R1100 gs tank distance

I've had 4x 11GS's since 1998... Approx 100k on them and in various states of performance... Par is 10miles per litre so 45 a gallon... A bit less on short trips or if caning it... A bit more on predominantly sub 70mph trips or long runs... They are all a bit different and my latest 99 one is the best engine and best for fuel... Lots of other bikes as well but 11GS's are pretty stable... Approx 180-200 to the light and I have maxed out at approx. 240 miles... The light is good for just short of a gallon but don't bank on it...:)
Thanks wrigsby mine is also a late 99 version

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hi neo, I've had the light come on at 200 miles, and got to 244 by steady throttle and speed about 50-60 mph.
But was glad to find a petrol station phew.
Al

Cheers big Al I have fuelled up again since I have seen the light will keep receipt and see where I am with it I will try to ride with more restraint on this tank and see where it get me on the same kind of roads (only pleasure no commute) I use my van for work

I did 200 miles and saw the light.
Cheers brut33 (still got some) 🤣 I will try to see what I can eek out on this tank last few were normal to sometimes spirited riding but not thrashing it I don't think the boxer engine is a screamer I like to feed off the torque kind of pre 4k

Hi guys

Latest few tanks as not much riding I only managed 170 again, I have bought a standard exhaust so may try that out for a few tanks to see if there's ant difference to the mpg

Bog standard 200 to the fuel light.
I think mines running rich , it has the cat removed and the Remus maybe I need to get an Oxygen sensor and for the original exhaust back on and see what the difference is

I've read several times that the 1100 don't respond particularly well to having different pipes to the o/e fitted. Also I'm not sure many UK bikes (1100s at least) have cats - maybe fitted to the last ones? If it was no cat as standard then the ecu will operate as designed in open loop mode, I would imagine if it was originally cat and therefore closed loop you may have problems if the cat was removed.

I've read several times that the 1100 don't respond particularly well to having different pipes to the o/e fitted. Also I'm not sure many UK bikes (1100s at least) have cats - maybe fitted to the last ones? If it was no cat as standard then the ecu will operate as designed in open loop mode, I would imagine if it was originally cat and therefore closed loop you may have problems if the cat was removed.

Blimey you know your stuff mines a 99 model ? Maybe i need to hunt for the connector loom end

Not really, but I've had conversations recently with someone who does. I do think that if you can put everything back to standard for your model year then at least you get a base line to work with. If it turns out your bike should have a cat and you re fit all the gubbins needed then the ecu will 'learn' the state of your engine via the o2 sensor to a certain extent and adjust the fuelling accordingly. That's the benefit of closed loop fuelling I guess.

That’s what I thought, I have sourced a standard exhaust I just need to get the oxygen sensor now

If I'm fully loaded with camping gear and at motorway speeds, then I'll need to fill up at around 180 miles.
If normal riding 200 miles.
If pottering around on holiday I can get 270 miles.

I have a gsjohn chip - you'll get your money back in no time :thumb

I need to get a chip,I have so since learnt that in the UK they didn't have sensors and catylitc converters and my since sourced standard exhaust has no hole for one..literally just finished turning spanners on it so will test ride another day as roast pork is in the oven (mother's day treat for the wife) man she's like a sewing machine now

Back
Top Bottom