S1000XR SPORT SE 2015 Vs Tiger Sport 2017

Speedie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys - Having ridden a GSA LC for the last 2 years I fancy a change but I'm still wanting to have some touring ability / comfort. I have been looking at the Tiger Sport and S1000xr as the 2 bikes that I would be interested in. Has any one had both or experiences of one or the other ? Is the BMW worth the extra cost ? I can buy a new Tiger Sport for the same money as a 65 plate lowish miles XR. What can you tell me ?
I know that a proper road test is the key really but its hard work at this time of year picking a half decent day. I don't mind the cold but you can't push it too much when its icy , wet or snowy .

Cheers in advance

Mick

The XR is a cracking bike - (Mine replaced 10yrs of GSA ownership) - and it does all the mile-munching with a lot more go and nimbleness than the GSA.

No experience of the Triumph, but I believe the latest version with the TFT screen, - is a cracking bike also.

If Tiger 800 quality is anything to gauge by (I reckon it's better built than GS800) - then the 1050 should be great also.

You need a test ride, for sure!

Hi Mick,

I ride an XR most of the year. It fits all of my requirements. I commute on it, I use it for weekend spirited recreation and it takes me and the missus abroard for weekends and weeks away.

It needs a few farkles, like an extended hugger and mudguard extension, aux lights and extended (Givi) hand guards.

I use SW Motec "lock on" alu panniers. I do about 10,000 miles a year. I never bothered with oil cooler or radiator covers.

The vibes disappeared at around 5,000 miles.

I love it but each to their own - you need to try each yourself!

Good luck,
Andy

Hi Mick, I've had both, but chopped the Tiger Sport in about 6 months ago for my GS.

Both the TS and the XR are excellent touring bikes, and I've covered many 1000's mile at home and abroad on them, camping and doing hotels.

The XR out performs the TS hands down if that's what you want, but the triple engine of the TS is brilliant.

The only thing that made me get rid of the TS was the fact it didn't have a Cruise Control, and having nerve damage in my arm, I needed a CC just for a minutes respite as and when, when doing big miles.
Now I know the latest TS does have a CC, but after having tried the CC on the Explorer (and its the same CC on them all - or was), it completely put me off. IMHO, it's on the wrong hand, and no way is it a seamless operation, so it had to go.

I'd get another one tomorrow, but I wouldn't use it for big trips.
They're both great bikes.

definitely try each you have Bowkers in Preston and Youles in Blackburn both just up the road from you try one in the morning then jump st onto the other in the PM a good close ride together will give you the answers you need

Prefer the GSA I have to the XR I owned, ok not as fast but suspension, headlight, equipment levels , fuel economy all better, plus shaft drive. The XR is pig ugly at the front imo. The vibes thing was non existent. Think I would get a ktm adventure if I wanted more power.

Back
Top Bottom