CRF250L refuses to start...

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has any pointers to help with this one please--- crf 250l refuses to start after DIY service yesterday.

Changed: Oil and filter,. Air filter, Rear brake pads,. tank removed to help with access for checking valve clearances(all within tolerances), spark plug removed and cleaned/ gapped (rusty on the outside but the electrodes are okay and giving a good spark.

After reassembling it and filling the fuel tank it just turns over and over but will not start. Fuel pump is priming, the two relays on the left side are clicking as usual. I have tried it numerous times so I think the fuel has had chance to prime the system, unless it needs some sort of secret handshake to make it prime up...?
All fuses checked, including the main 30amp one.

Have taken the tank off again today and removed the fuel pump/float assembly to check for obvious faults-- nothing to see and as stated it does its usual whirrng when the ignition is switched on. I have disconnected and re-connected the battery to 're-boot' the electronics , made no difference.
Checked all the connections to make sure I haven't disturbed anything when taking the tank or valve cover off.

Battery is good and turns it over fast enough. In the past it starts on the button, even after 4 weeks sat idle.
Any top tips appreciated..Thanks.

Have you checked to see if you have kinked the fuel tank breather pipe? Have you got fuel on the plugs?

Hi Dave,
Breather is fine- it stays pretty much in place when the tank is taken off. I imagine the engine would start initially even if the breather was kinked, wouldn't it...? Won't rest now until I have been out and tried removing the cap for the initial priming...
Plug came out dry when I took it out to check for a spark.
Cheers.

Mmm I wonder if you could try some easy start then to see if it's fuel or electrics ?

Bisbee, you da man

BISBEE FOR PRESIDENT...:bow
It lives-- checked the breather again and it's okay so I undid the filler cap to let it breathe properly and after a bit more cranking over it fired up.:thumb2
I can only guess that it doesn't breathe freely enough through the normal breather, when the system is empty, to allow it to prime properly.
It does 80 mpg so I suppose the pump has an easy life as it's hardly flowing anything when running normally.

Thanks. The beer's on me:beerjug:if we bump into each other.

Have you tried the fuel injection reset procedure?

Turn ignition on, wait for prime, twist throttle fully open and keep fully open, while pressing starter button for 5 sec. Turn ignition off, then wait a few seconds, then try and start as normall.

Worth a try.

Glad you got sorted Steve We're bound to cross paths at some point :beerjug:

Have you tried the fuel injection reset procedure?

Turn ignition on, wait for prime, twist throttle fully open and keep fully open, while pressing starter button for 5 sec. Turn ignition off, then wait a few seconds, then try and start as normall.

Worth a try.

Cheers- not heard of this before. Will try it if it doesn't fire up tomorrow.

Cheers- not heard of this before. Will try it if it doesn't fire up tomorrow.

No problem Steve, it’s in the manual I think, just resets the throttle body and helps with a starting problem.

Back
Top Bottom