Altibus warning!

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Until yesterday, I'd never used Altibus - but they are popular amongst skiers and walkers for getting to/from the Alps.

I had pre-booked a place early yesterday morning to get me from Belle Plagne to Chambery airport. The bus was supposed to depart at 05.05hrs :eek:

I arrived at the bus-stop at 04.45hrs where I was joined by two Dutch ladies with the same journey also pre-booked. 05.05hrs came and went and we waited, and waited, and waited! I tried to ring Altibus but to no avail. Eventually, at 05.35hrs, a minibus rocked up and the driver said that he was our ride. He took us down the mountain and dropped us at Aime bus station and said that a bus would be along to take us to Chambery.

When we saw the departures display, it was clear that there was no bus to Chambery - it had left 15 minutes before we'd arrived at Aime.

To be fair, Altibus came up trumps and poured us into a taxi to take us to Moutiers where our coach had been held pending our arrival.

All's well in the end, but, despite standing in the sub-freezing temperatures for nearly an hour, my piss had been on a low-simmer. :mad:

I understand your frustration but shit happens and we should judge by how the situation was resolved. From your description they did what they could. I would recommend a double dose of something strong and then get on with enjoying your holiday.

John

A quick lunchtime google shows, that in general a lot of piss has been boiled.....

Piss simmering - it's what we do best in here, except for the incontinent old farts in the airhead section:D

Not the same but...

I have skied in that area many times and since going on a coach trip all the way, leaving Downton nr Salisbury at 2pm and arriving at about 7pm the following day I refuse to coach it.

I have driven, used the ski train from Waterloo and St Pancras, the Couchette via Gare du Nord, flown to Geneva and hired a car, flown too Chambery and used a minibus in fact every conceivable way.

The train is probably my favourite, Chambery airport is chaos

Chambery airport is chaos

Yes, Chambery airport was rammed!!

I'd gone down with my buddy in his car - but he is staying for a 2nd week, so I had to make my own way back.

To be fair, Altibus resolved the matter well - but it didn't stop an anxious half-hour wondering if the bus was going to turn up at all. I think the driver had been, hem, 'delayed' by a chalet dolly.

It helped that I was travelling back light - only hand baggage. My skis, boots and a week's worth of socks and undercrackers are currently fermenting in the back of my buddy's car.

Back
Top Bottom