DRZ 400s electrical issue

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had some work done on my 2007 DRZ400s recently - new, bigger cranking battery, heated grips fitted, oversized tank, uprated shock and fork spring, carb re-furb (blocked pilot jet). Since it came back there's been an intermittent electrical fault. Sometimes when i turn the ignition key, the bike is dead up front, blank dash, no neutral light, and nothing happens when I press the start button - nothing - but the heated grips still work (they're wired direct to the battery). A minute later, if I try again it may fire up as normal like there's nothing wrong. A minute after that it does nothing again, but if i turn the key another half turn, the dash lights up and it starts on the button. Sometimes, when I turn the ignition key and hit the start button, the winker relay clicks away but the dash is blank and the bike won't start.
I replaced the winker relay but the issue is still there.
The mechanic who did the work said the bike got rained on while it was out on his drive and the tail light was on, even though the ignition was turned off.
The bike is going back to the same mechanic on Thursday to see if he can sort the problem, though he insists that it wasn't caused by anything he did!
Any ideas what the problem could be?
It's a dirt bike so a bit of rain shouldn't be a problem :blast
Saying that, it is fitted with a Lynx fairing and has HiDs in the dipped and high beam so there's quite a bit of wiring behind the fairing. I'm not sure if the fairing was partly removed when the bike got wet - in which case all the wiring would have been exposed to the rain.
Any idea why the bike will start fine sometimes with an extra half turn on the ignition key but not when it's in the normal On position, but then an hour later it starts fine with the ignition key at the normal on position?
Any advice/suggestions welcome! :beerjug:

What was the outcome of your bikes issue? I would have suggested checking the battery terminals were tight.

All sorted and starting/running perfectly - seems too have been the ignition switch but it's all fine now.

Back
Top Bottom