K1100 LT SE re-spray

philbuck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A week or so ago I ventured up to Hexham and took possession of a 1994 BMW K1100LT SE. Mechanically it was a very well looked after bike (thanks John), but cosmetically, it was "hurting inside", (as some of you guys already know).

My mission (should I choose to accept it - and I have), is to repaint most of it to regain her former glory. So I've started with the panniers, which have had a sorts of scuffs and pebble dashing over the recent years, as you'll see.
Next to come are the front and side panels, but we'll leave that for another day.

Here are some pics prior to work being done, and also of the prep work.

I wanted to make her a bit more unique so decided to replicate the writing which is on the lower half of the upper fairing, and copy it to the panniers. I think I succeeded.
The colour is Fjord Metallic Grey (Fjord Grau), and is 1k, with 2k clearcoat ontop.

IMAG0033Resized.jpg

IMAG0034Reduced.jpg

IMAG0041Resized.jpg

IMAG0042Resized.jpg

IMAG0043Resized.jpg

Here are some more pics of the job as it progressed, including the final polished panniers, albeit the slightly chewed up rubber sides do let it down a bit, especially where the polish is still in situ :eek:

IMAG0044Resized.jpg

IMAG0047Resized.jpg

IMAG0049Resized.jpg

IMAG0050Resized.jpg

Nice job!
Always good to see a ‘K’ being kept well, they deserve it!

That looks great! Mine is 0814 of that special edition... nice to see them being well looked after

That looks great! Mine is 0814 of that special edition... nice to see them being well looked after

Thank you. I'm literally about to put the first clear coat on the front 3 lower panels. I've also just removed the front upper and will start titivating that up, probably tomorrow, in between clear coats on the other stuff. Then it's the mirrors.

That looks great and replicating the lettering is a fine idea.

I'd love to do something similar to spruce up an old bike but I think you've probably made it look a lot easier than it really is!

Getting plastics to reliably accept paint is an art in itself not to mention the technology needed.

It looks great.

I presume you mean the "SPECIAL EDITION K1100/LT...." bit.

I cut a mask and sprayed them onto the panniers, then clear coated over them, so they're in the paintwork. :beerjug:
Oh yeah, he just cut a mask :D
I’d love to learn either from you or tunneruk just how you can do such a thing so accurately! :bow

Don't tell him Philbuck :D

If I told you, I'd have to kill you :blagblah (those days are behind me now, so my therapist told me, as he went into the hole in the ground). :eek:

Anyway, the rest of the front of the bike has now been sprayed up, and I've literally just started re-assembling the beast, but it's cold in the man cave, so I've made a coffee instead, and am going to annoy the dogs as best I can. I will resume my quest tomorrow :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom