module which as you know sends via the CAN bus to the kombi.

Which incidently is ready for a lot more functions - if you run a kombi check using GS911- all the suspension options show in the LCD -

Bikes without ABS have a ZFE low - Nothing on pin 33 - so not expecting any ABS data ( not that it would get any)

What SW are you using to do the coding / i step mods?

not sure you are correct.

Mine was the last of the original GS1200s it has ABS 2 and runs a ZFE low with no options to code anything

I-level was is
from the factory - may 2007 - K024-07-05-520
last update when it was registered - jan 2008 - K024-08-01-500
current version - jul 2017 - K024-17-07-500

the model after (2008 to 2010, with black cyl barrels and the better gearbox which has the Honda style, lever moves in top gear) runs a ZFE high uses the loom I got hold of for a K250 ? where you can switch on bulb diagnostics for aux lights in the ZFE. I think the lights just work if you put a relay in the bike's main loom so its already enable in the ZFE?

I added a relay to the "later wrong" loom and its works just like the original would have now.... no coding, aux on, indicator lights green on the switch, power comes in once engine running for more than 1 second.

Checking today I can now have ASR - thus on ebay 3 weeks back someone was selling a brand new left switch gear for 10 quid, which means total parts including the later engine software update from BM could have been done for 40 pounds !!!

either

1) the later engine map adds the function, but its just off in DME software (I suspect its this)
2) the fact I added the switch gear with ASR button (doubt you actually need this, I think its only there to play modes / turn off
3) options to enable turned up in a software update for the tool I'm using

of course could be a bit of each....

I'm using motoscan

https://translate.google.com/transl...u=https://www.motoscan.de/&edit-text=&act=url

The Hexhead GSA “auxiliary headlights” are needed because the main headlight with halogen bulbs is so woefully bad. But they only give a dipped beam pattern. The already weak main beam looks even worse when the aux are on.

They are wired with a separate fuse box and switch so not affected by canbus. This is how I would go for a later bike. Fuse, switch, relay, lights. Sorted.

I run the throttle cable ABOVE the brake lever in order to make the indicator OFF tab easier to access. It moves the switch block forward putting the indicator switch out of sight and the indicator OFF tab is now much easier to operate. Who the F knows why BMW could not have toggled ON/OFF on each indicator tab.

Is that possible via Canbus software? It would be a big win in my book as Ive never got used to that silly indicator off switch.

yes, the "on" element of the old GS indicators works very well,
the off is a disaster and would be helped no end by it also being on the left bar. Imagine how great the world would be if 2 minutes of code written 10 years ago was put on your bike taking at least 6 milliseconds of programming during a service and they could have just made the on button an off button as well.... (after all they already plugged it in checking for fault codes and resetting the service indicator)

by the way the software update gave my K25 self cancelling indicators !!! they have the exact same "new" functionality as my K1300 got this year when both bikes received an I-level update.
Its a little rudimentary but it works and after a number of flashes they just turn themselves off on both bikes now. It must be distance traveled, as it changes the number of flashes from round town to that on the open road. I get "about" 33 flashes in town and "about" 21 at 70mph

Back
Top Bottom