Irish Photo Rally 2018

Another day out on the bike. I planned a way to put manners on the sat nav and for the most part it worked. It still needs some training. 365 miles and 4 rally points. I was out for 10 and a half hours in total. I had a choice of back roads out and motorway home or vice versa. I went for back roads out and if I had time then back roads home. It wasn't to be. I spent so much time on back roads and green lanes (2nd gear and 30mph max) that by 5:30 I was still 150 miles from home. For the last hour the rain didn't play its' part. I had all the vents open to stay cool when it started raining so I had to make a call if it was worth stopping and closing them up or would the rain stop. Wrong call. The motorway and the main road after it had loads of lying water and the subsequent spray. Anyway I made it home in one piece and the bike is safely tucked away in the shed now.

I couldn't upload the pics with Firefox. But Chrome behaved itself. Here we go. Limerick & Waterford makes it 16 for the photo rally and Dromana & O'Briens bride make it 9 for the Iron Butt.

Attachments

• 17 Waterford Sml.jpg
    17 Waterford Sml.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 15 Limerick Sml.jpg
    15 Limerick Sml.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Dromana Sml.jpg
    Dromana Sml.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 234
  • OBriens Bridge Sml.jpg
    OBriens Bridge Sml.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 232
My only advice

tl dr

gerry is on a 12 so he has to stop lots so can do this :D
lbhbh.gif

So now I have Sligo & Mayo off the photorally and Tarsaughaun from Iron Butt.
Another 430 miles on the bike today. About 200 of them were motorway or dual carriage way. But that's the price you pay for getting 3 rally points literally on the west coast and making it over and back to Dublin in one day.
I got the third point just before 5pm and had to make a decision about getting home. I could take the scenic route for half of it and then main road/motorway or just go main road until the motorway. I checked the weather app and it said no rain but my spidey senses were tingling so I went for the main road. Good call. Light misty drizzle quickly became heavy misty drizzle and eventually rain. It wasn't heavy enough to warrant putting on the waterproofs evening if both sleeves are leaking at the elbow. It dried off by Longford but by then I had soggy bottom. I got home, my best John Wayne impression into the house and a nice hot shower to finish off.
Downstairs to find chocolate cake and ice cream waiting. What more could you want.
I'll post the pics just as soon as i figure out how to add attachments again.

I did the last point today, had a weekend of rain camping, stopped at a nice campsite in Skibbereen, the Hideaway campsite, a short walk into town :thumb2

Was stopped at the viaduct and an old flying machine took off from the airstrip beside the canal, it circled around then landed and took off again, did this several times.

Attachments

• P1010382.jpg
    P1010382.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 162
I got Antrim and Derry done yesterday and without a sat nav. That unless you don't count my effin phone which kept on dying on me. That only leaves Cork, Kerry and Clare but that will need an over night pass as well as some cover in work. Nearly there after a late start.
I'd post some photos of the day but my browser won't let me add attachments. I can't even put a smilie. http://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

So now I have Sligo & Mayo off the photorally and Tarsaughaun from Iron Butt.
Another 430 miles on the bike today. About 200 of them were motorway or dual carriage way. But that's the price you pay for getting 3 rally points literally on the west coast and making it over and back to Dublin in one day.

lbhbh.gif

manc to north donegal and back in one go (only stopping for the ferry three photos and petrol)

14 hours

Another year :aidan

Attachments

• 18 Photo Rally1.jpg
    18 Photo Rally1.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 172
You took your time! You must have been slacking this year.

Oh wait, I still have 3 to go.

Does anybody know of a bike friendly B&B near Skibeereen. I have an overnight coming up as part of the plan to finish off the last 3 points.

Last three done yesterday and today. 600 mile round trip. Two days of great sunshine, cold but dry. Even with heated grips this was the last outing this year for the summer gloves. I gave up this morning and took out the winter ones. A bit shabby but warm.
I'm still having battles with the sat-nav. Going up to Kerry it gave me 20km of lovely roads but got its' own back with 9km of goat track followed by 6km of loose chippings in the semi-dark.

Also my headlight needs seeing to. On full beam it just lights up the ground about 20 metres in front of the bike. Last night I stuck myself in behind other traffic until I reached the street lights of Killarney. Not to mention the indicator that was shaken loose by the smooth Irish roads. Duck tape is your only man for on the road repairs. The same smooth roads meant that in the end I needed 5 bungee cords to stop my bag from moving about. At least this one didn't end up on fire.

All that is left is to upload them to the website. But that can wait for another night as I'm knackered now.

Just wrapped up my first full Photo Rally (coinciding with my first full year of retirement!)

Hat's off to the guys who set this up, restarted it, restarted it again and who this year took it digital! I am really grateful, what a cool way to see the country.

I got to use Booking.com a few times, a great way to find digs at a good price.

Living the dream or wha!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vkXVtU7U5ebbRtbNA

Five Days To The Deadline

Hi all,

A quick reminder that there's only five days left until the deadline for Irish Photo Rally 2018. If you have completed all your points, don't forget to submit your entry on irishphotorally.ie. The website will stop accepting entries at midnight next Wednesday, 7th of November. If you're planning to submit a paper album, now would be a good time to post it.

If you have a few points left to get, you might still have time to get them over the weekend although, with the short days, there isn't much daylight with which to take your photos.

Can I for one say thanks to all the organisers. I got a great half years riding out of the rally. Nearly all of my miles this year were spent in pursuit of those effing out of the way place and I had a great time (well nearly always).

Thanks again and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Back
Top Bottom