Grindelwald Switzerland

jp842

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for biker friendly accommodation in or near the Grindelwald, Switzerland. Thanks in advance..

Hi

Say my hello back ,we were not blessed with good weather but she was great and very helpful when i had a bike problem, Forgive me cannot remember your good ladies name

Dave:thumb

+1 for the Hotel staubbach, get the right room for a great view of the falls.

If you're on a budget, remember it is Switzerland :D this place: http://www.mountainhostel.ch/ is worth a punt. They have twin rooms or dorms. If you're you'll get a dorm to yourself. It's not in the centre of Grindelwald but about a 15 minute walk will get you there.

Hi JP. Went snowboarding there last year and stayed in the Hotel Spinne in the middle of town. It was great, with good food,sauna,steam room,etc etc.

managed to stay twice there last year - its a lovely place.

first trip at the Derby on an "organised" tour - we stayed at the Derby hotel - right at the rail station and a fantastic location - they let us park our bikes just off the railway platform in an undercover area. This was a good location, you dont hear a single noise from the railway station - my only complaint would be that it was difficult to get a beer at the bar later in the evening.

Second time with the wife on the back we stayed at the "Sunstar Alpine" which is kind of the other side of the town centre and also a good location. This was really very nice - we upgraded to a junior suite which had a living room and large balcony looking at the Eiger. The sunstar had a nice pool facility too. I just abandoned the bike outside the hotel and they were fine with it. I can't imagine auto-theft is much of an issue in those parts!

I love grindlewald - it is spectacular but so very very expensive!!

In the summer, on wednesday nights, the road through the town centre is closed and there is live music and "pop-up" bars in the street - its a great atmosphere. Otherwise, check out "avocado bar" for a great beer choice with a balcony facing the Eiger and its even reasonable prices (relatively!)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, you have given us much food for thought. We are going in June en route to Lake Como, and having seen a video of it, the Grindelwald is a must..

The Jungfrau railway is a bucket list experience, however it is prone to the weather (low cloud = poor visibility). You get to look out of the north face of the Eiger and go to the top at 3,500m.

Oh - its not cheap CHF 190!

https://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/en/tickets/bergbahn/?___from_store=en

A cheaper alternative is the Grindelwald First lift. You get cliff top walks and then can descend by go cart and scooter.

First-Mountaincart-Panorama-Eiger-Wetterhorn-Grindelwald.jpg

Trottibike-Grindelwald-First-Eigernordwand.jpg

Another vote for the Hotel staubbach, a group of us stayed theree in 2012, also on route to Como and then on down to Monaco. Angie was most helpful with a lot of local info, especially as one of the guys Bandit was playing up and we needed a few bits from a local bike shop.

We stayed in the Belvedere. Try to get half board if you can, the food there is exceptional.

my wife and i did what the poster in post17 has suggested - went up the "grindlewald first" - had a drink at the top, did the walk and the "cliff walk" which is also very good.

we then descended down the mountain - the first part by Zipwire which is good - the 2nd part by those 3-wheeled mountain karts - now this was fantastic! - they have mountain bike disc-brakes fitted but really it just locks the wheel up - so you can lock up the inside wheel to help you with cornering. For a safety conscious, germanic place you could get into some serious trouble on these things! - you descend about 2500 feet on the mountain cart.

the third stage we took those standing scooter things - which again you descend a couple thousand feet into gridndlewald with them. They're hard work as you are constantly using the rather ineffective brakes but still its an experience.

Back
Top Bottom