Crashed 1290 SAS on Ebay

Paul S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well not that I'm suggesting that this is the case here but I do know of a Birmingham based BMW dealer who had their demo GSA thrown down the road and did no more than send it southward bound to their sister companies budget bike clearance centre for sale

Could be a good buy for someone if the bidding does not get silly ]

It will make exactly what the dealer wants for it, so don't expect a Bargain, I'm sure staff members will bid it up.

I also question why the dealer did not fix it up, must be a little slow in the workshop with mechanics sat around with little better to do.

I did once do up a write-off, only once, I soon learned costs mount up very quickly and at the end of it I spent all my spare time for a few months to end up with a bike that cost me more than an undamaged one would of done and it held a lower value due to the crash stigma.

Might work out OK for someone looking to lash it up a bit and get a "cheap" bit of fun, I quite like the street fighter look.

The winner made one bid 8 seconds before the auction ended and nothing else in the last 30 days.....

I took it to 7000 for the craic, if i wanted it i would have my final bid in 1 second from ending.

I took it to 7000 for the craic, if i wanted it i would have my final bid in 1 second from ending.

Very risky strategy.
The difference in finnish times between my iPad and iPhone on eBay is 2 seconds.

Both connected to wifi.

Crazy money

..............it went for £8,430.00 :eek:

That's a lot of money for a broken bike.

Especially when you can buy a perfect low mileage 1290S for about £3000 more.
Who knows what's exactly wrong with that bike.

Dealer refused to itemise all the faults.
Can't blame them for that, as it's very easy to not find everything.

Then they could wind up getting the bike returned for a full refund.

Very risky strategy.
The difference in finnish times between my iPad and iPhone on eBay is 2 seconds.

Both connected to wifi.

I have done it a fair few times, just hovering over the confirm bid button, I have 2 windows open, one with ebay and the other with a clock. My theory is: If I get it with a few seconds to go great if i miss it so what its only a motorcycle. 8 seconds is a lifetime on Ebay. It was a ok buy at 7000 but not at the price it went for.

That's a lot of money for a broken bike.

Especially when you can buy a perfect low mileage 1290S for about £3000 more.

..........for £4k more I got a brand new racing black one :D

That is of course assuming that the high bidder actually pays up ;)

So for £4k more you get a brand spanker.

Compare that against the cost to repair the damaged one, the lower value if the accident is recorded and the constant niggle at the back of your mind that you’re riding around on a used bike that’s been slung down the road.

I’d buy the new one.

I thought they were 14 and a half grand. Discounting already, not good for resale values.

I thought they were 14 and a half grand. Discounting already, not good for resale values.

Think I would have checked on prices before bidding on a crashed bike.
Been discounted for months. Bit like most things. Some people happy to pay full retail if they have a px.

Happy with the price I paid for both of mine. However...wasn't looking for the cheapest 1290S in the UK. Wanted it from my local dealers. But as we all know. There usually not that local.

...when there are perfectly good sniping apps about.

I have not used an e-bay auction to buy anything for years now because of these, I buy a fair bit of crap with buy it now as it is an easy place to find things and order them, and will use the classifieds for buying and selling bikes - had great results selling on e-bay.

2018 models are now £14,699.

As for resale values - you have clearly done no research into owning a KTM :augie

Much as I love KTM's, I would only ever buy a KTM if it came with a decent discount ;)

Back
Top Bottom