Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 360 degree turn

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    [QUOTE=Giles;5030275)

So riding your bike with just one hand down a twisty quiet lane, will teach you so much about how it steers, how you have an input on that, and how, through tension, you can fuck it up yourself !!
    [/QUOTE]

On the other hand riding a borrowed enduro bike down a rutted Scottish firetrack whilst stood up with one hand on the throttle and doing a hand signal with the other hand can cause serious tension when the front wheels hits a pothole, the steering throws the bike to the left, and the bike heads off towards a deep firebreak. Don’t ask how I know this

On a more informative note in addition to the excellent advice from Giles and others I picked up another tip from the BMW demonstrator at the NEC whilst listening to his spiel. Make sure when you put that slow speed lock on you turn not only your head in the direction you want to go but also your shoulders. That allows you to retain a relaxed posture with both hands and arms. Try it in a safe spot. It works.
    There are but three parts to make up a man: his shadow behind, the road ahead and the clothes on his back.

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    My GS goes dead straight on cruise control on the motorway no handed but the wifey bollocks me

Cruise control at 30 mph through villages on the gs , hands off bars was my chance for a relaxing stretch.
    Never felt it had a particular bias in any direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ossa eck View Post
    Cruise control at 30 mph through villages on the gs , hands off bars was my chance for a relaxing stretch.
    Never felt it had a particular bias in any direction.
    So what am I doing wrong? Because whatever it is, I have been doing it for a very long time and many miles and not been able to iron it out. I am getting a complex about this now, as a result I am off first thing to the wildest parts of the Lake District at sparrowfart and have a bed booked in a remote YHA.....I shall see if I can put something into practise while I am out and about. I shall try and take a decent piccy while I am up there, but I am also taking a fishing rod, far more important. Beer is in the panniers, of course, only a couple if I am riding, I wouldn't want to be irresponsible, but I am not being a supercilious, PC, dry and boring prat either.

It could still be your bike ?! My Job RT won’t go straight unless I lean off it at about 45 degrees! (Although that’s probably the sea-side bucket of a siren on one side that’s doing that ..).
    Put it on cruise control, squeeze the tank with your knees, and then do the rhumba with your upper body swaying from your hips ..!
    (And let us know how you get on!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arse Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    As for the 180 deg turn on hills, put some weight on the outside foot peg. And for those of us who tour on the mainland, practise U turns to the left. You might need it

A technique I use to relax when either training, playing a game or riding the bike is to breathe, when your upper body stiffen up just concentrate on breathing and the body loosens up a bit. Good core muscles helps with posture on the bike which in turn helps the upper body to relax which also stops you from hanging on to the bars which then makes the steering so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    It could still be your bike ?! My Job RT won’t go straight unless I lean off it at about 45 degrees! (Although that’s probably the sea-side bucket of a siren on one side that’s doing that ..).
    Put it on cruise control, squeeze the tank with your knees, and then do the rhumba with your upper body swaying from your hips ..!
    (And let us know how you get on!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    What the hell is cruise conrtol on a motorbike?

I am posting this from A&E in Penrith ........

Can you ride a push bike no hands?
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Smug View Post
    Can you ride a push bike no hands?
    I have no idea. I haven't ridden a push bike for over 25 years, not since I got hit from behind and was left in a ditch for 5 or 6 hours on my way home from work.....it was only because I was late that Anna got in touch with the Police and she came out looking for me, knowing my route home. She found me when she saw my bike in the nettles at the side of the road. I was out of sight in the ditch with a broken leg and broken wrist - no the driver never stopped.

Caution : May stop suddenly

Caution : May stop suddenly

This is a pretty informative video, Bret Tkacs is a regular on Adventure Rider Radio (available as a podcast each week):

Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I have no idea. I haven't ridden a push bike for over 25 years, not since I got hit from behind and was left in a ditch for 5 or 6 hours on my way home from work.....it was only because I was late that Anna got in touch with the Police and she came out looking for me, knowing my route home. She found me when she saw my bike in the nettles at the side of the road. I was out of sight in the ditch with a broken leg and broken wrist - no the driver never stopped.
    That must have been a painful 5 or 6 hours.
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Smug View Post
    That must have been a painful 5 or 6 hours.
    Sorry for the delay in reply - I hadn't noticed your comment. It wasn't the most pleasant!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123