Alpkit or Rab ?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have to replace my sleeping bag because I lost mine with the rest of my kit..... hopefully I shall get some money soon, so starting to consider the replacements. I only used the Alpkit once, in a house (the night before the incident!) so I didn't have a chance to really try it out for real. Pipedream 400 it was, seemed to tick all the boxes at the time, but now, 18 months later near enough, things might have moved on.

So, there are these two good companies, any others to consider that people can recommend? I have the chance to change my mind, so all guidance will be taken into consideration.

Requirements are simple really, light, compact and warm down to hard frosty nights, I can use a liner to increase performance a bit if need be. I doubt I shall do the Elephant again, but I will do a Dragon again and other adventures, by sea and by road. The hydrophobic aspect for moisture repellancy has its appeal.

Rab gear is very good,but i also have a lot of mountain equipment gear, A nice down sleeping bag that had elastic in its panels so you can stretch your knees out (side sleeper)

Dave:thumb

I've got a Mountain Equipment zero 550 which is nice. 3 season / mild winter weather ish. You can line it out to improve it.

Just this week bought an Alpkit 900 SkyHigh. It's got the Nikwax Hydro down system and rated for about minus 15C.

It's for winter camping . Seem really nice, deep loft and resistant to moisture. Important for down !!

I'll review it next week up in the high lakes . :D

Don't go off any of the replies on my thread the other day. :rolleyes:

I've got a Mountain Equipment zero 550 which is nice. 3 season / mild winter weather ish. You can line it out to improve it.

Just this week bought an Alpkit 900 SkyHigh. It's got the Nikwax Hydro down system and rated for about minus 15C.

It's for winter camping . Seem really nice, deep loft and resistant to moisture. Important for down !!

I'll review it next week up in the high lakes . :D

Don't go off any of the replies on my thread the other day. :rolleyes:
Did you find a good deal on the 900..?

Back
Top Bottom