Fuel Capacity

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I've been having a dig around interwebs and from what I can see my 2009 1200GS has a 20 litre tank and a 4 litre reserve

The other day I was pushing my range a little and at just over 200 miles I ran out, fortunately less than half a mile from a petrol station. Filled it up and on the centre stand brimmed I could get 20 litres in.

So question - have I got the capacity wrong and it's 20 litres including the reserve or did I run out of fuel without using the reserve?

:aidan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180202-153122.jpg
    Screenshot_20180202-153122.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 739
im fairly sure that the 20ltr figure includes the "reserve" amount

So I've been having a dig around interwebs and from what I can see my 2009 1200GS has a 20 litre tank and a 4 litre reserve

The other day I was pushing my range a little and at just over 200 miles I ran out, fortunately less than half a mile from a petrol station. Filled it up and on the centre stand brimmed I could get 20 litres in.

So question - have I got the capacity wrong and it's 20 litres including the reserve or did I run out of fuel without using the reserve?
Yep, you’re wrong. The 20 litres includes the reserve, but did you not get a fuel warning light before you ran out?

Yep, you’re wrong. The 20 litres includes the reserve, but did you not get a fuel warning light before you ran out?

So this is where I’m confused. Lots of sites list 5.3 gallons which is 24 ltrs but my filling up would suggest its 20ltrs max

Had my range at 0 with the light on for about 12 miles so running out was my fault. Just confused by the capacity figures.

So this is where I’m confused. Lots of sites list 5.3 gallons which is 24 ltrs but my filling up would suggest its 20ltrs max

Had my range at 0 with the light on for about 12 miles so running out was my fault. Just confused by the capacity figures.
5.3 US gallons.

with the light on for about 12 miles so

Interestingly, 12 miles is the distance I got between fuel light coming on and engine dying when I was testing maximum range last month.

Interestingly, 12 miles is the distance I got between fuel light coming on and engine dying when I was testing maximum range last month.

My fuel light came on about 50 miles earlier - new fuel strip in mine so it comes on when it thinks I have 40 miles left

You may need a new fuel gauge methinks; 40-50 Miles is about average.

Bloody yanks. Why can’t they use the same units of measurement as anyone else!

The original gallon measure that was brought over 350 years ago got a bang that resulted in a reduced capacity which no one noticed for 50 years and the new reduced measure was by that time locked in and it would have been too much trouble to amend. 50 years of refunds. JJH

The US uses the corn gallon as the basis of a corn bushel, being a cylinder 18½ inches in diameter, and eight inches deep. This was one of a number of recognised gallons, another being the wine gallon for example. The UK redefined the definition of an Imperial Gallon after the US gained independence, meaning the US kept the older corn gallon, and this is why the two gallons are different.

The US uses the corn gallon as the basis of a corn bushel, being a cylinder 18½ inches in diameter, and eight inches deep. This was one of a number of recognised gallons, another being the wine gallon for example. The UK redefined the definition of an Imperial Gallon after the US gained independence, meaning the US kept the older corn gallon, and this is why the two gallons are different.
Brilliant and thanks. JJH

The British Imperial gallon is 8 pints or 10 pounds by weight of water. Probably the only imperial measure that used the number 10.

With 2.2 lbs/Kg it’s about 4.5 litres.

You may need a new fuel gauge methinks; 40-50 Miles is about average.

Any half decent design would have a separate level measure for the low fuel light. But it’s driven by the computer that’s fed by the same wonky fuel strip that gives fake fuel levels and remaining range available.

Ok so I have a R1200GS 2012 that I bought less than 2 months ago. Today I went to the same gas station as always to fill it. The fuel wearning light was on and it was saying something like 35-40 km range left.
I usually pay around 23-25 euros when I fill it, but today I had to pay 31.55 euros. That was 20.02 litres of fuel. The price was about the same as always. I was confused so when I came back home I checked the specs and it says the fuel capacity is 20 litres.
I had the bike on the center stand but I didn't really try to fill it completely. If the range indicator is correct, shouldn't I have around 2-3 liters of fuel left in the tank?
I am wondering if there is something I am missing here or if I should go back to the gas station to complain about it.

There are 2 things going on here. First of all the range left is very inaccurate. Even on the same bike. Also the tank is actually bigger than 20 liters. I had a 2004 gs and got 21.5 liters in. JJH

I have a 2006 adventure,
It's supposed to have a 33 litre tank.
I have on numerous occasions put in almost 36 litres and one time this year in France when struggling to find a fuel station and running on vapours I actually fitted 37,21 litres in by brimming it slowly to fit the extra litre in the top,
I'm sure the standard gs must have the air gap in the top of the tank to slow for expansion the same as the gsa that would let you get a couple more litres in.

Back
Top Bottom